Sign in to follow this  
~O~

Da NBA Legend In His Prime You Would Bring To Play For A Magic

For your consideration, I say once again, the only player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season - a 6'5", 210 lb. point guard (but more than capable of playing the "2") whose career numbers are below.

Here are the numbers Robertson put up in 1961-62, just his second year in the league: 30.8 points, 12.5 rebounds, and 11.4 assists per game-an average of a triple-double for an entire season. No one else in the league has come close to a triple-double average for a season.

Career Statistics

G FG% FT% Rebs RPG Asts APG Stls Blks Pts PPG

1040 .485 .838 7804 7.5 9887 9.5 77 4 26710 25.7

Oscar Robertson - the original "big" point guard. Try this lineup

PG - Nelson

SG - Robertson

SF - Lewis

PR - Battie

C - Howard

quote:
Originally posted by jmmagicfan:

For your consideration, I say once again, the only player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season - a 6'5", 210 lb. point guard (but more than capable of playing the "2") whose career numbers are below.

Here are the numbers Robertson put up in 1961-62, just his second year in the league: 30.8 points, 12.5 rebounds, and 11.4 assists per game-an average of a triple-double for an entire season. No one else in the league has come close to a triple-double average for a season.

Career Statistics

G FG% FT% Rebs RPG Asts APG Stls Blks Pts PPG

1040 .485 .838 7804 7.5 9887 9.5 77 4 26710 25.7

Oscar Robertson - the original "big" point guard. Try this lineup

PG - Nelson

SG - Robertson

SF - Lewis

PR - Battie

C - Howard

Do you think Robertson did that in a watered down era, or that his game would translate to the current game? Robertson was a big guy, I only know what I have read about him but I wonder if he would be the same guy in this era.

For me I would take Magic. The marketing angle would be huge (not that it really matters)!

Someone mentioned it before but Magic could and did play any position on the floor. He created easy pts, and could do so within the flow of the game.

The difference a great play maker makes is huge. Even more so than a great scorer in my opinion. Magic's vision turns bench guys into starters, with finisher's like Dwight and Trevor on the team it would be like a track meet. When the game slows down, what PG in the league is going to post up Magic? Or defend him on the block? It's a HUGE advantage.

I won't take anything away from Oscar, but those where different times. No doubt he would be great and if we just think about numbers, he probably is the best choice.

But if we are thinking about bringing those players to today's game, they would not be as good. The players are much better, defense is much better, etc, etc.

I think the "modern era" started with magic, bird, then jordan, drexler, malone, barkley....before those times, yes there where good players, but the game was just different after the late 80's...of course I'm only 26 so I never saw those older guys played, but I've seen film.

quote:
Originally posted by fan for too long:

quote:
Without Karl Malone, John Stockton is Mark Price.

Are you kidding me. Without John Stockton, Karl Malone is a red neck tractor trailor driver. Or Karl Who???

I'll take Stockton or Dr. J in his ABA days.

The answer to your question is "yes". I was kidding about the Mark Price comparison.

But I do think he was overrated.

Richnba, you said he made everyone around him better. Other than Malone and Hornacek, who exactly did he really make better?

And I lost count of the number of rings he has. How many were there?

If I wanted a player with no rings, I'd take Sir Charles over Stockton every day of the week (but I would take Stockton over Ewing).

Magic or Russell. Come on, folks: Bill had 11 (that's ELEVEN - I DID NOT HIT ONE TWICE ON ACCIDENT) championships.

That happened when Wilt Chamberlain was not only roaming the court, but roaming the court in the same position as Bill.

Oh, and Magic was pretty good, too.

The "modern " era started with Dr. Julius Irving. After him and all his creative moves the new players forgot about defense and the era of showboating started. Everybody wanted to be him with only MJ being his best copy and that only because he was league protected. Those 2 years that he spend "retired" playing baseball were just a covered santion for his gambling.The NBA ratings were the lowest in history when he was not playing that they call him back a little earlier. Magic Johnson, the best palyer ever...

quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire:

The "modern " era started with Dr. Julius Irving. After him and all his creative moves the new players forgot about defense and the era of showboating started. Everybody wanted to be him with only MJ being his best copy and that only because he was league protected. Those 2 years that he spend "retired" playing baseball were just a covered santion for his gambling.The NBA ratings were the lowest in history when he was not playing that they call him back a little earlier. Magic Johnson, the best player ever...

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:
Originally posted by fan for too long:

quote:
Without Karl Malone, John Stockton is Mark Price.

Are you kidding me. Without John Stockton, Karl Malone is a red neck tractor trailor driver. Or Karl Who???

I'll take Stockton or Dr. J in his ABA days.

The answer to your question is "yes". I was kidding about the Mark Price comparison.

But I do think he was overrated.

Richnba, you said he made everyone around him better. Other than Malone and Hornacek, who exactly did he really make better?

And I lost count of the number of rings he has. How many were there?

If I wanted a player with no rings, I'd take Sir Charles over Stockton every day of the week (but I would take Stockton over Ewing).

So his NBA leading assists record, his nba leading steals record, make his an overrated player, by god I would love to see what a average player is to you. What I meant was also , he made everyone look good, he didnt pass to Malone for 48 minutes a game.