LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

If I remember right, most people wanted either McLemore and Smart this time last year (myself included.) After poor tournament outings by several prospects, Burke and Noel became pretty popular, and it wasn't really till the last month or so before the draft that Oladipo was being projected in the top 3-4. So... obviously a lot can change in no time.

I like, in order: Wiggins, Parker, Embiid, Smart, and Exum. Many will disagree, but to me Parker, Embiid, and Smart are very close and Smart edges Exum solely on sample size.

I think I'd take Exum over Smart for size/athleticism/potential. But they're on the same tier. I'd rather Wiggins or Imbiid first, then Parker. Wiggins had his coming out party the last two games with Imbiid gone. Aaron Gordon could be very good, too.

Like I said earlier, I haven't watched much college ball except for highlights, so mine is an uninformed opinion.

Also, can someone answer my question about Kentucky?

Also, can someone answer my question about Kentucky?

I haven't watched them much as the season's progressed. I think they're very talented, just fairly young.

Randle and Cauley-Stein are probably the only two seriously coming out. I'd be a little surprised if the Harrison's declared, but James Young might be worth taking a chance on later in the 1st. I'm not wild about Randle, though he obviously has some game. WCS is kind of a risk/reward John Henson type imo. Young has a ton of athleticism and some scoring ability, but he seems pretty raw.

To clarify, I'm not an expert on UK. These have just been my observations.

Does anyone know anything about PF Clint Capela? I keep seeing him being picked in the top 15 in most mocks

Swiss born, plays for Chalon in France I believe, 6'10, long, athletic shot blocker in a similar mold to Nerlens Noel (in that he's very thin), fairly raw really, a project, but earlier this year he had a monster game that was something like a near triple double and 4 blocks as well. He has Serge Ibaka potential. Some questions about his maturity but no major red flags I don't think. I'm on my phone so I can't post it but I believe draftexpress has a scouting vid up on him.

Swiss born, plays for Chalon in France I believe, 6'10, long, athletic shot blocker in a similar mold to Nerlens Noel (in that he's very thin), fairly raw really, a project, but earlier this year he had a monster game that was something like a near triple double and 4 blocks as well. He has Serge Ibaka potential. Some questions about his maturity but no major red flags I don't think. I'm on my phone so I can't post it but I believe draftexpress has a scouting vid up on him.

Interesting, thanks boss

Confirmed - Embiid had stress fracture in back.

He will not be an option for the draft, hope he gets well.

Impact player pool in this draft just shrank.....really need to get in the top 3 for Wiggins, Parker or Exum.

I like Randle but don't think he is on the level of those 3.

Impact player pool in this draft just shrank.....really need to get in the top 3 for Wiggins, Parker or Exum.

I like Randle but don't think he is on the level of those 3.

What about Smart? We could get him at 5 I think if we happen to fall that far. I think Boston or LA are going to get the 1st pick. Just my opinion

What about Smart? We could get him at 5 I think if we happen to fall that far. I think Boston or LA are going to get the 1st pick. Just my opinion

Of course we could get smart at 5. We could also get him at 9 or 10.

What about smart makes you think he's a top 5 player other than the fact we were linked to him last year?

What about smart makes you think he's a top 5 player other than the fact we were linked to him last year?

Dudes a beast IMO! He has great size, plays great D, good decision maker. He has everything you want in a PG except his shooting is suspect at times. I doubt he'd be there at 9 or 10 because he's going top 6.

Him and Oladipo in the backcourt is just gross (in a good way). Like I said, it's all my opinion but he's NBA ready

The fact that he's a tank of a PG who does practically everything well except shooting (pushing the ball, rebounding, defending, getting to the rim/foul line, hustle) makes him top 5 to me. Forget the character questions. I still think he's the ultimate competitor and a leader. He's bound to improve his handle and shooting at least some. I can see Randle, Gordon, or some other players having more intriguing box scores occasionally, but I don't see them having as much impact on winning as Smart.

He's not my first choice in the top 3-4, but there aren't many players I see being better.

Smart is a top 6 or 7 player. He won't be on the board at 9.

Bit of an over reaction over the Embiid thing. Guy may be back by sweet 16 time and he's not the first player to have an injury. One injury doesn't make a pattern, In my opinion the Noel injury was a lot worse and he still went #6. Is it worrying? Yes. Is it indicative of the rest of his career? No. Will he still be a top 3 pick? probably. He'll probably stay in college though if he takes a stock hit.