LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Since it's been a few weeks since the draft lottery and we've seen prospects' workouts/interviews etc;

I'd like to see what everyone's boards look like (Top 20 Prospects):

01. Jabari Parker

02. Andrew Wiggins

03. Marcus Smart (yes I'm high on him)

04. Joel Embiid

05. Noah Vonleh

06. Julius Randle

07. Dante Exum

08. Aaron Gordon

09. Dario Saric

10. James Young

11. Nick Stauskas

12. Doug McDermott

13. Adreian Payne

14. Zach Lavine

15. Rodney Hood

16. Elfrid Payton

17. Gary Harris

18. Jusuf Nurkic

19. K.J. McDaniels

20. Tyler Ennis

In saying this:

Give me a Smart/Payne or a Vonleh/Lavine tandem and I'll be pleased. Although I'll be happy with whatever.

These would be my ideal scenarios if Afflalo isn't traded.

Since it's been a few weeks since the draft lottery and we've seen prospects' workouts/interviews etc;

I'd like to see what everyone's boards look like (Top 20 Prospects):

Not going to rate any international player except Exum because I really don't know a whole lot about them. I don't personally like Saric, but I'm intrigued by the two big men (Porzingis and Tavares) talked about recently but I can't exactly rate them fairly against guys I watched all year. Exum is the exception because his quickness and size have me wanting the Magic to draft him if Parker/Wiggins cannot be had.

1. Jabari Parker

2. Andrew Wiggins

3. Dante Exum

4. Joel Embid

5. Aaron Gordon

6. Marcus Smart

7. Julius Randle

8. Noah Vonleh

9. Gary Harris

10. James Young

11. Elfrid Payton

12. Adreian Payne

13. Nik Stauskas

14. Doug Mcdermott

15. P.J. Hairston

16. Tyler Ennis

17. TJ Warren

18. Rodney Hood

19. Zach LaVine

20. Jerami Grant

My Talent Tiers:

Tier 1: Wiggins, Parker, Embid, Exum

Tier 2: Gordon, Randle, Smart, Vonleh

Tier 3: Harris, Young, Payton,

Tier 4: Payne, Stauskas, Mcdermott, Hairston, Ennis

Tier 5: Warren, Hood, LaVine, Grant

Ball junkie, if Young, Stauskas, and Harris are all on the board at 12 I think you take them in the order I listed them. IMO it's pretty close between Young and Stauskas because I feel both will end up having above average pro careers. Young probably has the most potential but Stauskas would contribute a lot sooner with his shooting ability. In saying that, it's no secret that I'm not high on Harris. TBH I'd take Lavine, Payne, and Payton before I would Harris at #12.

Sounds good to me boss....Which brings me to another thought I'm pondering....Since the Magic have sucked 2 years in a row and attendance is really starting to lag how important is winning next year ???.....Drafting Smart over Exum means more wins next year....Drafting Stauskas over Young probably means the same thing only because of the experience and savy edge Stauskas holds over Young not necessarily talent.....Just a thought.

Sounds good to me boss....Which brings me to another thought I'm pondering....Since the Magic have sucked 2 years in a row and attendance is really starting to lag how important is winning next year ???.....Drafting Smart over Exum means more wins next year....Drafting Stauskas over Young probably means the same thing only because of the experience and savy edge Stauskas holds over Young not necessarily talent.....Just a thought.

I do not think winning next year is top priority... yet. I think next season will still be a massive player development season, the only people that will judge next season purely on win/loss are those short sighted fans who would rather always being a 4-10 seed in the east rather than stints as contenders and then rebuilding. I could easily deal with another season out of playoffs as it would put us in the most ultimate position to become contenders.

I do not think winning next year is top priority... yet. I think next season will still be a massive player development season, the only people that will judge next season purely on win/loss are those short sighted fans who would rather always being a 4-10 seed in the east rather than stints as contenders and then rebuilding. I could easily deal with another season out of playoffs as it would put us in the most ultimate position to become contenders.

I think another sub 25 win season would be bad. I personally feel like, given we add a couple good players through the draft, this team should at least win 35 games. 10 more wins doesn't seem like a lot but it gives the fans (mainly the season ticket holders) a reason to get excited and renew for next season. If we have another 20 win year, amway will be empty. Which isn't a huge deal to me but I feel like the talent is in place to win a few more games, it's the coaching that I think will continue to hold this team back in the future.

