Sign in to follow this  
mepot

Brighthouse/FSN Thread

quote:
Originally posted by magic01:

I just saw an ad for Brighthouse on tv. It was pretty comical. I wish I could post a link to it. It was saying that they carry 43 magic games and that the viewer should be excited to see those games. This was my first time seeing this ad..if they put time into making it, I dont see this being resolved anytime soon.

Yes! I saw those advertisements also. Bright House saying they are carrying 43 Magic games, plus the playoffs! These advertisements aren't cheap! I'm already paying BH for the sports package and every other thing, including internet. I would change if I could. I live in a gated community and probably couldn't have a dish.

quote:
Originally posted by ThefutureGM:

FSN is looseing revenue but for them the future of FSN as a sports channel on basic cable is far more important then losses right now. Are the Magic really lossing money here. They already have the cash from TV deal so they don't make any money on advertising because FSN makes that cash. Like I said FSN will be the next to make a move one way or another

Sorry, I was typing quickly and my point #1 was not what I intended, and didn't even make sense. I was speculating that FSN might consider charging BRIGHTHOUSE (not the Magic) less to carry the games, IF a lot of their revenue came from advertising rather than fees paid by the cable companies. I agree that FSN is not willing to have their channel put on a pay tier and lose maybe 90% of their potential audience. Rather then set that precedent, they won't air the games at all.

As far as the Magic are concerned, they make a few extra bucks this year, yes, but they're damaging their fan base and will have trouble getting revenue from the TV rights in the future. That sounds like bad business to me, and I suspect it sounds that way to the Magic also.

Also, just a question, are you certain that the deal between FSN and the Magic doesn't include any percentage (even a small percentage) of advertising revenues going to the Magic? I have no idea how such things are normally structured, but I do wonder about that. If it did, then the Magic could be losing some TV revenues even this year.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Rabid fans become casual ones and casual ones lose interest all together. Since Fanbase = $$$$, no organization can afford to let this kind of erosion continue with being affected financially.

Some damage has already been done, the longer it drags on the more people will blame the team and not Brighthouse or FSN.

Very well put bhnole, I agree 100%. You and I and LDM all agree on this, and I suspect that many if not all in the Magic organization share these concerns also. The question is what, if anything, they will do about it. An infusion of $$ from the Magic to either FSN or Brighthouse could solve this problem tomorrow.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Some damage has already been done, the longer it drags on the more people will blame the team and not Brighthouse or FSN.

I think the team will be blamed and rightfully so. They are the ones who made this decision knowing that Brighthouse didn't have FSN and that just a few years ago Brighthouse played hardball with renewing Sunsports. Sunsports was off the air for many weeks. I can't believe they thought it would be a cakewalk to get Brighthouse to add FSN.

I don't care who is to blame but the magic front office should man up and just fix this. It'll only hurt the franchise in the long run. I'm starting to get really frustrated about this. I was planning on going to as many as 3-4 games this year(I live in Tallahassee most of the year and am on a student budget, but was willing to make the sacrifice) and now I'm tempted to save my money and get league pass. That or just not do anything and keep my money and thumb my nose at all parties involved.

This was in the Sentinel today-

Bright House representatives said that negotiations are still going on and have moved from the local level to the corporate level. But FSN/Florida officials said there hasn't been any "meaningful dialogue" since before the season started.

"We have made several proposals in response to Bright House over the last three months and they've essentially walked away and told us not to expect a counter proposal," Weeden said. "Unfortunately, it doesn't look good for an agreement any time soon."

Fenger said he didn't have a lot of confidence that a deal would be reached and said the logjam could continue in future years.

"When we made the decision to move to FSN, we were given a reasonable assurance that they would be able to work out an agreement," Magic Chief Operating Officer Alex Martins said. "We all believed that with the Magic product being in such high demand, it would help both parties find common ground and strike a deal. I certainly did not believe we'd be at this stage without an agreement."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/...ov06,0,5336288.story

What is next? Are we going to see televised debates on this?

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

"When we made the decision to move to FSN, we were given a reasonable assurance that they would be able to work out an agreement," Magic Chief Operating Officer Alex Martins said. "We all believed that with the Magic product being in such high demand, it would help both parties find common ground and strike a deal. I certainly did not believe we'd be at this stage without an agreement."

