Sign in to follow this  
~O~

Stans Preseason Coaching So Far In Your Opinion

Ever since our fall to the Hawks..everything has been going up from there. Everytime we make more than 5 threes...we win. The Magic were on a tear this preseason having dealing with nagging injuries and random rotations.....and yet were still victorious and underrated during these pre games of the regular season.

Apparently, our coach, Stan "The Man" Van Gundy, has been behind all these changes to aid us in these victories. Taking the timeouts in the right situations and putting together random yet functional lineups. The team has finally been reunited by Van Gundy with phenomenal play from the PG's, defenders, and shooters.

Stats of improvement.....9 TO's for jameer in the last 9 games...and we all know how Jameer is. With Arroyo's recent freedom, he's been able to play his style of flashy basketball..which unbelievably works as he racked up 11 assists in a single game. Lets not forget the players who were benched the previous year..Bogans and Redick....all contributing with there offensive prowess.

Seeing much improvement (although the TO's are still bad) this preseason, what do you think?!

Ever since our fall to the Hawks..everything has been going up from there. Everytime we make more than 5 threes...we win. The Magic were on a tear this preseason having dealing with nagging injuries and random rotations.....and yet were still victorious and underrated during these pre games of the regular season.

Apparently, our coach, Stan "The Man" Van Gundy, has been behind all these changes to aid us in these victories. Taking the timeouts in the right situations and putting together random yet functional lineups. The team has finally been reunited by Van Gundy with phenomenal play from the PG's, defenders, and shooters.

Stats of improvement.....9 TO's for jameer in the last 9 games...and we all know how Jameer is. With Arroyo's recent freedom, he's been able to play his style of flashy basketball..which unbelievably works as he racked up 11 assists in a single game. Lets not forget the players who were benched the previous year..Bogans and Redick....all contributing with there offensive prowess.

Seeing much improvement (although the TO's are still bad) this preseason, what do you think?!

I have nothing against SVG, but as of now, hes over rated. Anybody that have seen this team last season knew what we shouldve been doing instead of just pass to Howard for a offensive strategy and now SVG does a couple little changes and now hes the coach of the year. We always had the players, just the wrong offensive strategy. Sometimes coaches take too much credit for teams success. But im glad hes here cause if B Hill was here, then we would be 0-7 right now instead of 6-1. But us fans knew what we needed to do more than Brian Hill did. SVG just did the opposite of what Brian Hill did. Anyways SVG is the coach we needed and i hope we keep on winning. Its so sad Brian Hill couldnt see the talent in these players enough to let them play their on games. How did he get the coaching job. I want to apply. Maybe its because he took the Magic too the eastern conference championship in 1995 against the Bulls. Good job SVG!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

Ever our fall to the Hawks..everything has been going up from there. Everytime we make more than 5 threes...we win. The Magic were on a tear this preseason having dealing with nagging injuries and random rotations.....and yet were still victorious and underrated during these pre games of the regular season.

Dont forget Pat, not tonight but has been playing respectable ball all pre season. About Carlos, most people say he can only play good in international ball when in all reality he can play good if they let him play his game. SVG figured that out. I think B.Hill messed both of PGs year last year to the point that it looked like we had garbage.

Apparently, our coach, Stan "The Man" Van Gundy, has been behind all these changes to aid us in these victories. Taking the timeouts in the right situations, putting together random but functional lineups. The team has finally been reunited by Van Gundy with phenomenal play from the PG's, defenders and shooters.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

I have nothing against SVG, but as of now, hes over rated. Anybody that have seen this team last season knew what we shouldve been doing instead of just pass to Howard for a offensive strategy and now SVG does a couple little changes and now hes the coach of the year. We always had the players, just the wrong offensive strategy. Sometimes coaches take too much credit for teams success. But im glad hes here cause if B Hill was here, then we would be 0-7 right now instead of 6-1. But us fans knew what we needed to do more than Brian Hill did. SVG just did the opposite of what Brian Hill did. Anyways SVG is the coach we needed and i hope we keep on winning. Its so sad Brian Hill couldnt see the talent in these players enough to let them play their on games. How did he get the coaching job. I want to apply. Maybe its because he took the Magic too the eastern conference championship in 1995 against the Bulls. Good job SVG!!!!!!!!!!!

