Sign in to follow this  
jack daniel 999

Bigs - Will It be enough ?

quote:
Originally posted by davcivic:

we could be better, we coul get better, but we are ok....we should have enough big bodies to fill the position and at worst, we should have plenty of fouls to bother the opponents.

This is accurate. It'd be ideal to replace Battie with, say, PJ Brown from ten years ago, but that's not happening. We have enough to go to war with, and enough to make up for Darko's departure. Good enough for now.

I think the key here is Gortat and Foyle getting the job done for Stan. I feel that as Gortat get used to the NBA game he will be getting some of the minutes at PF that Battie gets at the beginning of the season and he will see some C time to help out Foyle. Gortat has the outside shot and the fair offensive move with his back to the basket to add some points. Anyway who needs more biggies with Carlos (the saint)Arroyo in our team?LOL

For our sake, I certainly hope we have enough. I wouldn't mind having one more legit big, but in today's NBA, everyone seems to be playing small ball (with a very few notable exceptions). We should be alright for 75% of the time.

When we bounce against those bigger teams, we just have to hope we can outrun/gun them.

Angelo has never had a try at NBA and has the strenght to get rebounds as he proved against the good teams at FIBA and has the offesive power at the post and at the wings. He will be taken for minimum costs. Lets give him a try at camp before somebody gets him first.

Look at he stats in FIBA. #3 in rebounds and #4 in FG %, not bad.

http://www.2007lasvegas.fibaamericas.com/pages/eng/fe/0...tatisticsRoundID=ALL

REBOUNDS : ALL ROUNDS

Displaying results 1-25 of 25

RESULTS: 1-25

Player name (IOC) GP MPG OFF ORPG DEF DRPG REB RPG RP40M

1. Esteban BATISTA (URU) 8 35.5 35 4.4 64 8 99 12.4 13.9

2. Antonio GARCIA (PAN) 4 34.2 9 2.2 30 7.5 39 9.8 11.4

3. Angelo REYES (PUR) 10 25.7 34 3.4 61 6.1 95 9.5 14.8

4. Samuel DALEMBERT (CAN) 8 25.6 18 2.2 57 7.1 75 9.4 14.6

5. 'Tiago' SPLITTER (BRA) 10 25.7 31 3.1 49 4.9 80 8 12.5

6. Luis SCOLA (ARG) 10 29 18 1.8 57 5.7 75 7.5 10.3

7. Peter RAMOS (PUR) 10 24.6 25 2.5 46 4.6 71 7.1 11.5

8. Jaime LLOREDA (PAN) 4 33 8 2 19 4.8 27 6.8 8.2

9. 'N

I feel like we have more than enough. Not only do we have Howard Battie Augustine Gortat and Foyle, we also have Ariza or Turkoglu at times can also contribute minutes at the pf position as well. Were pretty deep now, actually were deep in every position. It might not be the players we want, but were still deep with versatile players that can play multiple positions. But i like Angelo Reyes. Im really impressed with that last game he had during the FIBA tourney, 15points 15rebs. Only question is can he perform like that in the NBA. But i would invite Angelo Reyes, Larry Ayuso, and Romel Beck to my training camp if i was Otis. I didnt really see a pg that stood out during that tourney.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

I feel like we have more than enough. Not only do we have Howard Battie Augustine Gortat and Foyle......

If only mentioning a string of names was enough. Let's look at these names a bit more closely.

Howard - Legit Star, close to superstar.

Battie - barely adequate last year, now a year older, has knee problems, but at least we know he can play in the NBA, if at a mediocre level. High likelihood for injury if over-used.

Augustine - No NBA experience, can not be counted upon, may never make it in NBA.

Gortat - Same as for Augustine, except is even a longer shot to make it in NBA.

Foyle - Had big contract bought out, so not in any financial jeapordy. Even older than Battie. Hardly played last year. At least he has legit NBA experience. Overall seems marginal.

Now when you put this all together, you have one very good to great player, two mediocre players, and two complete unknowns who may not be NBA material. To say this is "more than enough" is to be looking at our situation through a distorted prism, in my opinion. Objectively, we're weak at big, very weak.

what do we need from the bigs? That's the question to ask...

We need defense, I look at all of those names, and that's what we have pretty good defense.

Except for Gortat that as a rookie he will have to adjust. Augustine had some very very good NBDL games, that even if half of that translate to the NBA he would be a good role player.

We don't need scoring, we just need big bodies to defend, foul and grab a few rebounds....WE HAVE THAT...

The points will come from Lewis, Dwight, Nelson, Turk, JJ, Ariza, Arroyo, Dooling and probably just in that order too. If the other bigs can give you a TOTAL of 10-14 pts a night, we are set. That means we need Battie to score 5 or 6 pts, totally doable, and the other 3 guys to just score a bucket each, again totally doable....

Like I said, we can be better, we should look into it, but it will be ok..

I wouldn't mind seeing us making a trade to bring in another big (primarily a PF). Right now we have a lot of question marks, and that could be good or bad, depending on how the questions are answered. It would be nice to have more of a known quantity.

Augustine - had some good NBDL games; can he bring it to the next level?

Gortat - had some good summer league games; can he bring it to the next level?

Battie - okay defender, okay 12-15 foot shot, getting older; how is his health/knees, can he still play 20-25 mpg at the PF/C?

Garrity - was a good shooter, scrappy defender; but is he still after the surgeries, or have they robbed him of his legs?

Foyle - good inside defensive C; did sitting on the bench last year injure his psyche and/or his conditioning? Can he play SVG system, or will it be too up-tempo like GSW?

Howard - All-star calibre big man, can play PF or C.

quote:
Originally posted by JJZ:

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

I feel like we have more than enough. Not only do we have Howard Battie Augustine Gortat and Foyle......

If only mentioning a string of names was enough. Let's look at these names a bit more closely.

Howard - Legit Star, close to superstar.

Battie - barely adequate last year, now a year older, has knee problems, but at least we know he can play in the NBA, if at a mediocre level. High likelihood for injury if over-used.

Augustine - No NBA experience, can not be counted upon, may never make it in NBA.

Gortat - Same as for Augustine, except is even a longer shot to make it in NBA.

Foyle - Had big contract bought out, so not in any financial jeapordy. Even older than Battie. Hardly played last year. At least he has legit NBA experience. Overall seems marginal.

Now when you put this all together, you have one very good to great player, two mediocre players, and two complete unknowns who may not be NBA material. To say this is "more than enough" is to be looking at our situation through a distorted prism, in my opinion. Objectively, we're weak at big, very weak.

For as Gortat, after watching videos on him playing he really looks good. I mean he can shoot mid range jumpers, brings defense, moves well for a 7footer, and gets good positioning to grab boards. Hes not as raw as Howard but he has more all around offense then Howard and brings defense. He just might be the surprise of the league this season. He will definitely get a lot of minutes later in the season when Van Gundy gets comfortable with his game. But the Magic still can put Turk , Lewis or Ariza at pf as well. But Gortat has skills, just let him adjust to the NBA game first then you ll see. He will bring a game to the Magic that Darko has never brought.

Charisma, I didn't say Garrity was a good defender, I said he was scrappy. Did he get beat, yes. Did he back down, no. Any shortcomings Garrity had (has?) as a defender always seemed to be athletic, not effort driven. I didn't mind a good PF beating him inside, as long as he was putting a body on them, making them work for it, and maybe slowing them enough for (now) Dwight or AFoyle to get a step towards making a block. In your own words, can he make them pay with the mismatch on the other end? Pre-injury, he could often enough to create space inside for the other big(s).