LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I see someone taking a flyer on Sykes in mid to late 2nd round. Kid was in beast mode last night.

Sykes is more of a product of being on a terrible team. UCF's offense is literally "give Sykes the ball while everyone else stands and watches."

Solid player, but drafting him would be a huge mistake, imo. Wing players take significant value hits when they can't shoot and aren't, at the very least, good defenders. If anything, he'll get camp invites.

Sykes' best attribute is probably his ability to handle the ball, though.

Does anybody think Bryce Cottion will get drafted? He seems like a solid player but I never hear people talk about him much. If he's not drafted then I'd love to bring him to this team.

First time I've posted in a long time...

What is the general consensus for the first pick?

For my money, even though I hate Duke with a passion...I would love to see Parker in a Magic uniform, I'm just afraid that if the Magic get the 3rd pick, he won't be there.

I think the Magic need to get a little bigger at PG and PF, seems like we have a lot of SF and some of them are playing out of position.

7'0 -- 2 players

6'10 -- 1 player

6'9 -- 3 players

6'7 -- 2 players

6'5 -- 1 player

6'4 -- 3 players

6'2 -- 1 player

6'0 -- 1 player

Jabari Parker is 6'8

Andrew Wiggins is 6'8

Julius Randle is 6'9 (think Zach Randolph...actually I'm pretty sure Zach Randolph just decided to go back to college)

Joel Embiid is 7'0 (but his back issues concern me and I think Vucevic is our future Center)

Marcus Smart is 6'4

Dante Exum is 6'6 (but no one has any clue what he plays like outside of the usa vs the world game)

Looking over the mock draft board...it seems like there are a lot of SF and under...not many decent big men. Would Doug McDermott work with the Magic, with their second pick? Go back to a stretch 4?

For my money, even though I hate Duke with a passion...I would love to see Parker in a Magic uniform, I'm just afraid that if the Magic get the 3rd pick, he won't be there.

I think the Magic need to get a little bigger at PG and PF, seems like we have a lot of SF and some of them are playing out of position.

7'0 -- 2 players

6'10 -- 1 player

6'9 -- 3 players

6'7 -- 2 players

6'5 -- 1 player

6'4 -- 3 players

6'2 -- 1 player

6'0 -- 1 player

Jabari Parker is 6'8

Andrew Wiggins is 6'8

Julius Randle is 6'9 (think Zach Randolph...actually I'm pretty sure Zach Randolph just decided to go back to college)

Joel Embiid is 7'0 (but his back issues concern me and I think Vucevic is our future Center)

Marcus Smart is 6'4

Dante Exum is 6'6 (but no one has any clue what he plays like outside of the usa vs the world game)

Looking over the mock draft board...it seems like there are a lot of SF and under...not many decent big men. Would Doug McDermott work with the Magic, with their second pick? Go back to a stretch 4?

I think McDermott will be the next Adam Morrison

Does anybody think Bryce Cottion will get drafted? He seems like a solid player but I never hear people talk about him much. If he's not drafted then I'd love to bring him to this team.

Doubt it.There are much better guard prospects. Then again if he has a massive performance against a big team he might put himself on the radar enough to get chosen in the second but right now I don't see it.

7'0 -- 2 players

6'10 -- 1 player

6'9 -- 3 players

6'7 -- 2 players

6'5 -- 1 player

6'4 -- 3 players

6'2 -- 1 player

6'0 -- 1 player

Jabari Parker is 6'8

Andrew Wiggins is 6'8

Marcus Smart is 6'4

There is no general consensus for the #1 pick. If Embiid is fully healthy and there's no fear from any doctors or anything I think he has to be the consensus guy. There just aren't many bigs nowadays who can impact the game in as many ways as he potentially could.

I've made it clear that Exum is the guy I want so I won't have a problem with us drafting 3rd or 4th (assuming all of Embiid, Parker and Wiggins declare). There are some decent bigs in the (wide) range of around 8-20. Noah Vonleh might be there if our 2nd pick is in the 8's or 9's and if not there are guys like Montrezl Harrell, Adriean Payne and Clint Capela.

I like McDermott for his shooting (the Magic need some more players who can stretch the floor) but he'll be a liability on defense which is an issue and I don't think he's an NBA starter unless you have Dwight Howard or Roy Hibbert at the 5.

This is why I don't watch college basketball to try to track prospects: a week ago people were writing off Wiggins as being overrated. A couple big games later, people are remembering why they thought he had ridiculous potential in the first place.

I just don't need that kind of thing.

This is why I don't watch college basketball to try to track prospects: a week ago people were writing off Wiggins as being overrated. A couple big games later, people are remembering why they thought he had ridiculous potential in the first place.

So how do you track prospects if you don't watch them play?

So how do you track prospects if you don't watch them play?

I don't.

I wait until the end of the season, so I can look back at the entire thing with a decent sample size, so I know I'm seeing a complete picture, so I can easily see trends, and so I can eliminate recency bias more effectively.

For what it's worth I've been pro wiggins the whole season. Almost to a fault.