Sign in to follow this  
ibonedteribell

Biggie back up, check out Angelo Reyes form PR

Reyes has not played in the NBA so how can he compare it to previous seasons? They are talking about FIBA and if the stats are true, then why cant he mention it? He never said he was better than Howard, as good as Howard or near Howard, he just say that in that particular tournament he had those number.

Arroyo fans overreact and so do puertorricans but the people on the other side of the argument do the exact same thing.

I'm assuming that Reyes played organized basketball at some level last season. So lets just assume that I was refering to his numbers from last year to Dwight's stats with the Magic. I know Reyes didn't play in the NBA which is why I brought up the competition level.

But if we are talking about the FIBA tourney then the comparison is a little more valid. Still not a good one but better because at least the competition is the same. From looking at Reyes stats he clearly got alot more minutes and opportunities than Howard got and the stats are still similar. I'm thinking that if Dwight had played for the PR squad his numbers would have been just a little bit higher.

and the per 40 minutes stat is still the dumbest statistic ever created.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

I'm assuming that Reyes played organized basketball at some level last season. So lets just assume that I was refering to his numbers from last year to Dwight's stats with the Magic. I know Reyes didn't play in the NBA which is why I brought up the competition level.

But if we are talking about the FIBA tourney then the comparison is a little more valid. Still not a good one but better because at least the competition is the same. From looking at Reyes stats he clearly got alot more minutes and opportunities than Howard got and the stats are still similar. I'm thinking that if Dwight had played for the PR squad his numbers would have been just a little bit higher.

You are right and I agree with you.About Reyes, he just used his name for a comparo in fiba games, just that.what if instead of Howard he use Dalembert (76er) since dalembert played a bigger role with Canada than Reyes did for P.R. ?

quote:
Originally posted by jonathan:

quote:

You are right and I agree with you.About Reyes, he just used his name for a comparo in fiba games, just that.what if instead of Howard he use Dalembert (76er) since dalembert played a bigger role with Canada than Reyes did for P.R. ?

I think Dalembert would be a better comparison since he was key to team Canada. I would like to see a comparison between both.

Please all remember we are using the same logic we can use with any international player, like Manu, Parker, Nowitzki and all of them. You can't have the "valid" NBA comparison since he hasn't played in the NBA, and no international player can be discarded because of that.

Remember also that the thread was about giving him an opportunity to play in the camp. Nobody is saying he should go and start or something like that.

quote:
Originally posted by Freex:

quote:
Originally posted by jonathan:

quote:

I think Dalembert would be a better comparison since he was key to team Canada. I would like to see a comparison between both.

Please all remember we are using the same logic we can use with any international player, like Manu, Parker, Nowitzki and all of them. You can't have the "valid" NBA comparison since he hasn't played in the NBA, and no international player can be discarded because of that.

Remember also that the thread was about giving him an opportunity to play in the camp. Nobody is saying he should go and start or something like that.

You are right, no argument here.By the way here I brought the stats of both players with the rebounds first followed by offence:

Angelo Reyes vs Samuel dalembert :

mpg 25.7--------25.6

off 34----------18

orpg 3.4--------2.2

def 61----------57

drpg 6.1--------7.1

t/reb 95--------75

trpg 9.5--------9.4

rp40m.14.8------14.6

As we can see from those stats, reyes has a little edge over Dalembert on avery category and both of them played almost identical game time with 25.7 vs 25.6 That's a fair comparo in any book.

Now let see the offensive deparment...

Angelo Reyes vs Samuel Dalembert :

games 10-----vs-----8

ppg 10.2-----vs-----10.6

f/g .556-----vs-----.494

3p% .300-----vs-----.250

f/t .650-----vs-----.615

tpts 102-----vs-----85

Again we can see the same thing on offense,so I think there is not to much to debate.Unless...

And thinking about it,we have a win to win situation here...give him a try out.What can we loose ?

Ps. I didn't put the p/f stats cause I didn't find them.

I didn't really see much of Puerto Rico in the FIBA Americas, but the numbers look good. Doesn't hurt anyone to try and get him into training camp to look at him. I don't care if a player is black, white, brown, yellow, green or pink; as long as he can help the team! As for people crying about playing time, let 'em cry! What any of us say on a message board is not likely to make SVG change his rotation!

Too late for Orlando.

Reyes receives an invitation for the Milwaukee Bucks camps. The good performance on the FIBA tournament was the reason,for the first time in his career, to receive an invitation to the NBA Bucks camps.

Source: El Nuevo Dia (PR local Newspaper)

Invitaci

I was just reading the article, he already agreed or signed to go with the Bucks.....sucks.....if it was just an invite and not accepted then maybe Orlando could have still invited him...

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

I was just reading the article, he already agreed or signed to go with the Bucks.....sucks.....if it was just an invite and not accepted then maybe Orlando could have still invited him...

Something is not good with our scouting if they failed to see his performance at FIBA as not significant. Maybe one of our scouts is my friend Knappy; or that guy that said he was a stiff.LOL

quote:

These are Reyes's career stats in the PR Professional league:

http://www.bsnpr.com/jugadores/jugador.asp?id=151&e=

In 6 seasons (having played a total of 124 games) he's averaged 11.8 PPG, 7.9 RPG, 1.0 APG, on 66% FT Shooting, 54% Shooting, and 51% 3Pt Shooting.

This year's stats (2007) include (30 Games), 19.97 PPG, 11.9 RPG, 1.5 APG, 76% FT Shooting, 53% FG Shooting, and 28% 3 PT Shooting.

I think they're not bad stats for the PR league, the NBA is quite different, as is FIBA basketball.

But one stat is real...he averaged 9.5 RPG in Las Vegas, more than any other player in the entire tournament.

I think he'll do well in the NBA if given the chance by the Bucks, or any other team...he can definintely rebound, and has good outside range!

Much Love!

quote:
I think he'll do well in the NBA if given the chance by the Bucks, or any other team...he can definintely rebound, and has good outside range!

Much Love!

And that's the way to say it. He sounds intriguing and I'm sure the Bucks will play him, so we'll all get a good look at him.

And he has still room to grow at 24 years. His rebounding is much higher proportionally for his height and weight than most power forward with more height. His problem is that he is more like a small power forward in defense and more like a light forward in offense because of his good 3 pt range that the coach did not let him use it during the FIBA. So he really can become a good combo forward that can give him more minutes of playing time.