Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

You guys gotta listen to this podcast by Chad Ford & David Thorpe(ESPN) Awesome!!!!!!

Beautiful, great find! Jameer Nelson for MIP! He definitely makes a lot of strong points. Jameer and Dwight have really bright futures infront of them, especially under SVG. Can't wait till Halloween...let's get this party started dammit haha.

I agree 100% with those two. Jameer will have all of his doubters eating crow. He was on the verge of a breakout season coming into '06-07, but B. Hill ruined that. Just wait... Jameer is a stud, and he'll be our 3rd best player this season... our Tony Parker.

*Picking myself up off the floor*

Holy crap, that is way more love from the national media than I am used to. It does say something when Thorpe picks Jameer as his number one choice to have a break out year. I'll say one thing: Jameer won't have any excuses if he doesn't have a good season. Everything he needs to be a productive point guard is on this roster. Lets see if he can put it all together.

D-Bo, you and I have probably had the highest expectations and faith in Jameer. You and I were very strong in our opinons that Brian Hill destroyed Jameer and everyone else.

I think Jameer is much more talented than people realize - SVG is seeing it now and Otis has been a firm believer. People don't realize how much BHill squashed him.

Junkie - great find on this - good comments about Orlando - they see that Orlando could make some noise and Dwight could move to the next level - I see that as well.

This team is so much more talented than people realize and everyone was complaining about our players - we have many players we just had a horrible, horrible coach.

The only thing they didn't mention was a breakout season for Ariza - that will happen as well - he and Jameer could be the top two players for most improved player. And, JJ will have a breakout season - those three in particular were killed by Brian Hill.

I liked that he commented about how Jameer has been held back and for the first time SVG may turn the team over to him. BHill did not turn the team over to Jameer and he wouldn't let Jameer play his style of game and he had a terrible stagnant offense - it is already different in just 2 preseason games under SVG.

Interesting that David Thorpe had Jameer at number 1 for a breakout season. He has been reading Knappy's posts and has caught on.

Anyway, I have said this a few times - Jameer has not had a chance to take over this team and I agree that this year he will be allowed to take over the team and be the leader of the team. Yes, Dwight will be important and Rashard, but Jameer will be the leader of this team.

What I had said before was this, Jameer played behind and had to defer to Steve Francis - he played well, but he couldn't take over the team with Francis.

Then he played with Grant Hill coming back and he had to defer to Grant Hill and couldn't take over this team.

The last 22 games of 05 - 06 Jameer was able to take over this team with Grant Hill benched for the remainder of the year and the team thrived -they were allowed to run, Ariza got a lot of minutes, JJ got minutes, Darko got minutes and Dwight was loving it. Jameer averaged just over 22 pts. a game for the 22 game stretch and shot 53% from the floor - that is impressive and the team chemistry was never better than at that time. It carried over into 06, but was soon gone as BHill forced his will on this team and destroyed it.

Part of why I was so vocal and so mad was because for the first time in a long time - Orlando had players that could get this team to the NBA Finals and under BHill - I fully expected players to walk. If BHill were fired midway through the season last year we would probably still have Darko and Rashard. I really like our talent and I liked it last year - the problem was not the players as many on the boards were screaming at our players - the problem was BHill.

So, now Jameer is being given the green light to lead this team. He doesn't need to score as much with the new offense, Dwight is being given a chance to play in an effective offensive scheme this year - almost every time he has been fed the ball inside, in the first two pre-season games, he was moving and was not posting up in the same spot. Last year BHill had him post up in the same spot with no movement where they painted shoe prints for him to stand and setup - everytime down the court.

This year, plays have setup for JJ, for Lewis, for Hedo - so Jameer will do his share of scoring, but he doesn't need to drop in 22 a night.

I am excited that SVG gets it and that Otis gets it where Jameer is concerned. I hope they get it in regard to Ariza as well - get that kid on the floor a lot - 30 plus minutes a game.

Jameer no longer has to defer to another player and SVG will let him lead - if Jameer takes the game winner - SVG will give him the green light to make the choice to shoot or dish. Jameer will get others involved and no one wants to steal leadership away from Jameer and no one should. Dwight is the most dominant force on the team and can have a big impact on everyone, but the real glue and the team leader should be Jameer if we are going to make a serious run.

There is not a player Jameer needs to defer to and he is our best option at the end of a close game and he'll have options now with SVG letting scorers play and with the pickup of Lewis. Dwight isn't the focal point at the end of a game that is close - he can try and rebound and go for a put back. But Jameer can take the shot or dish to JJ or Lewis or even Howard if he can get an alleyoop pass or something - you just don't want the game to come down to Howard on the line.

Anyway, thanks for finding this junkie - I agree with Thorpe on his analysis - surprised he didn't mention Ariza as a potential stud with a breakout year and JJ could have one also - at least compared to last year it will be.

Nice to see GHill gone so that no one defers to Grant anymore and he doesn't take minutes away from our up and coming star players.

I can't say enough about how much talent I think we have. I believe in the talent of Jameer and Ariza and JJ will really help and Dwight will be a lot better and if Lewis is healthy he'll be good and Turk plays so much better when Jameer gets to run the team.

The answer - the movement of BHill - and they were debating it - maybe Howard said it is either him or me. Thank God, BHill is gone. Oh, by the way did I mention that BHill is a great guy off the court?

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

I agree 100% with those two. Jameer will have all of his doubters eating crow. He was on the verge of a breakout season coming into '06-07, but B. Hill ruined that. Just wait... Jameer is a stud, and he'll be our 3rd best player this season... our Tony Parker.

He may be more valuable to us than Lewis. Dwight is just a beast in the making so he is our key guy, but Jameer is so important just like he said his comments - he is the key. He is the key if we want to be playing for the eastern conference finals or making it to the NBA finals - we have a shot now that Jameer can take over.

Many of you don't believe in Jameer and think him taking over will be a disaster - the guy can play. Co-collegiate player of the year in college - held back his whole career finally freed up to lead this team with all kinds of weapons around him.

Good points Knappy!

As a suggestion, learn to be brief and to state your point of view quick and lean. I'm not the moderator, but your posts are taking way too much space and to be honest, must people after the third paragraph, stop reading. Is too much verbage to keep it interesting. However, keep posting, you have pretty good insight on this subject. Epecially about Jameer.

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

He may be more valuable to us than Lewis. Dwight is just a beast in the making so he is our key guy, but Jameer is so important just like he said his comments - he is the key. He is the key if we want to be playing for the eastern conference finals or making it to the NBA finals - we have a shot now that Jameer can take over.

Many of you don't believe in Jameer and think him taking over will be a disaster - the guy can play. Co-collegiate player of the year in college - held back his whole career finally freed up to lead this team with all kinds of weapons around him.

You're right. Currently, we have two All-Star caliber players on our team: Dwight and Rashard. If you look at it, all we really need is one more really good player (and solid role players) and we're contending for the championship. I'm pretty confident Jameer will reach that level this season, and we'll be contenders in the East at least. Give Ariza and Redick another year, and we've got ourselves a championship contender. I read somewhere (it might've been from one of you guys) a little comparison that I liked... the Magic are basically an unglorified San Antonio Spurs team... this is especially true if Jameer starts to approach that "star" level that we all expected him to approach last season.

No, Knappy, I can't say Jameer is more important than Rashard. He's good... but he's not that good. Let's not get ahead of ourselves... Rashard is easily a top-10 pure scorer in the NBA.

EDIT: I think I got a little carried away with my use of italics at the end of my post lol.