Sign in to follow this  
serviviente

Magic double standard

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
What has convinced you that Jameer should be our starting pg? According to your reasoning he should get benched too because after all he is a backup at best and his numbers prove it. Or are you such a die hard Nelson fan that you will continue to make the argument that he is our future leader that will take us to the promised land. The Magic stay afloat because,,,, well look at the name of the Arena.

Guardian I have read a few of your posts and you seem like a very reasonable guy. I think we can have a legit conversation on the subject which is way more than I can usually say.

The short answer is that I don't think Jameer is the answer at pg. I think he has played absolutely horrible this season and if he starts asking for an unreasonable extension this summer I think we should let him test free agency. The problem is that we have 4 point guards on this team and I don't think any of them are starting material. I suppose someone could make the argument that Diener hasn't been given the opportunity but he still looks like a backup to me.

So the question in my mind is what do we do with our point guards? I will be very surprised if Arroyo is still with the team after this season. Maybe I will be wrong but looking at the situation is seems clear that someone has to go. Arroyo has a pretty favorable contract and would make a good tradeable asset. Since the team is likely gonna try to clear caproom this summer Arroyo might have been traded anyway. Diener is tired of riding our bench and will bolt as soon as he finds a team that will play him. Dooling has already said that he isn't opting out so unless we trade him he will be on the squad next year. Jameer is still in his rookie contract which pays him around 1.5 million (If I remember correctly) a season. He still has a year until he is a restricted free agent and that rookie contract would make it difficult to get value in a trade for him since the contracts have to match. Considering this and the facts that Otis hasn't given up on him and Jameer is Dwights best friend on the team and I conclude that Jameer is likely still on the team for at least one more year.

The team has been losing with the same roster all year long. If you don't include the winning streak early in the year we have one of the worst records in the NBA. Roster changes should have been made a couple of months ago but we all know how stubborn the coach can be so it hasn't happened until now. If Jameer was to be benched and Arroyo started I wouldn't have a problem with that. In my eyes they are both playing poorly so it doesn't matter. Obviously we can't bench both of them so it has to be one or the other. It seems logical to me that since Arroyo will not be with the team next year and Jameer probably will that the Magic should stick with the guy that will be with the team next season.

I must have had 3 or 4 Arroyo fans call me out and ask me to explain why I think the way I do. I spend several minutes to type out my thoughts in a way that aren't offensive and spoken in a tactful manner and I haven't gotten a single response. Why the hell did I waste my time?

quote:

Its funny how fast the Arroyo fans are to scream racism and yet they are real quick to call someone a redneck and see nothing wrong with it.

Yeah the redneck stuff has to go but in fairness theres an under and over tone of racism in a lot of the Anti Arroyo fan posts that you don't complain about. So I think a part of it is the very isolation and us against them attitude you were aiming for. because you have a favorite player doesn't mean you are not a Magic fan especially since a number of Arroyo fans call Orlando their home.

The OP's point stands. You have a PG that has been questioned about his shoot first pass second attitude. His response - I'll play the way I play. Aziza saying that would find himself with some less minutes. JJ said that and he'd be sitting beside the water boy for the rest of the season. Darko? oh boy.

There is double standard on this team that has nothing to do with Arroyo. That has to do with a coach that plays a select bunch of players no matter how bad they are playing. It demotivates anyone who is developing. JJ contributed to one of the best wins in awhile for us a few days ago. His minutes get slashed in half because he is not in that core while Hedo and Nelson tank it with extended minutes.

quote:
I've seen a couple of blatant racist remarks and some that were even questionable. For the most part however the anti-Arroyo remarks have been exclusively limited to his game.

That "for the most part" is a great escape hatch but the same can be said for the Pro Arroyo posts. For the most part there is no reference to race by Arroyo fans. Wouldn't it just be easier to say we will see Arroyo again eventually and if he plays well we will support him getting more minutes? JJ fans got answers like that even when they were foaming at the mouth. This Arroyo and anti - Arroyo thing is just a soap opera now.

Frankly I would like to see Diener and Arroyo but for no other reason than I would like Mr Nelson to have to contemplate that his job description states PG not SG. I think its a disgrace that when questioned about his shoot first mentality he states that he should be left to play the way he plays. Give him just a little more time on the pine to think about it. He can start of course but he should be yanked at times he gets too selfish until he learns a lesson.

