LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I'm certainly intrigued by the guy, based mainly off the Nike HS performance. The FIBA U19's didn't do much for me that I saw competition-wise; Creighton has a better team than any of those that participated. I'm not downplaying the intrigue but one big time game brings up ?'s for me. The Nike game was fantastic though-Parker, Randle, Wiggins, and Exum all played great. Forgot that Embiid and Vonleh were even in that game as well, has their stock risen or what?

So...Doug McDermott: Morrison, Kucher Korver, or Bird? Any other racially insensitive comparisons? He seems like he is going to be a legit scorer.

You left out Wally Syverbiak or however you spell it.

I'm certainly intrigued by the guy, based mainly off the Nike HS performance. The FIBA U19's didn't do much for me that I saw competition-wise; Creighton has a better team than any of those that participated. I'm not downplaying the intrigue but one big time game brings up ?'s for me. The Nike game was fantastic though-Parker, Randle, Wiggins, and Exum all played great. Forgot that Embiid and Vonleh were even in that game as well, has their stock risen or what?

So...Doug McDermott: Morrison, Kucher Korver, or Bird? Any other racially insensitive comparisons? He seems like he is going to be a legit scorer.

Just because you don't know the players doesn't make this true. Creighton has, 1 guy who'll get drafted on their squad. The Spanish U19 team that Exum dropped 30 on has at least two or three guys who will get draft looks in the coming few years. And the China team he played (20 points 3 assists and only 1 turnover) had a legit 7'1 center that will definitely be attracting NBA attention when he's old enough, he averaged 9 boards and 5 blocks in 23 minutes over the course of the tournament (and he was almost 2 years younger than the majority of players there).

McDermott is a tweener which is the main thing that hurts him.

McDermott is a tweener which is the main thing that hurts him.

He also has insanely low block and steal numbers which are bad indicators for playing NBA defense.

I think he will have a Kyle Korver type career but could easily be the next Adam Morrison.

He also has insanely low block and steal numbers which are bad indicators for playing NBA defense.

I think he will have a Kyle Korver type career but could easily be the next Adam Morrison.

Yeah. I think it depends on what team he goes to.

Not sure why I hadn't considered this as a possibility before -- probably because the scenario is so unlikely -- but if DEN gets lucky and grabs a top 3 pick we are really in business.

Not sure why I hadn't considered this as a possibility before -- probably because the scenario is so unlikely -- but if DEN gets lucky and grabs a top 3 pick we are really in business.

Why. We get the worse pick. You mean NY?

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Podcast-Breaking-down-the-2014-Draft-with-SB-Nations-Paul-Flannery-4395

Great listen, Givony talks about the top prospects. If you want to listen no point reading beyond this point.

If you're not interested in listening here are the key notes:

Embiid would be the #1 pick if the draft was tomorrow. Has the great combination of physical attributes, current production and upside.

Wiggins hype was unfair and Wiggins is about where he expected.

Jabari/Melo comparisons are fair

He'd take Wiggins over Parker based on upside. Says Wiggins is at about 30% of what he can be whereas Parker is probably at about 60% of what he can be. Obviously there's no guarantee Wiggins improves his weaknesses but "if you've endured that much suffering being bad you may as well swing for the fences".

Kentucky have been poor. Bad guard play, bad spacing, WCS been bad. Just lots of bad about Kentucky. On Randle: "It's going to be hard for him NOT to be a 20 and 10 guy in the NBA"

Lots of talk about just generally projecting players that's really interesting but too 'wordy' to break down into a line or two. Also involved some Paul George talk.

Said he's "pretty much sold" on Exum but can understand why people are hesitant since the FIBA U19's were in June/July when Free Agency was taking place. Said it's entirely possible the guy who pulls the trigger on him has never seen him play. Described him as "kind of like what Shaun Livingston was supposed to be before his injury".

Not as down on Smart as other people are. The Texas Tech thing shouldn't affect him really. The chip on his shoulder is part of the appeal for him.

Doug McDermott should be a good roleplayer and has a lot of value in the late lotto.

Lots of good international guys potentially in this draft.

When discussing Aaron Gordon he brought up Kawhi Leonard and the fact that Leonard fell in his draft because he was unskilled but that the Spurs developed him well and that Gordon's career will probably be the same in that it will revolve around where he's drafted and how the team that drafts him molds him.

There, I just saved you 40 minutes :)

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Podcast-Breaking-down-the-2014-Draft-with-SB-Nations-Paul-Flannery-4395

Great listen, Givony talks about the top prospects. If you want to listen no point reading beyond this point.

If you're not interested in listening here are the key notes:

Embiid would be the #1 pick if the draft was tomorrow. Has the great combination of physical attributes, current production and upside.

Wiggins hype was unfair and Wiggins is about where he expected.

Jabari/Melo comparisons are fair

He'd take Wiggins over Parker based on upside. Says Wiggins is at about 30% of what he can be whereas Parker is probably at about 60% of what he can be. Obviously there's no guarantee Wiggins improves his weaknesses but "if you've endured that much suffering being bad you may as well swing for the fences".

Kentucky have been poor. Bad guard play, bad spacing, WCS been bad. Just lots of bad about Kentucky. On Randle: "It's going to be hard for him NOT to be a 20 and 10 guy in the NBA"

Lots of talk about just generally projecting players that's really interesting but too 'wordy' to break down into a line or two. Also involved some Paul George talk.

Said he's "pretty much sold" on Exum but can understand why people are hesitant since the FIBA U19's were in June/July when Free Agency was taking place. Said it's entirely possible the guy who pulls the trigger on him has never seen him play. Described him as "kind of like what Shaun Livingston was supposed to be before his injury".

Not as down on Smart as other people are. The Texas Tech thing shouldn't affect him really. The chip on his shoulder is part of the appeal for him.

Doug McDermott should be a good roleplayer and has a lot of value in the late lotto.

Lots of good international guys potentially in this draft.

When discussing Aaron Gordon he brought up Kawhi Leonard and the fact that Leonard fell in his draft because he was unskilled but that the Spurs developed him well and that Gordon's career will probably be the same in that it will revolve around where he's drafted and how the team that drafts him molds him.

There, I just saved you 40 minutes :)/>

Listened to this earlier today. One thing I can add, they stated this isn't a lebron/Durant draft. This draft won't change the face of the league but there's a lot of good players. Also there's a ton of euros that are having great seasons.

Listened to this earlier today. One thing I can add, they stated this isn't a lebron/Durant draft. This draft won't change the face of the league but there's a lot of good players. Also there's a ton of euros that are having great seasons.

So you mean the 2yr hype surrounding this draft is just that... Hype.

I am waiting until the official declare date is over before I dig into the prospects... Smart taught me a lesson last year

Why. We get the worse pick. You mean NY?

If the worse pick that Denver owns becomes a top three pick, the better pick is then ours. So if Denver has the twelfth pick and NY has the ninth, but Denver gets in the top 3, all of a sudden we have a ninth pick instead of twelfth.