LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

So you aren't on board with a potentially once-in-a-generation offensive talent because he's a few pounds over your own subjective ideal?

So you aren't on board with a potentially once-in-a-generation offensive talent because he's a few pounds over your own subjective ideal?

Correct, because it may not translate once he's met his match physically in the NBA. There's really no reason an 18-19 yr old basketball player should be carrying extra weight anyways.Lay off the doughnuts and get your arse in the gym!

Smart has impressed me the past few games but that's still not enough for me to put him in the top 5.

Need to see a full season of him.

Also, for anyone who is in awe over stat lines, look at kemba walker. He's one of my favorite college players ever, pretty much single handedly won the Maui invitational, the big east tournament, and the national championship. He averaged 23 ppg with 1 42 point game. He was a machine that year.

In the NBA he's a solid starting point guard who plays inefficiently as a #1 option. He might end up as an all star if he ends up in a good situation down the line and a couple other players are injured. He's not a franchise changer.

My point being, look at who these players are going to be, not who they are now.

I don't think you're appreciating how good Smart is playing right now. His per40s numbers have him at 30 ppg on awesome efficiency and a mind-boggling 6 steals per game. He is easily in the Wiggins/Parker/Exum/Randle tier with his current play. Based on his absurdly high steal and free throw rate as well as his physical attributes, Smart could potentially be a monster in the NBA. He could be James Harden good when it comes to drawing contact and getting to the line. I gave him a free pass for a lot of his mistakes his freshman year because he showed so much promise in those two key areas that if he could become a merely okay shooter he would be dominant.

Actually, he's probably been better than Randle who has a huge red flag in that he's yet to record a steal in a game so far.

I don't think you're appreciating how good Smart is playing right now. His per40s numbers have him at 30 ppg on awesome efficiency and a mind-boggling 6 steals per game. He is easily in the Wiggins/Parker/Exum/Randle tier with his current play. Based on his absurdly high steal and free throw rate as well as his physical attributes, Smart could potentially be a monster in the NBA. He could be James Harden good when it comes to drawing contact and getting to the line. I gave him a free pass for a lot of his mistakes his freshman year because he showed so much promise in those two key areas that if he could become a merely okay shooter he would be dominant.

Actually, he's probably been better than Randle who has a huge red flag in that he's yet to record a steal in a game so far.

For me it's more about not changing my opinions after a couple good games. His highs are very high but his lows are still apparent. He's definitely trending in the right direction.

30/4/4 on 18 shots for Smart. OK State looked absolutely horrible when he sat with foul trouble.

These last three games he's really elevated his level of play. I think he's potentially a top 3 pick.

ORL big board 011/2013 (IMO)

1) Wiggins

2) Randle

3) Parker

4) Smart

5) Exum

6) Embid

7) Cauley-Stein

big board update

• Upvote 1

1.Wiggins

2. Exum

3. Randle

4. Jabari

5. Smart

And I'd take any of them.

Agreed. I'm not as quick to put Exum so high, but that's because I know very little about him. I can see any of these guys fitting well with our core though. We could have a lot of options depending on where we draft.

All the concerns with Smart were evident down the stretch today. Really forcing it -- bad shots, bad TOs, 0-3 FTs in final minute. Really should've been a W for Butler, OKST gave it away.