LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I mostly agree with that one. Couple notes. 1. Wow at McDermott. That's pretty high. 2. I'm really high on payne. Pretty sure if take him at 14. Ennis is climbing too. He might finish in the top 14.

I think McDermott is a safe mid-late lotto pick for a team who wants to get into the playoffs and needs a 3 point shooter.

At 14 I'd really hope one of Saric or Hood falls to us. If not I can get on board for Harrell, Payne, Carson or Ennis.

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

Despite all the "great draft" talk out there, this still looks like a pretty normal (or even shallow) draft to me outside the top 5-7 picks.

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

Which is a different way of saying: this draft is still wide open outside of the top 5-7 prospects or so. Plenty of movement still in store.

If we lose Afflalo and choose someone other than Wiggins then Young could be our SG with NY's pick. His length next to Oladipo would be nice, his shot would suit him well if he came around to defense.

--> He's looking good so far tonight against the Razorbacks.

That was pretty interesting.

I watched the next one about Aaron Gordon which had me very surprised. I knew Gordon was a good defensive player but the FG% he allows his opponents is astoundingly low. I think my Kenneth Faried comparison was a little off in that regard (still like my Josh Smith best case one though actually... if Josh Smith wasn't an idiot). I'd be interested in seeing the break down of opponent FG% by position to see if he guards SF's or PF's better though.

Ford's latest Big Board has Embiid one and Wiggins two. Ironically, I'm liking Wiggins more and more. Check out how much Wiggins has to create on his own:

Wiggins has faced expectations that few players could ever match. He's been inconsistent and passive at times. His jumper has been streaky and his handle can be a little loose. If you get past that (we could say the same things about a lot of elite players at age 18), there is still so much that keeps him in contention for the No. 1 pick. He has played his biggest games against his best opponents. Against the five ranked teams KU has played this season, Wiggins is averaging 20 PPG. With the exception of a tough game against San Diego State, his performances against Duke, Florida, Kansas State and Iowa State have been his signature games.

He has done most of his scoring this season without much help, as just 10.5 percent of his jumpers have been assisted this season, per Hoop-Math.com. (Duke's Jabari Parker has been assisted on 57.5 percent of his jumpers, by way of comparison). For the most part, Wiggins has had to create his own scoring opportunities. He has gotten more aggressive putting the ball on the floor and drawing contact around the basket. He is no longer settling for long jumpers. His rebounding numbers have been improving (he had 19 against Iowa State on Monday), and his defense has been better than any other player in our Top 10. When you combine all that with his elite physical attributes and athleticism, for scouts who are comfortable projecting down the road Wiggins is still an elite prospect.

http://insider.espn....gins-falls-no-2

Ford's latest Big Board has Embiid one and Wiggins two. Ironically, I'm liking Wiggins more and more. Check out how much Wiggins has to create on his own:

http://insider.espn....gins-falls-no-2

I still see no reason why he shouldn't go #1. Kansas was the worst school he could have chosen to go to, that system is hurting him so much.