Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Jameer got 38 mill. (see Fendi's post on pg.17)

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Has the brian Schmitz blog where it's reported that they may settle on a 3 year contract in the amount of 21-24 million been posted in this thread yet?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/10/magic-nelson-ta.html

This post sounds a little better and doesn't make Jameer sound like an ***. $24 m over 3 years is high - $21 m maybe high for 3 years.

I vote $33m over 5 years - end of discussion.

him

quote:
agreed, I think he just wants more and wants to be here, but he needs to use a little more tact. saying he will leave is a negotiation tactic, that is pretty unpopular.

Wow... I think my reputation on this board is shot before it even got started... thats a couple times we have agreed on things Knappy...

But... I didn't think he said he would walk... I thought he said he was prepared to walk if a contract didnt get done... what would you have him say "If a contract doesnt get done, I'm so loyal to the Magic that I will come back abd play without a contract because I love it here so much?" lol.. I know thats extreme... but the guy has to look out for himself, we all know Otis isn't going to do that for him.

Jameer isn't that good. If we are going to shell out that kind of money, let's find another PG who isn't mediocre with an ego to match. I've said for months that our greatest need that the Magic has is a GOOD PG. Otis-go out and find us one.

6M per year is a fair and reasonable # for Jameer.

With the FA class set for next summer, Jameer doesn't stand a chance of fetching a dime more than the MLE. League execs love the potential of Monta Ellis and unless GS finds a way to create the cap room, they'll lose him as they lost Arenas & Cleveland lost Boozer through the loophole available to 2nd rounders. In addition 2 of the projected top 3 picks (Rose & Mayo) are PG's.

As Smack said, if Jameer doesn't accept it, let him find out the hard way, and we can match. If he's that confident he's worth more, earn it. Seeing that I don't trust Otis and don't want to hear Jameer whine about his impending FA all season, it would be nice to see him ink a reasonable deal now.

this could play a big difference..

quote:

According to the Chicago Tribune, league sources said if no extension was reached, Gordon's camp had discussed signing the Bulls' one-year tender offer next summer and then playing out the 2008-09 season to become an unrestricted free agent.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-071029bulls,1,5...s&ctrack=1&cset=true

having someone like Jameer in unrestricted free agency terms would never help us at all. But hey, he needs to walk the talk first.

quote:
ORLANDO - Jameer Nelson has a contract extension offer in hand from the Orlando Magic, but he is still mulling whether or not to accept it before a Wednesday deadline because it is far below his initial asking price.

"It's close," Nelson said Monday following practice. "We're not there yet, but it's close. It was where we weren't talking much at all (a couple of weeks ago) to now where it's almost like every hour.

"I'm a starting point guard. I need starting point guard money."

That said, Nelson means he wants much more money than the five-year, $30 million extension the Magic are offering. The Magic and Nelson's agent, Steve Mountain, have been negotiating since July with little progress because of the large money discrepancy.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...10300336/1002/SPORTS

I think Jameer plans on taking the three year deal, he is fooling himself to think Philly is going to use their capspace on a PG when they already have Miller.

Plus they have a HUGE hole at PF they need to use that capspace to fill.

I just don't know about this situation. In a sense I understand what Nelson is doing, he's just trying to drive up his offer some more. But at the same time, he needs to understand that he is NOT the caliber player of Dwight Howard, or ever Rashard Lewis. Obviously his offer is no where close to theirs, but what I mean by that is that I don't think he's in a situation to ask for a significantly higher paying contract. On top of that, I KNOW that OTis is trying to pay Jameer what he thinks he is worth right now. I understand the lowballing because after paying Rashard all that frigging money, now Otis is trying to be more of a tightwad with his money because he knows that is he screwed up with creative financing on Rashard, he REALLY needs to get it right from here on out with EACH player that we are going to try to keep after this year. In other words, we need to make the best possible financial decisions from here on out to insure we can keep who we really want to keep after this season, or to go after who will really help this team.

Here's the main quotes that weren't in the blog:

quote:

Nelson jokingly exaggerated his height, but his desire to get his fair market value is no joke. The $1.9 million Nelson is set to make this season (in the final year of his rookie contract) ranks 13th among starting Eastern Conference point guards ahead of only Cleveland's Daniel Gibson ($687,000) and Boston's Rajon Rondo ($1.3 million).

"I think he's played great, and he's done everything we've asked of him," Van Gundy said. "He's stepped up defensively, and he's done a good job of keeping us organized. Most importantly, he's picked his spots to attack. We don't want him to be just a playmaker and set guys up, but he also has to attack."

"All the stuff he went through this summer, I've tried to be there for him," Howard said. "I've told him his loss is my loss. He's going to get (the contract). I want him here. He's a great floor general and a leader in the locker room."

Thought I would put that in there about Jameer's height since a lot of guys were making a big deal about it. Most, accusing him of being a liar. Seems as though it was a joke according to Denton.

That's gotta be true cause we all know he ain't 6'1!

Yeah I think if Jameer has any intelligence, he will take the 3 year deal. It's a nice offer for him and think about it....if he's really planning on playing his heart out for us, 3 years is not a long time until he gets his next salary review...and if by that time he is doing wonders for the Magic, THEN he will get that money he really wants. He's still a young guy and has many more years to play in the NBA. What's the rush to lock in a long term deal now? Are you scared you might lose your stuff in a couple years Jameer? Honestly Jameer you already knew you would be in this situation around this time, talking extensions....don't take it out on us because YOU decided not to play as well as you could have last season. That's great that YOU have a ton of confidence in yourself, but you know what....why don't you show us what you can really do for us this season.

leave it up to "big brother" Howard to the rescue! Man, I think Otis is going to have to eat about 10 mill extra if he wants to keep Howard happy. Jameer knows Howard will back him up too so he is using that card too. Truth is he is NOT an 8 mill pg. Has not been the last three years and is not right now!

Jeezz, guys take it easy on th eguy who is trying to get his share of the NBA treasure hunt. I think signing him for a 3 year deal would be smart for the organization and fair to him. The only problem that I would worry about would be his attitude about the starter role if signed. Stan will give him no primadonna status about his starting role and he would have ot keep winning it all year. Could this create a rift between him and Stan and therefore affect the team?