Sign in to follow this  
Mr Charisma

Official "740 The Team" - Magic coverage thread

Just wanted to let the locals know that "740 The Team" announced that every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 5:00 PM, they will talk Orlando Magic basketball; interviewing different folks everyday (Goukas, Schmitz, Povtak, Denton, etc).

Of course it'll be Jerry and Shot doing the interviews, I'm sure, but hopefully the guests will dominate the discussion.

This should be another good source for Magic info.

Not expecting much discussion with this thread, but just wanted to let everyone know about it that may not have heard.

Just wanted to let the locals know that "740 The Team" announced that every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 5:00 PM, they will talk Orlando Magic basketball; interviewing different folks everyday (Goukas, Schmitz, Povtak, Denton, etc).

Of course it'll be Jerry and Shot doing the interviews, I'm sure, but hopefully the guests will dominate the discussion.

Not expecting much discussion with this thread, but just wanted to let everyone know about it that may not have heard.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Thanks for the scoop Charisma. Do you get a chance to listen yourself? Maybe you can fill us all in.

You're welcome.

Usually I do listen in much of that timeframe (I think they said it runs to 5:30, but I may be wrong; it might just be the 1st segment which runs to 5:15), but I normally am not back to my PC until either later in the evening, or the next morning.

I'll be glad to do it if I can, but if someone else can post the info first, more power to them.

Thanks for the info Mr. Charisma. At the least, it will be another source of more anecdotal info on the players versus the straight coverage in the print outlets.

I am going to rename this thread with the famous "official" moniker. For the time being, let's keep everything from these new shows in this one, single thread. If it becomes too cumbersome, we can do a thread each week or something.

But for now, this is the one to use. Let's keep it neat people!

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Good job Mr. "C", I was so busy today, I didn't check the board, so I started another thread, I will be more careful next time!!

Jerry and the Shot are not the most

knowledgable basketball hosts,but the show was good today with David Steele as the guest.It will be Tues,Wed. And Thur,5-530.Also on Tuesdays,The SVG show,hosted by Dennis Neuman,from 6-7 PM.

Does anyone know if Scott Anez is doing the game night show on 580?

David Steele was on yesterday. I did not get to hear the whole interview, but some of the highlights, from my perspective:

1) David LOVES the way Stan Van Gundy runs this team. He might as well have said, "Oh, THIS is how a real coach is supposed to do it !!"

2) He was ecstatic about the uptempo, 3-point shooting aspect of this upcoming season, mentioning that it may very well resurrect a career for a guy like Pat Garrity.

3) And my favorite was that he said: "I wish Grant Hill godspeed with Phoenix, but the team has for years been trying, in pre-season, to structure offenses around him, and he was never there come the regular season. With him gone, the team can now plan based on the talents of the players they have. So I really think it is a positive, not a negative, that Grant is gone." (I know I put this in quotes, but I'm sure it's not a literal word-for-word quote; but I can assure you the essence is there).

4) When asked what the team has to do to be successful, he stated that number one job is to cut down on the turnovers and, secondly, they must hold their own on the boards. They don't have to out-rebound their opponents; just don't get dominated on the boards (getting out-rebounded by 10 or more in a game). This is because he is confident that the Magic will be playing a lot small-ball, with Lewis and Hedo manning the 3 and 4 spots.

5) He obviously liked the addition of Rashard, but he was also extrememly happy about the pick-up of Adonal Foyle, praising him a lot.

Others may have heard other comments by him that they can add.

Thanks for the recap Charisma. David Steele seems highly intelligent in general, but especially about basketball. He's been able a to watch this team very closely, more closely than the media, and I would highly value any thoughts/observations he has on the team and its prospective fortunes.

For those of you who are in a position to listen to the radio in the late afternoons, you really should check out the new "Magic Behind the Scenes" shows that they are doing. I really enjoyed the interview with Richie Adubato today.

He offered an interesting perspective: a coach who has been watching this team for the past two years as a color commentator. I was impressed by what he said about SVG being able to simultaneously open up the offense without sacrificing team defense.

There will be another show tomorrow featuring Brian Schmitz and Nick Anderson.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

bump

LOL, what is going on Nyce? This has to be the 10th thread I've seen you bump today.