Sign in to follow this  
bhnole

Povtak on PG situation

quote:
Originally posted by chosen12:

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

I get ya, I've just got myself all worked up right now. I'm burning up w/ Jameer, I can't even stand watching him on the court anymore.

I wish I could go to a Magic game with a couple revolvers, all Yosemite Sam style, and start shooting at Jameer's feet to get his butt in gear. It drives me NUTS watching him gait up the court and hold the ball above the 3pt line, "examining" the court with his amazing court vision (laugh) while the other players are holding their hands out, practically BEGGING Jameer to pass the ball. ARGH!

Ouch, I seen him hold the ball three times yesterday, when JJ was wide open?????? I am with you here. I will take this a step further, now that we are playing opne and are running more, Carlos was at his best when we ran, but he killed us in the slow down princeton (PRISON) offense, move him either to backup Dooling, if it means a win? A win is a win!!!

LOL prison offense. I think I'm with you on this... I'd like to see Arroyo again before the end of the season if we're going to keep focusing on running the ball on offense. He's been an effective distributor on the break this season, his "salsa" passes are always on target when it's 3-on-3 in the open court!

If you want to "send a message" to a player who isn't performing well, nothing does it like cutting their playing time. I find it all the more remarkable that Diener hasn't had more a chance this season when Jameer has been terrible.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Here is a list of the unrestricted pgs this offseason.

Steve Blake

Chauncey Billups

Smush Parker

Chucky Atkins

Earl Boykins

Mike Bibby (if he opts out)

There are a couple of others but those are the decent ones. That is a pretty limited list unless we make a trade. The only one on there that would be a solid contributor and might be reasonably obtainable is Steve Blake.

Of course a trade is always a possibility.

Didn't Memphis want to keep Chucky, If not his style and defense would work well, he is also decent from 3pt range!

quote:

quote:

quote:

I get ya, I've just got myself all worked up right now. I'm burning up w/ Jameer, I can't even stand watching him on the court anymore.

I wish I could go to a Magic game with a couple revolvers, all Yosemite Sam style, and start shooting at Jameer's feet to get his butt in gear. It drives me NUTS watching him gait up the court and hold the ball above the 3pt line, "examining" the court with his amazing court vision (laugh) while the other players are holding their hands out, practically BEGGING Jameer to pass the ball. ARGH!

Ouch, I seen him hold the ball three times yesterday, when JJ was wide open?????? I am with you here. I will take this a step further, now that we are playing opne and are running more, Carlos was at his best when we ran, but he killed us in the slow down princeton (PRISON) offense, move him either to backup Dooling, if it means a win? A win is a win!!!

LOL prison offense. I think I'm with you on this... I'd like to see Arroyo again before the end of the season if we're going to keep focusing on running the ball on offense. He's been an effective distributor on the break this season, his "salsa" passes are always on target when it's 3-on-3 in the open court!

He needs to be in an open, running system to be effective. This PRISON offense of BHills would have kept Michael Jordon out of the Hall of Fame!!

Honestly, I don't know. Atkins is a solid player and I wouldn't mind having him back but IMO he is a backup pg at best. I think Blake has shown that he's capable of being a first string pg in Denver this season. No one will question his decision making that's for sure.

quote:

Didn't Memphis want to keep Chucky, If not his style and defense would work well, he is also decent from 3pt range!

I like Chucky, but he is no bigger than Jameer and getting up there in age (33 next year).

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

quote:

I like Chucky, but he is no bigger than Jameer and getting up there in age (33 next year).

As I thought about it, I was being sentimental (spelling?) about him and VC for the championship push. LOL I think if we are not bringing Jameer back, we need to give Dooling the job, save money and sign, Darko and VC. Of course we would have to say goodbye to Bo, Carlos, and buy out Garrity's final year! For a start!!!

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Here is a list of the unrestricted pgs this offseason.

Steve Blake

Chauncey Billups

Smush Parker

Chucky Atkins

Earl Boykins

Mike Bibby (if he opts out)

There are a couple of others but those are the decent ones. That is a pretty limited list unless we make a trade. The only one on there that would be a solid contributor and might be reasonably obtainable is Steve Blake.

Of course a trade is always a possibility.

Awesome, I've been wanting to see what's out there.

I agree, Steve Blake would be a heckuva catch. At first glance you'd think he might not stay in Denver to sit behind AI, but Denver has been playing him 30+ minutes all season no matter what. He seems to be in a good situation there...

Also, Chosen12 is on to something, Chucky Atkins would be a good pickup if Dooling opts out to leave our team. He's a pretty tough player.

