Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Revisiting our Summer cap situation

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Emory, I have a question: When did Steve Blake become the answer to all our problems?

Also, what'll we do with the rest of our cap space, since Blake won't cost more than 2.5-3mil?

Did I say he was? I posted this before I saw that Dooling was not opting out so I'm not sure if we should stay pat at the position or still make changes. Steve Blake is a solid pg that makes good decisions and moves the basketball. If the Magic are serious about changing the position he is a good choice. I didn't say he was going to singlehandly lead us into the playoffs. The fact that he might come cheap is an added bonus.

I also said that we should try and sign Pietrus. He is a restricted free agent so it will take more money to sign him. I still like the teams chances because the Warriors are cap strapped and still have major decisions to make with Baron Davis and Jason Richardson.

Relax, I was just ribbing you a little. I find it amazing that I hadn't seen a single mention of Blake before 2 days ago, and now it seems like I'm hearing bout a guy who can get 8 assists a game with one hand while healing my grandmother's blindness with the other.

Blakes a good player, no doubt. But it seems like everyone's a little too excited about the guy.

And I like Pietrus, but I'm not sure we could get him.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

bhnole,

The money that Carter is looking for should be reduced by the NJ state taxes. When N.J. moves to Brooklyn in two years they will be going after the services of Lebron James. Orlando will be able to commit to a longer time.

Keep in mind that we don't have to trade matching dollars. We could trade a couple of players with our #2 draft picks (we have 3), Diener, another player and $$.

We have options to bring in a big name, but likely will now need help to do it. Where before it looked like we had enough room to re-sign Darko and make a big offer at an elite FA.

The question is how willing will other teams be to help us and what will be the price?

If NJ does not make the playoffs, they will be very helpful. The playoffs are important to NJ just as much as Orlando.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Emory, I have a question: When did Steve Blake become the answer to all our problems?

Also, what'll we do with the rest of our cap space, since Blake won't cost more than 2.5-3mil?

Did I say he was? I posted this before I saw that Dooling was not opting out so I'm not sure if we should stay pat at the position or still make changes. Steve Blake is a solid pg that makes good decisions and moves the basketball. If the Magic are serious about changing the position he is a good choice. I didn't say he was going to singlehandly lead us into the playoffs. The fact that he might come cheap is an added bonus.

I also said that we should try and sign Pietrus. He is a restricted free agent so it will take more money to sign him. I still like the teams chances because the Warriors are cap strapped and still have major decisions to make with Baron Davis and Jason Richardson.

Relax, I was just ribbing you a little. I find it amazing that I hadn't seen a single mention of Blake before 2 days ago, and now it seems like I'm hearing bout a guy who can get 8 assists a game with one hand while healing my grandmother's blindness with the other.

Blakes a good player, no doubt. But it seems like everyone's a little too excited about the guy.

Okay, so why are you so down on Blake then? He is a good player, like you said. Nobody thinks he can get 8 assists a game with a hand tied behind his back. He's a good free agent option for $3-5m and that allows us to resign Darko. He resolves this whole issue with our point guards. It's a win-win situation, but it isn't some huge signing that's going to change the world. He's a player that can fit into both our current and future plans without changing the direction of our team.

quote:

It sounds like we don't have the resources to go after a big name so I say its time for plan B. We resign Darko and then go after some second tier free agents. I have really grown to love the idea of Steve Blake in a Magic uniform and I don't think the Nuggets can resign him so he is the guy I want the most. Pietrus is a restricted free agent but I think the Magic could still make a bid for him since the Warriors have cap limitations and still have to resign Jason Richardson. Finally, we have to clear out the clutter at the guard positions. Somehow Arroyo, Dooling, Bogans, and Turkoglu need to be traded. Honestly I don't care how much we get back for them. I see it as addition by subtraction. If we could get a decent backup big and maybe a hustle guy like Eduardo Najera (just an example) then that would be fine by me. We still have Gortat coming in this summer as well.

I know we all think that we need a perimeter scorer but the way JJ has been playing lately with limited minutes I wonder if he can be the guy. He doesn't break down an opponent like Carter would but he can put up some serious numbers in a hurry. If we could get Jeff Hornacek numbers out of him (17 pts a game) with the continued improvement of the rest of the team that might be good enough.

Emory, do you feel it's necessary to get rid of Dooling and Hedo for the good of the team? Or do you feel there are certain players out there we can trade for by using Dooling and Hedo as trade-bait?

quote:

quote:

quote:

bhnole,

I believe Diener will not be released.

Diener is tough call, but considering the team has said little about his future here lately and seem a little fed up with undersized PG's. I doubt they do much to match any offer he gets this summer.

QUOTE BELOW FROM OTIS SMITH:

At least one team offered the Magic a second-round pick for reserve PG Travis Diener, who has been getting the most interest before Thursday's trade deadline. The Magic aren't expected to make a deal for Diener or any of their players. General Manager Otis Smith said the teams interested in Diener want him as a third point guard. "I don't want him to be a third point guard somewhere else. He can be that here," Smith said.