Given we hit on the draft, I don't think an 8 seed in the east is completely out of the question and it's not like that would make us stuck as a mediocre team. We would continue to develop in following years and climb the rankings in the east, kind of like the Pacers did (although now they appear to be stuck). Not saying i expect the playoffs or would be mad if we didn't make it, just saying i don't think it's completely out of the question.

I think the City of Orlando is more concerned about attendance than the Magic are. From what I've read season ticket sales are still pretty good, but for the last couple of years the actual attendance is about 22% less than ticket sales. Since the Magic are selling tickets and getting huge TV money, they can stay in rebuild mode without it hurting their pocketbook. Not the same for the city that makes money on concession sales, parking, and foot traffic (attendees spending money at businesses adjacent to the stadium). As far as the fans, I think most of us just want to see an improvement in the game plan of making this team a contender again.

Drafting Smart over Exum means more wins next year....

Fascinating.

I think the City of Orlando is more concerned about attendance than the Magic are. From what I've read season ticket sales are still pretty good, but for the last couple of years the actual attendance is about 22% less than ticket sales. Since the Magic are selling tickets and getting huge TV money, they can stay in rebuild mode without it hurting their pocketbook. Not the same for the city that makes money on concession sales, parking, and foot traffic (attendees spending money at businesses adjacent to the stadium). As far as the fans, I think most of us just want to see an improvement in the game plan of making this team a contender again.

It could easily be argued that being a playoff team every year, or being a contender 5 years and a lottery team 5 years could pull in similar ticket sales, as a contender it would be higher and as a lottery lower.

I really don't care about what the city wants, I would prefer to see a complete rebuild and put in the best position to be a contender, I still reckon we would benefit from one last year down the bottom and then making a splash. We would at least have more pieces to deal and have a more complete picture on which of our young guys we want here.Too often you see teams stuck in 6-12 range. ***** that.

It could easily be argued that being a playoff team every year, or being a contender 5 years and a lottery team 5 years could pull in similar ticket sales, as a contender it would be higher and as a lottery lower.

I really don't care about what the city wants, I would prefer to see a complete rebuild and put in the best position to be a contender, I still reckon we would benefit from one last year down the bottom and then making a splash. We would at least have more pieces to deal and have a more complete picture on which of our young guys we want here.Too often you see teams stuck in 6-12 range. ***** that.

I'm with you on that. But with the players we already have (Vuch, Vic, Harris, Affalo, Harkless, Quinn) and you throw in Exum/Smart with Harris, Stausks or Young, would you be shocked if the team made a 10+ winning jump? I don't see how that team once again wins less than 25 games unless we are purposely trying to again.

I don't care about what the city wants either, I was just making a point that the Magic don't feel pressured into having to turn this team into a contender overnight. Of course having a losing record doesn't exactly assure you of a good draft pick though, ala the Detroit Pistons. I feel bad for SVG in that regards. I take that back. I still hate the Pistons.

I'd like to see what everyone's boards look like

1. Wiggins

2. Exum

3. Embiid

4. Randle

5. Parker

6. Vonleh

7. Gordon

8. Smart

9. Young

10. Harris

I don't see us taking Stauskas and keeping him if we get Smart. Exum - yes. That would be a sick lineup that would allow Stauskas to guard the 2 and Exum to utilize his 6'10 wingspan on a SF. Staukus is a best case scenario at 12 if we get Exum.

If the Magic could then trade Afflalo for Gordon, this roster would be devastating in 3 years, and in the playoffs by 2015.

That's such a fantasy that I am not sure it could happen, but IMO it would be a best case scenario because the Magic would become one of the most athletic and balanced lineups in basketball and able to defend both big and small teams.

A real scenario that would probably pay off in the short term is to draft Smart and then grab Hood. I have seen Hood compared to Rashard Lewis in terms of scoring potential and I would take that in 2 seconds at the 12 spot to balance out Smart and Oladipo.

I think my first lineup would win championships though, and I think Exum and Gordon get on the level of Rose and Noah with the Magic having a better supporting cast around them with Vuc/Stauskas and Victor.