How about a trade for Jose Calderon? As a back-up, he averages 5+ a/gm and only 1.5 to/gm. Plus, he is 6'3'' and only 25 years old. A no-brainer, imho, if we can do it for a reasonable cost.

If not, then perhaps we make a run at Billups. My only issue with him is his age and the amount of money it will take to sign him.

The others on that list do little to warm my bones.

One last guy to consider: Andre Miller. Philly surely would want Jameer, and we surely could use a guy who knows how to pass. Perhaps we could trade Jameer and Hedo for Andre and one of their later first round picks.

Blake is an interesting one, I think Denver will want to keep him. But they will be paying the luxury tax next year, which might make them hesistant to match any contract. He fits in well there because they don't need him to score much with AI and Melo around.

Problem is we still need a premium wing scorer if we sign a guy like this.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Tim Povtak was on 740 the team this morning for Keep N Score and was very adamant that this team will be shopping for a new starting PG this summer.

He said Carlos is done with this team and that the only reason he was not demoted earlier was because of his fanbase. Says he will likely be traded this summer.

Also said that Jameer will likely not get an extension this summer. They will let him become a restricted free agent next year instead and let him leave if he does not shape up.

Sounds like the team is using the media to send a message to Jameer.

If I not mistaken bhnole, Otis had a long talk with him prior to this announcement. I think it was on the flight back from the last away game. But I agree, they shouldn't make those statements until after the fat lady sings, not when we a chasing N.J and NYK's for the playoffs.

Yea, well Jameer shouldn't have been having his agent talk up contract extensions in the middle of February when he was playing the absolute worst basketball of his career and while his team was free-falling out of the playoffs.

Jameer = Douchebag.

Jameer is not a db and that is taking it to far. It is up to every sports agent to maximize their dollars for their client. What do you want him to say. The agent is not going to say yea Jameer has sucked this year so do not worry about a contract I will not even bother you. Its not like he came out and said he could not feed his family ala Sprewell. As for the new starting point guard that is great news but beyond Billups who is out there??

What do I want him to say? How about NOTHING.

It's totally inappropriate to be haggling contracts when the team he's supposed to be leading is in a full-on free-fall. Am I wrong?

No I do not believe you are wrong in what you are saying I was just stating that alot of times the agents are the ones who start up these negotiations. Then they let it leak to the media hoping that fans will back Nelson thus making it harder for the Magic not to extend him. The Magic converesely could have let it slip to make him and his agent look bad and light a fire underneath him. I am in no way absolving Jameer of his putrid play.

Think about it. At college he was doubted and everyone said he was to small and St. Joes was not good enough. Well he leads them to an undefeated season. He thinks he is going to be a top ten pick and slips until pick 20. He thinks he deserves to play starting point guard and comes off the bench when he is clearly outplaying his counterpart. This year for the first time he was handed something of signifigance without any doubts. I seriously think some players need that edge, that extra something that drives them and this may be it for Jameer. Extending him at this point would only be as a friend of Dwights. That is no reason to pay someone and I do not think Dwight will walk away from max dollars because his buddy does not get a contract. If Jameer wants an extension he can earn it with his play on the court.

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

No I do not believe you are wrong in what you are saying I was just stating that alot of times the agents are the ones who start up these negotiations. Then they let it leak to the media hoping that fans will back Nelson thus making it harder for the Magic not to extend him. The Magic converesely could have let it slip to make him and his agent look bad and light a fire underneath him. I am in no way absolving Jameer of his putrid play.

Think about it. At college he was doubted and everyone said he was to small and St. Joes was not good enough. Well he leads them to an undefeated season. He thinks he is going to be a top ten pick and slips until pick 20. He thinks he deserves to play starting point guard and comes off the bench when he is clearly outplaying his counterpart. This year for the first time he was handed something of signifigance without any doubts. I seriously think some players need that edge, that extra something that drives them and this may be it for Jameer. Extending him at this point would only be as a friend of Dwights. That is no reason to pay someone and I do not think Dwight will walk away from max dollars because his buddy does not get a contract. If Jameer wants an extension he can earn it with his play on the court.

It's true what you say about his agent. His agent doesn't get paid until Jameer gets paid. This might have been another case of the agent leading the player to do something stupid, ala DeShawn Stevenson.

I didn't give that full consideration.

Who is Jameer's agent, anyway? For some reason I remember it being a big-name agent that represents some top-notch talent. Whoever he is, it seems like he might be feeding Jameer dis-information.

I'm not so sure Jameer falls into the "needs motivation to be good" category anymore. I think Jameer is too prideful to take up that attitude again until the floor REALLY falls out from under him (read: he needs to be HUMBLED).