Sign in to follow this  
Adam_Magic

Free Agency Thread

Now that the trade deadline has passed, this thread is dedicated to the FA in the offseason.

Who do you want/hope we make a move for?

I will start with 2 FA related articles.

Now that the trade deadline has passed, this thread is dedicated to the FA in the offseason.

Who do you want/hope we make a move for?

I will start with 2 FA related articles.

It seems likely that Rashard Lewis will not accept the extension and will choose to opt out of his contract on July 1 and become an unrestricted free agent, according to Lewis

New York Daily News -

Vince Carter has been rumored to be heading anywhere from Orlando to Charlotte to even right across the river. But after scoring 26 points in a win over the Kings on Friday,

Carter revealed for the first time - at least publicly - what his true feelings may be. Though he has the ability to opt out of the final year of his contract once the season is over, Carter made it known that he'd like to stay with the Nets.

Speaking on the YES Network postgame show, Carter was told that team president Rod Thorn had earlier said, "We'd obviously like to sign him."

Carter responded by saying, "Hey, that sounds good to me. We're going to try to work it out. Hopefully I can be a Net for years to come."

Only a few days ago, it seemed the Nets were prepared to trade Carter. There has been much speculation that he'd like to play for Orlando, just over an hour away from his hometown of Daytona Beach. But the chances of that happening seem slim now that Magic general manager Otis Smith has bashed Carter's game, telling a Florida paper that he was reluctant to trade 21-year-old Darko Milicic for the 30-year-old Carter.

"I'm not going to take a step back and fall for what I call fool's gold," Smith said. "It shines and it glitters, but it just doesn't stick or pass the test."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44881/200702...nets_i_want_to_stay/

I wouldnt mind getting asmall forward like lewis,if we trade turkoglu for brendon haywood,and maybe signing a shooting guard that can shoot,if Hill is still the coach,because he hares redick. Most importantly we need a coach

i like Rashard Lewis but I think we're set at the SF spot I see Ariza starting next year and Turkoglu will come off the bench and i think he'll be a boost off the bench. Bogans & G-Hill can also play the 3 spot. So I'm not that sold on Rashard Lewis.

There's a few solid big man I think we can land but no good SG's or at least none I want So the only way to get a SG we want is by a trade. So maybe sign one of these good free agents and trade them or one of our players for a SG.

I think we should go for Chauncey Billups. He does not fill our need but he is definitively the best player in free agency. We could probably get away with playing Jameer at off guard with Billups playing the point. Plus, we would have our clutch shooter and scorer that can take over in the 4th quarters. However, the price is going to be steep, its going to be hard to get him from Detroit, specially if they get to the Finals. Lets hope they pull a Ben Wallace.

I'd love to land Billups. It would add more clutter but you make way of guys for someone like Billups.

Gortat is someone I look forward to coming over. Is he classified as a free agent with us holding his rights?

From the Tacoma New Tribune-

"I think the Sonics have a decent chance of bringing him back if he does indeed opt out of his contract -- which only makes sense, if you are him -- but Orlando is a serious concern. I was speaking with an NBA Insider recently who actually said he made this prediction a few weeks ago: The Orlando Magic are Rashard Lewis away from winning the East. With Grant Hill back at the 2 for less than $2 million, the Magic's lineup would be Jameer Nelson, Hill, Rashard, Dwight Howard and Tony Battie, with Carlos Arroyo, JJ Redick and Darko Milicic coming off the bench. That's not a bad lineup, and the starting front line is extremely big. Rashard wouldnt have to worry about rebounding with Howard in there. That guy is huge. You would like to think the Sonics could do a sign-and-trade if they are going to lose him, but with Orlando there is not much on their roster you'd want or that they would want to give up. With the status of Bob Hill and Rick Sund up in the air -- though I think the former is probably a foregone conclusion, emphasis on gone -- adding Rashard's situation will make it an interesting summer, and that does not even take the arena stuff into account."

That's being generous! I wonder if we are targeting Rashard?