Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Would the Lakers Trade Rosters with the Magic?

23 members have voted

1. 1. Hypothetical question: Would the Lakers, with their overpaid vets and Dwightmare, trade rosters with the Magic, with their young guns and draft possibilities over the next two summers?

• Yes, the Lakers would trade rosters, as the Magic are in a better spot as a franchise
    • No, the Lakers would not trade rosters, as the Magic are not in a better spot as a franchise

Not sure how Stern can play puppet master for a franchise he doesn't own, manage, or operate? Also, like I mentioned before, I don't think the idea of playing with Dwight Howard really appeals to that many superstars anymore, especially considering he hasn't won jack **** and seems like a terrible teammate.

Did anyone else love to see him get ejected for jawing at the refs? Loved that.

I mean, he was a force of nature when he was in ORL, but every time he got a tech, I'd shake my head. He's a great player, but not a real smart one. After this season, no matter what Dwight does from here, letting him get his way and walk was a good move for this franchise.

The Lakers are the Lakers: 1) players will play there for less because it's the Lakers, 2) David Stern knows the Lakers are a cash cow with a HISTORY, and would make sure they got whatever they needed to stay elite.

He vetoed the Chris Paul trade, and he doesn't seem to have a Lakers bias. If he did he would have let the Paul trade go through.

Not sure how Stern can play puppet master for a franchise he doesn't own, manage, or operate? Also, like I mentioned before, I don't think the idea of playing with Dwight Howard really appeals to that many superstars anymore, especially considering he hasn't won jack **** and seems like a terrible teammate.

Dwight could still be a good cornerstone in a team as long as he is under the right coach. I couldn't see him doing what he has done under SVG and D'Antoni under a head coach like Phil Jackson, Pat Riley or Greg Popovich. Those three head coaches wouldn't let him get away with it, they are not pushovers.

Even with his issues I don't see any shortage of teams wanting a guy like him. The Mavs will push hard to grab him to pair alongside an ageing but still effective Dirk; or the Rockets might be interested in putting him that team to help them improve defensively. He might be a lousy team mate, but when he's in the right situation he can still be a dominant player in the NBA. He just needs the right head coach to handle him, and motivate him to get the best out of him.

He vetoed the Chris Paul trade, and he doesn't seem to have a Lakers bias. If he did he would have let the Paul trade go through.

Dwight could still be a good cornerstone in a team as long as he is under the right coach. I couldn't see him doing what he has done under SVG and D'Antoni under a head coach like Phil Jackson, Pat Riley or Greg Popovich. Those three head coaches wouldn't let him get away with it, they are not pushovers.

Even with his issues I don't see any shortage of teams wanting a guy like him. The Mavs will push hard to grab him to pair alongside an ageing but still effective Dirk; or the Rockets might be interested in putting him that team to help them improve defensively. He might be a lousy team mate, but when he's in the right situation he can still be a dominant player in the NBA. He just needs the right head coach to handle him, and motivate him to get the best out of him.

Couple of things. SVG is no pushover and don't make excuses for Dwight and blame everything on him not having the right coach...leave that for him to do. The point isn't would other teams want him, or is he or is he not a cornerstone piece. The point is would a guy like Lebron leave Miami to go play with Dwight, knowing his shortcomings as a player and a teammate? I don't think he would.

Couple of things. SVG is no pushover and don't make excuses for Dwight and blame everything on him not having the right coach...leave that for him to do. The point isn't would other teams want him, or is he or is he not a cornerstone piece. The point is would a guy like Lebron leave Miami to go play with Dwight, knowing his shortcomings as a player and a teammate? I don't think he would.

SVG might not be a pushover, but he still let things get out of hand, though he was to some degree isolated during the Dwight saga. My point was that under a great head coach, they would potentially be able to get more out of him, and generally those type of guys don't have players quit on them. So it was more aimed at D'Antoni than SVG.

As for LeBron, he might be tempted to go to the Lakers. The one thing that was questioned in Miami was how will LeBron work with Wade. Wade was used to everything revolving around him, and then suddenly in comes LeBron who is used to everything revolving around him. They found a way to work together, and while they are significantly different characters to Dwight, I think in the right environment LeBron and Dwight could find a way to work together. But I see your point and agree with it to an extent, but ultimately money does a lot of talking in this league and if the Lakers offers LeBron the most money to go and pair with Dwight, then he may well end up being on the same team because LeBron might pursue the most money in his next contract now that he has got his ring.

That said, Dwight is a very talent player, and for him to have the shortcomings he does is sad.

SVG might not be a pushover, but he still let things get out of hand, though he was to some degree isolated during the Dwight saga. My point was that under a great head coach, they would potentially be able to get more out of him, and generally those type of guys don't have players quit on them. So it was more aimed at D'Antoni than SVG.

As for LeBron, he might be tempted to go to the Lakers. The one thing that was questioned in Miami was how will LeBron work with Wade. Wade was used to everything revolving around him, and then suddenly in comes LeBron who is used to everything revolving around him. They found a way to work together, and while they are significantly different characters to Dwight, I think in the right environment LeBron and Dwight could find a way to work together. But I see your point and agree with it to an extent, but ultimately money does a lot of talking in this league and if the Lakers offers LeBron the most money to go and pair with Dwight, then he may well end up being on the same team because LeBron might pursue the most money in his next contract now that he has got his ring.

That said, Dwight is a very talent player, and for him to have the shortcomings he does is sad.