True, he wanted a first rounder. We already have three second rounders this year, no need to pick up another. But now that Dooling is our primary back-up PG, Diener is now fourth string.

Unless Carlos gets moved, I don't see them matching any offers he will likely get. A lot could change between now and then, but I as of today I would project him not being brought back.

quote:

lol, The only reason that I jumped on the Blake bandwagon is he is the only realistic free agent pg that can help us. There is simply no way that we can get Billups and it would take alot to get Bibby or to trade for Miller. You did have me going there for a second. I thought you were serious. lol

quote:
Emory, do you feel it's necessary to get rid of Dooling and Hedo for the good of the team? Or do you feel there are certain players out there we can trade for by using Dooling and Hedo as trade-bait?

I feel its necessary to alleviate the logjams we have at a couple of positions. Its nothing against Hedo or Dooling because I think they are both good players. I am pretty sure that Otis is going out to sign a wing scorer this summer whether its Carter, Pietrus, Gerald Wallace etc. I also think that if Grant Hill feels good he will resign as well. So depending on what position Dooling and Grant Hill play next year we potentially have 3 shooting guards (free agent, JJ, and Bogans) 3 small forwards (Hedo, Ariza, and Grant) and even without signing another pg that position is a complete mess with 4 pgs on the roster now (Jameer, Arroyo, Dooling, and Diener). Meanwhile our frontcourt is desperately thin with only 3 real big men.

I don't claim to know how its going to work out. I really suck when it comes to salary numbers and how they work. Just looking at the list I would say that Arroyo, Diener, and Bogans are gone for sure. That leaves Hedo and Dooling on the trading block. I think both of them have good trade value (especially Hedo) maybe we could use them to acquire a decent backup big and a later first round draft pick. I don't know, like I said I'm not good with the numbers. We need frontcourt help and it only makes sense to get rid of some of the duplicating talent that we have on the roster. I will say that if we trade Hedo then Otis should try to find another shooter like Jason Kapono except at a cheaper price.

Hmmm...I'd try to hang on to Travis, if at all possible: he's the only true PG on the team. And I'd take Lewis over Carter, at this point in their careers.

Definitely try to get Garrity out, although his contract is filled with barbs on that point. Bogans and Arroyo can go. I'd rather not part with Battie (leadership) or Ariza.

I haven't seen enough of Augustine to see if he's worth keeping, but that might be reason enough right there (or not, seeing how Matt Harpring turned out with the Jazz).

I think Denver will re-sign Blake, they have won four straight since putting him back in as a starter. He is a good fit playing big minutes with AI and Melo, since he does not need to take many shots like JR Smith does.

I also think Otis will end up giving the Jameer/Dooling combo another year to evaluate, unless Billups suddenly decides he wants to leave Detroit (doubtful).

Rashard Lewis and Vince Carter isn't a straight comparison. Lewis plays the small/big forward while Vince plays shooting guard. We need a strong SG while we have small forward covered, unless of course we trade Hedo.

If Vince really wants to come to Orlando then that all remains to be seen.. really, Vince holds all the cards.

Meanwhile, even with Dooling not opting out, resigning Darko and picking up Gerald Wallace is entirely possible.. I don't think Wallace has risen his stock that much that quickly to get too big a payday in free agency.

Between Pietrus or Blake and Wallace, there's just no comparison. Wallace is a true 2nd tier FA, while Pietrus and Blake are definitely 3rd.

I don't think Gerald Wallace is a good fit for our team at all.

I'm being completely serious, he's a slightly shorter version of Trevor Ariza. That's some serious talent duplication right there.

As for the thought of losing Hedo or Dooling, emory889, I agree that they are both good, tradeable assets. If we can ship one or both out to bring in another big body to go with Marcin Gortat next season (Go Gortat! Woooooo!) then I'd be for it. I don't like it, but you have to trade good assets for other good assets... and Hedo and Dooling both fit that bill.

Also, salary wise, Hedo and Dooling both have good contracts for trading. Hedo is at about $6 mil/yr and Dooling is at about $3 mil/yr. This would allow us to get good players back, since good players tend to get paid, while the other team in the trade would see that Hedo and Dooling both have reasonable contracts for their respective talents.

This is in contrast to Jameer Nelson, who is worthless in a trade b/c he makes so little on his rookie contract.

quote:

I think Denver will re-sign Blake, they have won four straight since putting him back in as a starter. He is a good fit playing big minutes with AI and Melo, since he does not need to take many shots like JR Smith does.

I also think Otis will end up giving the Jameer/Dooling combo another year to evaluate, unless Billups suddenly decides he wants to leave Detroit (doubtful).

JR Smith has ben injured, that's why Blake is starting over in Denver. When JR Smith is healthy again, Blake will be back to the bench I believe.

Also, Blake is making peanuts right now. If Denver wants to sign him to a market-value contract of around $3-5 mil/yr, they'll be paying luxury tax (I think???).