LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Marcus Smart was LIGHTS OUT again tonight. He splashed a 3/4 court shot as the half expired. The young man is playing out of his mind. POY will be a two horse race between him and Parker. As far as prospects go, I'll update my big board.

1. Jabari Parker

2. Julius Randle

3. Marcus Smart

4. Andrew Wiggins

5. Joel Embiid

6. Rodney Hood

7. James Young

8. Dante Exum

9. Gary Harris

10. Glen Robinson III

Marcus Smart was LIGHTS OUT again tonight. He splashed a 3/4 court shot as the half expired. The young man is playing out of his mind. POY will be a two horse race between him and Parker. As far as prospects go, I'll update my big board.

1. Jabari Parker

2. Julius Randle

3. Marcus Smart

4. Andrew Wiggins

5. Joel Embiid

6. Rodney Hood

7. James Young

8. Dante Exum

9. Gary Harris

10. Glen Robinson III

Lmao, not another Glen Robison, hopefully he is more exciting than and/or not related to the last one. Good player just boring, if GR were a player today he would still play for the Spurs like he did his last season (although for a career he averaged 20.2/scorer).

1. Jabari Parker

2. Julius Randle

3. Marcus Smart

4. Andrew Wiggins

5. Joel Embiid

6. Rodney Hood

7. James Young

8. Dante Exum

9. Gary Harris

10. Glen Robinson III

Not sure if serious. If you think Rodney Hood or James Young are even in the same realm of talent and potential as Dante Exum you're out of your mind.

Not sure if serious. If you think Rodney Hood or James Young are even in the same realm of talent and potential as Dante Exum you're out of your mind.

Any reason Exum may have a Nerlins experience in next years draft?

Lmao, not another Glen Robison, hopefully he is more exciting than and/or not related to the last one. Good player just boring, if GR were a player today he would still play for the Spurs like he did his last season (although for a career he averaged 20.2/scorer).

He is his son...

He is his son...

I know... I have nothing against GR; that's just funny to me that its a new GR all over again like a clone or something. It would be hilarious if he started out in Milwaukee.

Watching Dayton v Baylor and Austin looks unimpressive. He's just big; good for cleanups, put backs, etc. But no moves or shot. Can't see that translating well to the next level.

good read on Smart

To a big segment of the media and of basketball fans, everything Smart does in 2013-14 will be haunted by the NBA might-have-been. Was he named Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year? Great; he could have been playing in Orlando. Did he score a stunning 39 points in a win over 11th-ranked Memphis? Might have caught that game on the radio in his Bentley. Add in the low hum of worry about injury — what if he blows out a knee, what if his career ends in Stillwater — and the angelic chorus of hype above the current freshman class, and you start to get a sense of what a strange figure he cuts in this year's NCAA. He's a thrilling basketball player who somehow reads as more disappointing the more exciting he becomes. He's succeeded his way into something that looks, from the outside, kind of like failure.

I'm not just making that up; people say this stuff. We occupy a sports-media culture in which it's seen as pretty normal for adults in their forties and fifties to stage loud Lincoln-Douglas debates on the personal choices of teenagers. First Take did more than eight minutes on Smart's decision to come back. "NOT a Smart Move," thundered a concerned Skip Bayless. Sports arguments are like very fast chess matches in which each piece that is removed represents a little bit of nuance. After a few moves there's not a lot of subtlety left. It's not that Smart doesn't have defenders; there are still plenty of college basketball fans ready to cheer going back to school on principle; there's also Stephen A. Smith, who's just glad that Smart is getting laid. But the debate itself acts as a mechanism to eliminate gradation and complexity. A quick-read cultural logic takes over. The messy human stuff that actually animates a decision like Smart's gets overwritten by positions that are easy to define and repeat. He "left money on the table." He "values the college experience." The subtext of a lot of sports arguments is that guys want rules for how they're supposed to live in the universe.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10041111/marcus-smart-returns-oklahoma-state

Smart has impressed me the past few games but that's still not enough for me to put him in the top 5.

Need to see a full season of him.

Also, for anyone who is in awe over stat lines, look at kemba walker. He's one of my favorite college players ever, pretty much single handedly won the Maui invitational, the big east tournament, and the national championship. He averaged 23 ppg with 1 42 point game. He was a machine that year.

In the NBA he's a solid starting point guard who plays inefficiently as a #1 option. He might end up as an all star if he ends up in a good situation down the line and a couple other players are injured. He's not a franchise changer.

My point being, look at who these players are going to be, not who they are now.

The point you just made is exactly how I think. I was watching some vids on YouTube earlier of Derrick Williams single handedly tearing apart Duke in the tournament now a couple of years later he's getting traded for pennies. In my mind Wiggins and Exum are still 1 and 2 based on the fact that they both have the potential to be generational talents.