LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Here's an interesting look at the Magic draft situation (pick no. #4) and how each of the top 4 players would fit from Orlando PinStripedPost…….

Potential fit in Orlando: Provided he's healthy, Embiid will not be available when Orlando selects, but he would be excellent value at No. 4, especially if the Magic wanted to make another move on Draft Night.

I'm not sold that he would fit alongside Nikola Vucevic, but picking Embiid wouldn't be for the purposes of playing the two together. It would give the Magic options in 2015 when Vucevic becomes a restricted free agent. If his value rises to a price the Magic are unwilling to pay, then they can let Vucevic walk and allow Embiid to fill the starting spot, still on a rookie contract. Boom.

Potential fit in Orlando:

Victor Oladipo would have to make more strides as a playmaker in order to play point guard with Wiggins at the two. Wiggins isn't a great ballhandler yet and I'm not convinced he'll ever be a great passer. But Wiggins would also give Orlando two of the best backcourt athletes in the NBA. The pairing would immediately be a terror on defense and in transition.

I think it could work in the half court if Arron Afflalo were sandwiched between the two, giving Orlando an extra playmaker on offense and taking pressure off of Wiggins to come in and be a high-volume scorer. Jameer Nelson would also work alongside the young pair. He could run the offense, giving Oladipo and Wiggins the freedom to wreak havoc on the wings. I'm not sure there's a chance, though, that the former Kansas wing falls to the fourth overall pick.

Potential fit in Orlando: I addressed the topic of whether or not Tobias Harris and Parker can co-exist earlier this year in a mailbag. Harris and Parker are very different offensive players. Harris bullies his way to the rim on straight-line drives, whereas Parker uses a variety of finesse moves and is a legitimate three-point threat. I like the idea of rolling with two combo forwards and cross-matching based on matchups.

I also like the idea of keeping fluidity within the roster. Parker isn't a tweener; he can legitimately play either forward spot, depending on the lineup. He could also serve as an extra ballhandler, taking pressure off of Oladipo. There's a lot of different ways you can use Parker, and that's a big advantage. If he slips to no. 4, the Magic won't hesitate to pick him.

Potential fit in Orlando: Oladipo and Exum could work in a modern, two-guard lineup, an offensive set that Orlando used a lot in the 2013/14 season. The two could work to relieve ballhandling pressure off one another. Defense is where they'd thrive. The combo would be super long, athletic, and able to handle any type of cross-matching.

The issue here is shooting. If both backcourt players are poor long-range shooters then it'll absolutely kill the team's spacing. That was already an issue in 2013/14, and if neither Exum nor Oladipo can command respect from deep, then teams will cramp the lane and invite them to launch jumpers. That alignment, in turn, cancels out any athletic advantage that the pair might have. If one player--or even better, both--can become a consistent jump shooter, then the pairing will work well. If not, it could really be a disaster.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/6/7/5781598/2014-nba-draft-scouting-report-andrew-wiggins-joel-embiid-orlando-magic

I'm sorry but the article is not that good and simply reeks of a guy throwing darts at a wall. Right now a "tremendous fit" for the Magic is NOT a PF who does not provide a significant level of interior defense.

The closest thing to a tremendous fit is Exum if he deliver on potential. He is a perfect compliment to Oladipo. Another fit I would consider more tremendous than Randle is Smart. This is a PG league, and both of these PGs are ideal to play next to Victor, since they would immediately make a difference to the Magic's woeful Defense, and be able to develop as offensive initiators.

At one point in the article he suggests trading pick #4 for a veteran player. If you have any idea of what the Magic are trying to do, you would know better to even suggest this would happen.

Cat, here's another writer that likes the fit of Randle to the Magic….Orlando Pinstriped Post…Interesting stuff, man….Take a few moments and give it a look.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/4/30/5666940/2014-nba-draft-julius-randle-orlando-magic-analysis

Cat, here's another writer that likes the fit of Randle to the Magic….Orlando Pinstriped Post…Interesting stuff, man….Take a few moments and give it a look.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/4/30/5666940/2014-nba-draft-julius-randle-orlando-magic-analysis

the player that i would less like to see is randle. i dont think he is a good fit, nor the best player available, and he will have issues on deffense. I think he will have an impact like big baby. A younger chucker who will have issues blocking shots.

