LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Chad Ford was on SVP/Russilo saying that he thinks the Magic will draft Exum, then why the hell did you say they'll pick Vonleh in your mock?

He's full of baloney

this foot surgery issue with Randle is really something. Teams say he'll need surgery but he's saying he won't have any surgery. Now teams think if he's not open to it, it'll cause major problems down the road. Stock DOWN!!! (shout out to Sky).

@WojYahooNBA

Yahoo Sources: Kentucky forward Julius Randle willl likely need foot surgery after NBA Draft, miss two months

@J30_RANDLE

I never do this but it was brought to me and it's crazy how people put stories out there and have no clue what they are talking about.

@J30_RANDLE

No disrespect but check with the actual source next time befor you put something like that out there @WojYahooNBA

@WojYahooNBA

Multiple teams considering Randle in and out of draft lottery have his medical info and expect him to have surgery on foot. It is an issue.

@WojYahooNBA

NBA teams are aworried that Randle failing to undergo a relatively minor procedure this summer could leave him open to major problems later.

• Upvote 1

For those who have ESPN insider Chad Ford just issued his annual "Tier" rankings. This is not his ranking but comes from polling NBA GM's and Scouts.

Draft Tiers

Tier 1 is sure fire All-Stars or Franchise players-

Embid, Parker, Wiggins

Tier 2 is Potential All-Stars

Exum, Vonleh, Gordon, Smart, Randle, Saric

Tier 3 is likely Starters

Harris, McDermott, Staukas

I won't list Tier 4 and 5 but to compare this to last year when no players were ranked in Tiers 1 or 2 (Dipo was a 3 ranking). Most drafts only have 3 or 4 players ranked in the top two Tiers but this one is 9 deep! The last draft ranked this deep was the 2003 draft that produced 8 All-Stars.

I know some people would rather keep AA but this would be the draft to move up with our second pick to grab a second top 9 player.

Interesting note is that most people here put Exum on the level with the "Big Three" but NBA GM's don't see it that way…All of our favorite's in the same tier….Exum, Vonleh, Smart, Randle.

Thanks for posting….

Interesting note is that most people here put Exum on the level with the "Big Three" but NBA GM's don't see it that way…All of our favorite's in the same tier….Exum, Vonleh, Smart, Randle.

Thanks for posting….

There are some that view Exum as part of that top tier, it's not an all or nothing prospect.

Chad Ford was on SVP/Russilo saying that he thinks the Magic will draft Exum, then why the hell did you say they'll pick Vonleh in your mock?

Nobody knows what it means, but it's provocative. Gets the people going.

• Upvote 2

There are some that view Exum as part of that top tier, it's not an all or nothing prospect.

To piggyback on this, it doesn't really matter from our perspective because the other three will be gone and Exum is almost universally viewed as the BPA at #4. If this guy played college ball in the US, opines might be dramatically different (admittedly in either direction) but there does seem to be a consensus that this guy is extremely talented and has an ultra high ceiling.

Gotcha and I agree. The Embiid news was big, when paired with the reveal of the Bucks true draft board. Just gotta hope Exum has a good workout.

What have you heard as far as the Magic's interest in him? I want to believe they like him, but even I'm starting to fall into the "meeting with Smart twice" hype.

I think meeting Smart twice is to ensure that Smart is a better player than Exum.

People gotta keep in mind that Exum played against the best players in the draft in the World tournament and he looked unstoppable.

He is in the same tier as Parker, Wiggins and Embiid.

He is a lock at 4. unless Smart convinced Henni that he has a higher potential... which I doubt.

I see smart as a young Baron Davis with less handle and shooting, but better defense.

This is not to put Exum down because he and Vonleh are both gonna be super players….Vonleh was freshman of the year in the Big Ten….A conference that had 2 teams in the elite 8 (Wisconsin, Michigan)….He made 3rd team all Big Ten….All at the young age of 18 years old….Kid doesn't turn 19 until August 24….Accomplished all of this at the age of 18….Just remembering back to my life and what I was like at 18, lol.

I checked a bit more and found that Vonleh is actually a month and a half younger than Exum…..Vonleh is more than likely gonna grow some more….Hopefully it's his body that grows more and not his hands, lol.

Facts are facts, Exum has not played against the level of competition that Vonleh has to this point in his career…..Not saying Exum isn't gonna be a baller too.

And this next sentence is gonna go against popular opinion but I value the opinions of people like Kevin Pelton because they spend basically all of their time studying this stuff and I really don't think anyone on this board can stake that claim, lol.

Vonleh fits our team better than Exum….I really believe this and now on Chad Ford Best Player available list Vonleh is at 4 and Exum is at 5.

Your call Rob Hennigan…..

vonleh will be a bust

• Upvote 2

I'm definitely hoping for Nicholson to have a better year this coming season. A lot of people seem to have written him off but I think he could still be a useful player if he gets back to scoring in the post and takes less 3 pointers. I still feel he could be like a Luis Scola type player with some improvements.

Nicholson is a good bench player, he not going anywhere unless we package him to get a star.

Same thing with Moe Harkiless... Orlando's bench is forming with O'Quinn, Nicholson and Harkless...

All they need now is a starting PF, PG and a backup combo guard that can run the 2nd unit and score... hopefully we can draft that guy @ 12.