Incredible. The Magic keep making the same mistake. I'll take the above statement and make a few minor changes, and you will see what I mean.

"When we made the decision to draft Fran, we were given a reasonable assurance that we would be able to work out an agreement," Magic Chief Operating Officer Alex Martins said. "We all believed that with the Magic product being in such high demand, it would help both parties find common ground and strike a deal. I certainly did not believe we'd be at this stage without an agreement."

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Incredible. The Magic keep making the same mistake. I'll take the above statement and make a few minor changes, and you will see what I mean.

"When we made the decision to draft Fran, we were given a reasonable assurance that we would be able to work out an agreement," Magic Chief Operating Officer Alex Martins said. "We all believed that with the Magic product being in such high demand, it would help both parties find common ground and strike a deal. I certainly did not believe we'd be at this stage without an agreement."

So what you are saying is, the Magic are believing too much.

quote:

A couple of things that sounds rediculous to me in this phrase.

"When we made the decision to move to FSN, we were given a reasonable assurance that they would be able to work out an agreement,"

But yet you didnt see it thru, you took your money and turned your back and ignored everything. Even though just a few months before the same people you are neglecting is the same people that voted to get your Arena approved.

"We all believed that with the Magic product being in such high demand,it would help both parties find common ground and strike a deal.

But you didnt ACT! You didnt see the deal all the way through

I certainly did not believe we'd be at this stage without an agreement."

Being in a big Professional business like the Orlando Magic, you'd think they know anything can happen. Especially when we are talking about a 8 Million dollar deal. Not much foresight on there part.

Of all the bad luck that Magic have had Signing Free Agents and them getting hurt for 7 years. Hiring coaches and them quitting the next day. re-hiring coaches and having to fire them for the same exact reason you fired them the previous time.

They should know most of all, that things dont always work out the way they always want it.

Heck, Maybe this is the reason they keep having things happen to them. They have to follow thru.

I draw residential homes all day long. One of the most important part of my job is to make sure if one things is done to make sure. I follow thru all the changes and make sure all other companies envolved with the plan knows about whats been changes. Even I know to make sure to follow the deal all the way thru!

It would really suck if the Magic went real far this year and everyone missed it becuase its not on TV!!! Great Job DEVOSS

So it would cost Bright House 35 cents a customer to add FSN... I will gladly pay 35 cents extra a month for this **** channel. Hell, I'm in a charitable mood this morning, I'll even pay the 35 cents for someone who doesn't care about basketball. Ya know, the people who Bright House cares soooo much about not having to give them unwanted programming.

The team seems to do WAY too many things based on the honor system. FSN says SURE, no problem getting a deal with Brighthouse and they believe them. Detroit's doctors say SURE, there will be no problem with Grants ankle and they believe them. Grant says SURE, I plan on staying or retiring here and they believe him.

There is something to be said for having faith in your fellow man but geez, how many times can you be bitten in the rear. My advice (for what it is worth) to the Magic is stop trusting everyone. If it isn't in writing, then it doesn't exist. Everyone in the world is out to get you, and will screw you over as much as humanly possible given the chance. If FSN was so sure about securing a deal, then they get to put it in writing and if they can't secure one, then the contract is void. If you want to sign a guy on crutches, then you should be able to use every piece of scientific machinary including the Hubble space telescope to check things out ahead of time. If a guy want's to stay, then work out a contract or some sort of written agreement or you trade him for what you can get. This verbal stuff has got to stop.

This is such bad business by the Magic its kind of laughable. You just struck a deal and figured that things would work themselves out because the Magic are in high demand. Talk about an elevated sense of purpose with the arena deal in place.

Brighthouse refuses to add the NFL network because of the same reason. They do not want to pass additional cost onto their customers who do not watch football. My point here is that I really do not see Brighthouse budging. They do not need the Magic to make their cable attractive to the common consumer.

FSN and more specifically the Magic need to step up and find a financial solution that makes sense to Brighthouse.

I am not saying this is fair by Brighthouse but it seems to be the way they operate and the Magic should have known this.

But to help Brighthouse I will match the same offer as WPMagic and offer to pick up the $.35 a month for a non-basketball fan.