LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Ok I admit I was just being a d*ick. I can't help it, you've accused me of hating on Randle so many times that I'm now naturally inclined to do it haha.

He's a solid defensively player, nothing special, nothing terrible. He moves his feet and he plays decent post defense. Actually his defense reminds me of Big Baby's. I certainly wouldn't say his defense is better than his offense or anything like that though. Virtually all his potential is in how he can impact the game offensively.

Miami is extremely soft under the rim and they're in the middle of a dynasty.

Lebron himself is tougher than anyone on our team when at PF. And Birdman holds his own. The only reason he was available as a FA was because of his drug history.

How can you know what Henny's "scouting matrix" values highly?

He has talked about it in the past. His matrix is based on a players ability to impact several areas on the court.

Randle is an immediate impact two way player as well.

Wiggins is more athletic than Paul George. He has elite athleticism, as in there may not be anyone of his caliber in the league when he gets there. Skill is the acquired talent that separates him from being great, and the desire. The competition is open for Wiggins, at the least.

Biggest ? at the top is Embiid's health, next is a tie for Smart's impact and Parker's ability to be more than a volume scorer. Third is how high Gordon and Vonleh measure and ultimately regarded.

I dont understand some of your post.... (around biggest)

I dont see randle as a two way player. I dont think he has bad defense but I dont see him making a different on that side. His impact will be small. The best thing he provides for a defensive is rebounding. This helps close out a defensive stop. I dont see randle blocking shots, stealing the ball, or being a defensive stopper. I see more of a david west impact. He will not be a liability, but again, he will not make a major impact.

I also like smart but I dont think he has the ceiling of exum, wiggins, or embiid. They are much more athletic.

Ok I admit I was just being a d*ick. I can't help it, you've accused me of hating on Randle so many times that I'm now naturally inclined to do it haha.

He's a solid defensively player, nothing special, nothing terrible. He moves his feet and he plays decent post defense. Actually his defense reminds me of Big Baby's. I certainly wouldn't say his defense is better than his offense or anything like that though. Virtually all his potential is in how he can impact the game offensively.

See that's whats funny about this business, my concerns with Randle are his shot selection and ability to get off good looks outside the paint due to predictable mechanics. I don't think he'll be bad at offense by any means, but I feel he will be an above average defender, although not all-nba. Either way he seems to be poised for double doubles which adds value at the 4/5 spot in any draft and makes him one of the surest things this year.

You realize that is a compilation of his first 9 college games, right? SSS ring a bell? He has improved greatly and still looks darn good in that video. Every single 'weakness' showed him getting triple teamed, at the least. Not a convincing argument there.

Also, in the 'below the rim' part, aside from being triple-quadruple teamed, he also got the offensive rebound in all but two...and a third which was a turnover before a good shot. Once again...not a good argument against him if thats the weakness you find.

Randle is athletic but he does not get much lift when finishing. he stays flat footed when finishing. I like his agressiveness and wide body. I just see him having problems with taller nba players. To make issues worest, he does not use his right hand and pros will counter that quickly.

Alright, this is a good question (since it seems to be up for debate), assuming we do get the 5th pick and Exum, Wiggins, Embiid, and Parker are off the board... do we pick Smart or Randle?

I take Smart.

I have some reservations about Embiid

Everyone does with the back issue. If he's medically cleared he's got to be given consideration though.

Alright, this is a good question (since it seems to be up for debate), assuming we do get the 5th pick and Exum, Wiggins, Embiid, and Parker are off the board... do we pick Smart or Randle?

I take Smart.

I'm aware that this is a very real scenario but the thought of it makes me cringe. If all we have to show from this season is Randle or Smart (I'd throw Vonleh in that discussion too at #5) then I'll be very disappointed. If we get 5 I'll really be hoping that some team above us goes the "safe" route and drafts Randle.