LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I said it prior to the draft but this draft is funny. I don't think anyone would have had a problem with us selecting Gordon with the 5th pick. In fact, I'm betting most of us would have been happy with it. But we pass up a point guard that everyone thought could be the next Penny and there is a near riot on this forum. The bottom line is that we know Hennigan scouted the crap out of both Exum and Smart. After all that scouting he decided he would rather take Gordon. I think that says a lot about Gordon and Payton to be honest.

The thing is I don't see how Gordon could be a bust. His absolute floor is a dominant defender with little offensive game. It wasn't that long ago that the Pistons won a championship with Ben Wallace. That is Gordon's floor. The dude can start in the NBA tomorrow because of his defense. And offense can be taught. Maybe he never becomes a good outside shooter but that doesn't mean he can't turn himself into an offensive threat. Tyson Chandler has made a career out catching passes for dunks. He was limited offensively but still found a way to become a threat on the floor. I don't think anyone can look at Gordon's athleticism and not envision him at least having that ability offensively.

Now lets go out on a crazy limb and assume the 19 year old kid actually improves......

And Chauncey Billups

And Tayshaun Prince

And Rip Hamilton

All of which we have none of.

People who keep comparing him to Kahwi Leonard (or now, Ben Wallace), keep acting like those teams didn't have much better talent surrounding those guys, something that we don't currently have.

And Chauncey Billups

And Tayshaun Prince

And Rip Hamilton

All of which we have none of.

People who keep comparing him to Kahwi Leonard (or now, Ben Wallace), keep acting like those teams didn't have much better talent surrounding those guys, something that we don't currently have.

Those guys weren't that great initially. Everyone except for prince was discarded by their team before everything clicked in Detroit.

Watching the presser now, and I gotta say.... I love the way AG holds himself and speaks. The confidence he has seems genuine, and not cocky. I'm loving what I'm hearing.

His number 00 represents how wide he wants our eyes to be as we watch them play. Love it.

Elfrid shall henceforth be referred to as "Sleepy"

I like "Chef" because Aaron just described him as the unknown small school guy at the Team USA U19 team who was just "cookin" the court.