Reread this thread and tell me that they don't bring up race on almost every given opportunity. I've been called a racist several times (not on this thread yet) and I've never said a racial slur in my life. Jerry Sloan is a racist, Brian Hill is a racist, Otis Smith is a racist blah blah blah. This thread is actually quite subdued compared to some that I have read.

I was going to call myself a racist and how I hated black/white people, considering that I come from both sides of the fence! Unfortunately the thought of that comment brought up another fine Chappelle moment!

You surely don't need to think for that one.

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
Yep travis should get a shot at it. I'd be all for that.
The problem is that this is not in Otis plans for the future. Remember he recruiteD Jameer against all experts predictions.
well, all experts predicted that Jameer would last this long.

VIOLA! He lasted.

quote:
Forget the whole arroyo thing. I still can't believe Fendi wrote that. Hedo has a long history of tanking in games. He has not been coming out of them within a game. He's either good or bad. If you need scoring you'd sooner slide Grant to SF and bring back on Redick. Defending Hedo being in the game for scoring makes no sense to me.

Well, Hedo is a streaky player. One he gets his rhythm, he could be a huge lift. And really, who other scorers did we have on the bench?

quote:
Originally posted by el mago:

I guess alot of you just ignored the title,

maybe confused this with the bash Arroyo thread.

Most of the people who post on here have been Magic fans quite a while as they are actually taking time out of their day to post on the board. I am a Magic fan, have been since I moved to Orlando in 95. I moved here from Puerto Rico and so by the way I am also a Arroyo fan. But thats not what the thread is about.

The Magic are inconsistent and they should not be. The Magic have the talent to be a top five team in the east, and showed it in last games of last season and show it in games like the one played against Miami. So what is wrong with our Magic? Of course players are part to blame, but from watching games this season the Magics troubles seem,**IMO**,to be matchups and adjusting to them during a game. This is why they go through offensive lapses or defensive lapses, when the opposing team shifts personnel and Coach Hill does not adjust. When a player is not producing or is not executing in a game then a change should be made. Just plain logic. The "system" implemented by this coach doesnt make sense. PG's took 24 shots in game against Raptors, and made just 7 (thats less than 30%, btw). Maybe coach Hill has these guys convinced they are true scorers. These are the PG's on a team that has the best young player in the league and hes as big as a bear (no arguments bout that, huh). Howard took 13 shots. This has been going on all season and yet no change, same starter doing same *#!*, not playing any defense all year long. This is where double standard comes in.

Who is this teams apg leader? Who has highest assit to TO ratio? I havent actually looked it up but, whoever it is should be

"runnin da point".

not bad.fendi was right about how the coach was thinking."just a matter of confidence until they get back to their rhythm".i wonder why jj was not used more but we have been asking WHY all season long.

Look I like Carlos, I think he is a great back up Point Guard. He started off the beginning of the season on fire, with his production off of the bench. However he has went cold, and obviously cold enough to be benched... not my call.

Yes Jameer has been struggling just as bad... the whole team has been struggling just as bad. And yes Brian Hill has made some questionable calls with his rotation of players.

So now that we have that out of the way...

What matters is that the "MAGIC" do well and make the playoffs. No one was expecting the "MAGIC" to be a top seed this year. No one was expecting the "MAGIC" to win a championship this year. We were expecting the "MAGIC" to atleast make the playoffs.

And really as "MAGIC" fans we honestly dont care who is playing, as long at they can get the "TEAM" to the playoffs and eventially a long awaited championship.

I will not reply to posts that are meaningless and have no value. If you have a good point then I will reply.

Commmon people how old are you guys don't you just get tire of this. Arroyo fans ignore their comments they are doing it to get a rise out of you.

Non Arroyo Fans and Arroyo Haters( 2 different people) Ignore those comments from he Arroyo fans just let them be or what ever don't continue this nonsense.

We (everyone in this board) Agree that the major problem is the coach after that try not to go to war about the players is ridiculous and very kids stuff.

Hope for the best that coach desition works to at least go to the playoffs