Stan does get overrated but if he never got on his team after that Atlanta Hawks, we would have been as good as done

I've been impressed with SVG so far. He appears to coach with a good mixture of accountability and freedom that is required in professional sports these days. I'm not on the bandwagon, but I see a seat that looks enviting.

In addition, I'm beginning to think Patrick Ewing might be an excellant big man coach as well. Last year he had Yao looking like the MVP before he got hurt and he appears to be getting the most from Foyle & Garrity in addition to D12. I don't wanna give him too much credit for Dwight's progress, but I'm noticing a trend.

SVG strategy might be to have two teams that can hold their own with a starting five.

Jameer

Bogans

D12

Shard

Turk

Then pop in with

Arroyo

Dooling

Foyle

Ariza

Yes Pat

Goal is to not allow a team to rest their starting five and run them to the ground.

quote:

You think anyone could step in and just tell the team to run? You think you could step in and do the job SVG is doing? You think there is nothing more to coaching an NBA level team than just telling them to run and stop feeding the ball inside to Dwight every time down the court?

If you think just anyone can step in and command the level of respect SVG has received from the team, get them to buy into his philosophy the way he has, then you are mistaken. He deserves a lot of credit if we go deep into the playoffs.

He isn't just saying hey guys... go play your game... he is installing plays for individual players, new defensive strategies, COACHING.

That being said, he doesn't deserve ALL the credit... look at the stepd Howard took over the summer to improve his game (just for instance). He deserves the credit for giving the team a better chance... if the guys step up and deliver, they deserve the credit for that. It's a team effort, and the coach is part of the team.

BTW... my god are we ever lucky Billy backed out... I think SVG will prove to be a much better fit for us...

quote:

Ever since our fall to the Hawks..everything has been going up from there.

Let me correct you on the Atlanta game. Stan had a commanding lead and wanted to look at some bench players allowing Atlanta to come from behind. We definitely were the better team in that game and could have easily won.

Cleveland let us get back in the first China game so I will concede that evens out the preseason record.

Because most coaches hold down minutes for key players in preseason we will need to wait for the regular season to start before accurately reflecting on what to expect; however, the shooting averages are outstanding and I think that is one area that will continue.

Pushing the ball up court in an attempt to get a 2-on-1 or a 3-on-2 is working and Dwight is not getting mauled like last year.

O-dub, we love the team and the coach- and are PUMPED!!

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

So if I'm understanding your post correctly...SVG is overrated but he is the reason we are 6-1 instead of 0-7? Gottcha, that makes complete sense.

Anyways, I thing SVG has been great. He has challenged the team when they needed to be challenged and praised them when they have earned it. He walks a fine line of being a no nonsense coach that all the players like and respect. There aren't many coaches like that in the league and they are very successful. Its obviously very early to fully evaluate the job Stan has done but he is way ahead on my scorecard so far.

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:

Ever since our fall to the Hawks..everything has been going up from there.

Let me correct you on the Atlanta game. Stan had a commanding lead and wanted to look at some bench players allowing Atlanta to come from behind. We definitely were the better team in that game and could have easily won.

Cleveland let us get back in the first China game so I will concede that evens out the preseason record.

Because most coaches hold down minutes for key players in preseason we will need to wait for the regular season to start before accurately reflecting on what to expect; however, the shooting averages are outstanding and I think that is one area that will continue.

Pushing the ball up court in an attempt to get a 2-on-1 or a 3-on-2 is working and Dwight is not getting mauled like last year.

O-dub, we love the team and the coach- and are PUMPED!!

Aww..geez, come on Solution...I know we had that game in the bag if the Hawks didn't leave there starters in and we left ours out. We beat Cleveland with our starters in and the next game we beat them without our starters in...what a tear. That showed the Real GM forum...lol. I'm pumped too!!!! WOOO!!! This one is to Brian Hill! *Breaks clipboard in half*