I do like his handle and agression around the basket, but I think there will be better talent. He is my second rated pf.

With all due respect, I like Randle a lot and think he could be a great player, but with a top 4 pick taking him would be a horrible mistake.

In fact, I can about guarantee you it will never happen, so posting articles from bloggers really won't change anything.

The Magic will take Wiggins/Parker/Embiid/Vonleh/Exum or Smart over Randle.

Randle could have David West like production, but we need a high ceiling all star with pick #4.

With all due respect, I like Randle a lot and think he could be a great player, but with a top 4 pick taking him would be a horrible mistake.

In fact, I can about guarantee you it will never happen, so posting articles from bloggers really won't change anything.

Randle could have David West like production, but we need a high ceiling all star with pick #4.

I agree

Interesting little Magic fan poll….With almost 400 votes tabulated with the number 12 pick these fans wanted Doug McDermott…..He got twice as many votes as any other candidate.

After being a season ticket holder for many seasons during J.J. Redick's time with the team I can tell you this poll does not surprise me…..McDermott seems to be of the same mold.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/6/6/5785702/orlando-pinstriped-post-community-draft-board-2014-moving-on-to-no-12

I think most casual fans just pick the name that they know. I think McDermott will have a productive career as a roleplayer for some team but I think there will be better value at 12.

the player that i would less like to see is randle. i dont think he is a good fit, nor the best player available, and he will have issues on deffense. I think he will have an impact like big baby. A younger chucker who will have issues blocking shots.

I do like his handle and agression around the basket, but I think there will be better talent. He is my second rated pf.

I don't like Randle at 4 by any means, but he is a much better prospect than Big Baby was or ever could aspire to be in a million years.

Who's to say that Randle doesn't have a high ceiling? I'd like to see how good he could be in the pros without being double and triple teamed so much. You can't get away with playing that kind of defense on someone in the NBA and leave a shooter wife open. Man I can't wait until the 26th.

I don't like Randle at 4 by any means, but he is a much better prospect than Big Baby was or ever could aspire to be in a million years.

Lets put it this way, my floor/ceiling for randle is: Glen Davis floor - Karl Malone ceiling

you do realize that glen davis averaged 18pt, 10reb, 1steal, 1blk at LSU?

Wather you like him or not, at 290, davis is quick on his feet and phical on the court. they are both below the rim style players and dont mind trying to scorer when ever they see the rim and the ball in their hand. I know randle is a better jumper but he does not play that way when finishing around the basket.

Davis was also a better shooter coming out of college. with davis's steal and block rate, out of college, it could be said that davis projects higher.

In terms of high ceiling all-star at pick #4….Not convinced Exum could reach that level playing next to Olidipo for reasons already listed many times….Wiggins has huge question marks surrounding him these days….I think Embiid and Parker could both meet our need for high ceiling all-star but the problem is I don't think either will be there at #4.

Back to Randle….I saw on another thread you were highly critical of another poster for throwing things off the wall and not doing any research and just blindly giving an opinion….Well the blogger article which you criticize was full of opinions backed up by facts and numbers.

In fact, talking about research…..????….I wish you'd click this link and see the research this "FAN" has put into his post about Randle.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2014/5/29/5761066/making-a-case-for-randle

Now, I'm not suggesting Rob take Randle at #4….I've seen Emory post often that he would take Randle at #5 but not #4….What difference should one spot matter ???

Have no idea what Henny is gonna do and I would add that with all of these variables surrounding the top players that Rob really has his work cut out for him….All I know is the draft is just 18 days away and I can't wait to find out !!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I do not think winning next year is top priority... yet. I think next season will still be a massive player development season, the only people that will judge next season purely on win/loss are those short sighted fans who would rather always being a 4-10 seed in the east rather than stints as contenders and then rebuilding. I could easily deal with another season out of playoffs as it would put us in the most ultimate position to become contenders.

I think winning is the priority, along with player development. I guess maybe I am in the minority where I still believe that even if you are in a playoff position you can still develop as a player (SMH). I see fewer reasons how missing playoffs would be better for the players than making them. Much fewer. I am not short sighted, and because we are contending for the playoffs does not mean I would rather us be a 4-10 seed-that makes no sense and lacks merit.