Sign in to follow this  
Big

Hire Billy Donovan, Please!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by asia#1:

its disgusting to see fans who turn their back on the coach who led this team to the nba finals a few years back. why don't you all just retire as magic fans and go watch the knicks like penny did. in case you idiots don't know, its the coach's job to make the plays. he can't be out there for dwight or jameer in crunch time and scoring all the points for them. it's the players job to coach and the players job to play.

Well, we "idiots" clearly dont know much.

I was always under the impression that calling plays was only one very small portion of a coaches job. I thought he also has to make substitutions, form game plans, exploit mismatches on offense, prevent and adjust to mismatches on defense, develop his younger talent, find ways to utilize his team's talents the most effectively, and make adjustments to team strategems when necessary.

And I can't speak for everyone on the board, but THIS idiot thought that you were supposed to capitalize the first word of every sentence.

GREAT RESPONSE!!!

asia#1 is nothing more than a Windermere Soccer Mom!!!

I could've rode Shaq and Penny to the Finals.

quote:

quote:

its disgusting to see fans who turn their back on the coach who led this team to the nba finals a few years back. why don't you all just retire as magic fans and go watch the knicks like penny did. in case you idiots don't know, its the coach's job to make the plays. he can't be out there for dwight or jameer in crunch time and scoring all the points for them. it's the players job to coach and the players job to play.

I was always under the impression that calling plays was only one very small portion of a coaches job. I thought he also has to make substitutions, form game plans, exploit mismatches on offense, prevent and adjust to mismatches on defense, develop his younger talent, find ways to utilize his team's talents the most effectively, and make adjustments to team strategems when necessary.

And I can't speak for everyone on the board, but THIS idiot thought that you were supposed to capitalize the first word of every sentence.

Asia#1,

By,"it's the players job to coach and the players job to play"

Don't you mean

It's the coaches job to coach and the players job to play.

Just one question

When is Brian Hill going to start acting like a Head Coach and not some Assistant?

I appreciate asia trying to defend BHill, but to be honest BHill is a horrible coach. He makes absolutley no adjustments. To prove my point; today's lineup will be Jameer, GHill, Darko, Hedo and Dwight. First off the bench will be Dooling followed by Arroyo. Bo will be in next. We may then see Bogans. What I am getting at is that he is so predictable and never ever changes. Why not put in Travis and JJ when no one can make an outside shot and yet evryone knows it? Bah we could gop on all day.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

Billy D. is Rick Petino revisited. Same style of coach, same style of play. If Billy were smart, he'd stay in college forever.

1 million percent agree. Billy is a Petino understudy for cryin out loud. I love what he is doing with the Gators but I don't believe any college coach should go to the NBA.

I think you guys are getting carried away with the Pattino bashing lol. Most of the coaches in the NBA today recieved their knowledge from college coaching. Dean Smith, Hank Iba,Bobby Knight, etc. were big influences on their proteges but that didn't necesarily mean they were total clones. I do think success breeds success though, learning from a winner is never a bad thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Big:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

Billy D. is Rick Petino revisited. Same style of coach, same style of play. If Billy were smart, he'd stay in college forever.

1 million percent agree. Billy is a Petino understudy for cryin out loud. I love what he is doing with the Gators but I don't believe any college coach should go to the NBA.

I think you guys are getting carried away with the Pattino bashing lol. Most of the coaches in the NBA today recieved their knowledge from college coaching. Dean Smith, Hank Iba,Bobby Knight, etc. were big influences on their proteges but that didn't necesarily mean they were total clones. I do think success breeds success though, learning from a winner is never a bad thing.

Learning from a winner isn't a bad thing and Petino much like the rest of the names you mentioned are all excellent college coaches. We see it time and again, excellent college coaches in both the NBA and the NFL try their systems in the pro's and fail terribly.

I think there is just too big of a difference between how you motivate college and pro players as well as the systems they use.

quote:

quote:

We could re-institute an old practice here on the board of using the word "idiot" as a term of endearment. We had to start this after everyone that made sense was being called an idiot. It only seemed natural, who is with me here? Idiots unite!

quote:

It's the style of play and coaching philosophy which make Donovan and Petino horrible NBA candidates. It's no different than Spurrier taking his fun n' gun to the NFL.

Donovan and Petino have had success because they can recruit first and foremost. Neither is a brilliant basketball mind. Their philosophy is to use that superior talent and depth to run opponents into the ground. Doc Rivers could teach these two a great deal about half court offense and that's a very scary proposition. This style does not translate to the NBA for a variety of reasons which would require a mini-novel to explain and I already have a penchant to ramble so I won't.

I'm not necessarily of the mind a college coach can't succeed in the NBA. Although, even the very best have taken time to adapt (Larry Brown). I personally believe coach K would succeed anywhere in the game of basketball. The reality is that the vast majority of successful professional coaches earned their coaching stripes in the NBA however.

quote:
We could re-institute an old practice here on the board of using the word "idiot" as a term of endearment. We had to start this after everyone that made sense was being called an idiot. It only seemed natural, who is with me here? Idiots unite!

We will be like the World Champion Boston Red Sox!

quote:

Marc, I don't have the seniority to grant myself the venerable title of idiot. If it's deemed by the more senior members of the board that your suggested plan be followed, I'd accept it.