Sign in to follow this  
mepot

Brighthouse/FSN Thread

Per Brian Schmitz's latest blog:

While every Magic fan with a Motorola is worried that they won't be able to watch their team play because of the Bright Hose-FSN controversy, I think the Magic organization will ride in to help broker an 11th-hour settlement.

(Wait, did I say Bright Hose? Fans may feel like they are getting hosed, but that was a typo. Really. It's Bright House. Now back to our regularly scheduled blog).

No, I believe the Magic will either deftly strong-arm or throw some incentives everybody's way to get it done in time.

A Magic official, in fact, basically assured me of this scenario.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/10/tv-blackout-id-.html

This is at least a breath of fresh air . . . nothing official yet, but who knows.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

I just read that Mayhem... I sure hope Schmitz is right!

Schmitz... right about something?

Couldn't be.... could it?

Let's hope so, there's a first for everything!

quote:
Originally posted by Mayhem:

Per Brian Schmitz's latest blog:

While every Magic fan with a Motorola is worried that they won't be able to watch their team play because of the Bright Hose-FSN controversy, I think the Magic organization will ride in to help broker an 11th-hour settlement.

(Wait, did I say Bright Hose? Fans may feel like they are getting hosed, but that was a typo. Really. It's Bright House. Now back to our regularly scheduled blog).

No, I believe the Magic will either deftly strong-arm or throw some incentives everybody's way to get it done in time.

A Magic official, in fact, basically assured me of this scenario.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2007/10/tv-blackout-id-.html

This is at least a breath of fresh air . . . nothing official yet, but who knows.

I don't feel anymore confident, this is the guy whose sources told him Brian would NOT be fired.

At least it is a piece of positivity regarding this whole ordeal.

I do agree, however, not much can be taken as the truth from Brian "I don't know jack" Schmitz.

I am clinging on to the thread of hope I still have left . . .

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

To thefuturegm:

Thanks for your post and for the inside view into the situation.

Makes sense for FSN to blink first, considering that only 25% of the potential market will be able to tune in. Why would advertisers pay anything but discount prices for that?

I am not shocked that this deal was made so that FSN could approach Brighthouse from a position of strength.

It really is hard to only be mad at Brighthouse.

I am not too upset about missing tomorrow night's game, considering I will be trick-or-treating with Spider-Man and Superman. And I will be attending Friday's game, so that isn't a big deal. But I would really like to be able to watch next week's games...or at least record them.

I am fine with missing a few games because i have waited all this time for the season to start. I just don't see FSN holding out the whole season. I think my friend is right that everyone is just playing hard ball and that FSN and the Magic are a little suprised that BRIGHTHOUSE is drawing a line in the sand with the sports tier option. I got an email back from the Magic on this issue telling me to call brighthouse and FSN/SUN sports and giving me the phone numbers.

This is one instance where Schmitz might be acting as a mouthpiece for the Sentinel, as opposed to strictly offering up his own opinion.

Povtak had already done a piece today wherein he states that the Magic are getting involved. So, I think the entire Sentinel Sports staff (columnists, editorial, et al) are keeping close tabs on the situation.

So, take this as a legit report of the current scuttlebutt.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

This is one instance where Schmitz might be acting as a mouthpiece for the Sentinel, as opposed to strictly offering up his own opinion.

Povtak had already done a piece today wherein he states that the Magic are getting involved. So, I think the entire Sentinel Sports staff (columnists, editorial, et al) are keeping close tabs on the situation.

So, take this as a legit report of the current scuttlebutt.

True, no reason for the team to sit back and not keep the media informed. This has nothing to do with Otis, SVG or the players. Alex Martins would be the man likely running the show on this.

Hard to get the community excited and sell tickets when they can't watch the games.

Man, I had previously given up ALL hope that anything would get done. I am actually getting really excited about the thought of MAYBE being able to see the other half of our games on TV!!!!!!!

You know what's going to happen, right? We'll get an exciting announcement that all the games will be on T.V., then they'll change their minds and instead give us a channel solely dedicated to Ron Jeremy.

ron-jeremy.jpg

Then, we'll slowly realize that this new channel is actually better for us.

Sound familiar?

According to John Denton, it's NOT happening anytime soon:

ORLANDO _ Fans of the Orlando Magic who have Bright House Networks as their television provider won