The Lakers wont be able to offer Lebron more than Miami, because of the new CBA and the fact Mia has his bird rights

I suppose it comes down to what you'd rather have. A team like ours that is in development and might take a good few years before it becomes truly competitive. Or a team like the Lakers which will have (potentially) a lot of cap space available to them to bring in a 'big three' to lead them into the future. As it stands I can't make a judgement on which would be best, because our situation depends on our current players developing, our future draft picks developing, and moves in free agency. Whereas theirs is dependant on them grabbing a few stars and moulding them into a unit like the Celtics and Heat did. Both have their risks, and both have their rewards. I look forward to seeing what route the Lakers take, though I suspect they'll try to land a few stars in 2014 free agency.

Really good post by Mike(I only reposted part of it).

I think there is a lot of assuming going on (not by Mike but by lots of other posters in this thread) that in 2-3 years, players like Vuk and Harris and Harkless are going to be strong pieces of a very good team. I would like to think that will happen, but it's by no means certain. Just having lots of young players does not mean that in 2-3 years, when they are veterans, that they will become playoff material.

That's why I don't think the Lakers would trade with us. We might be really good in a few years IF our players develop well. Or we might continue to be terrible for a very long time if that doesn't work out. Too much of a risk.

Really good post by Mike(I only reposted part of it).

I think there is a lot of assuming going on (not by Mike but by lots of other posters in this thread) that in 2-3 years, players like Vuk and Harris and Harkless are going to be strong pieces of a very good team. I would like to think that will happen, but it's by no means certain. Just having lots of young players does not mean that in 2-3 years, when they are veterans, that they will become playoff material.

That's why I don't think the Lakers would trade with us. We might be really good in a few years IF our players develop well. Or we might continue to be terrible for a very long time if that doesn't work out. Too much of a risk.

A lot of the young players we have are producing. Harris is close to a stud already; with limited time in our system. Nick is a stud. Nick was second in rebounding and he broke the magic single game record. he was top 5 in double doubles last season. If he does nothing else but this I would take it and he would be a stud.

I will say harkless showed flashes and only had a few good defensive games. His offense is coming faster than his defense.

If you count the 1st round draft pick we will add this year and two we will add next year, plus our money next year. I can see us pushing in the playoffs in 2015 or 2016. It matters how our players develop, but llook at the thunder, the grizzle, and the pacers.

I would be shocked if we did not have a good team in 2016.

A lot of the young players we have are producing. Harris is close to a stud already; with limited time in our system. Nick is a stud. Nick was second in rebounding and he broke the magic single game record. he was top 5 in double doubles last season. If he does nothing else but this I would take it and he would be a stud.

I will say harkless showed flashes and only had a few good defensive games. His offense is coming faster than his defense.

If you count the 1st round draft pick we will add this year and two we will add next year, plus our money next year. I can see us pushing in the playoffs in 2015 or 2016. It matters how our players develop, but llook at the thunder, the grizzle, and the pacers.

I hope you're right but I'd say it's less than a 50-50 proposition.

For me:

- 2013-14, tank for a top pick.

- 2014-15, 30 to 40 win season.

- 2015-16, .500 or better season.

I think that is a realistic time frame even if we don't land a star in free agency, but it is dependent on our picks turning into very good NBA players. If our picks work out it is realistic, if they take time (or don't work out), then we could see something like:

- 2014-15, up to 30 wins.

- 2015-16, early 30s.

- 2016-17, mid to late 30s.

- 2017-18, .500 or better.

I'd rather we see a quick turnaround, but there are teams that draft talent and take a few years or more to come into place or don't at all. So I am optimistic that we'll have a good team for the 2015/16 season and return to the play offs. But I wouldn't be surprised if we were still building at that point.

• Upvote 1

For me:

- 2014-15, 30 to 40 win season.

- 2015-16, .500 or better season.

I think that is a realistic time frame even if we don't land a star in free agency, but it is dependent on our picks turning into very good NBA players. If our picks work out it is realistic, if they take time (or don't work out), then we could see something like:

- 2014-15, up to 30 wins.

- 2015-16, early 30s.

- 2016-17, mid to late 30s.

- 2017-18, .500 or better.

I'd rather we see a quick turnaround, but there are teams that draft talent and take a few years or more to come into place or don't at all. So I am optimistic that we'll have a good team for the 2015/16 season and return to the play offs. But I wouldn't be surprised if we were still building at that point.

Us bring in talent and picks for howard put us ahead of the curve. Harris and Nick have shown they can be big factors for our future.

Look, I sure hope we all have learned over these recent years that Lebron is actually not the toolbag he made himself out to be with the whole 'televised leaving Cleveland for Miami debacle'. He has proven that he is a true, bonafide superstar who can lead a team (like Jordan) to success.

Who here doesn't believe he can win a 'ship this year w/o DWade? Lebron's game has evolved so much since the debacle that I believe wherever he goes he will continue to win trophies. I see him winning at least 5-7 before all is said and done.

With that said, Dwight Howard couldn't even hold LBJ's sweaty ass jocky strap. In 09, I cannot WITH A SERIOUS FACE say that D12 'led' us to the Fiinals that year unlike, we all can agree, the way LBJ did in 07 with Cleveland.

Howard, while immensely talented, is no leader. Furthermore, his offensive game is too damn suspect to ever lead a team on his own. Yeah, his D is phenomenal, his O is not (by a long shot). Intangible-wise, the guy is completely lacking. He has proven time and time again to be a headcase.

So, the only way I see D-bag Howard winning a 'ship is when he is like 40 and is on the bench of a star-laden team (<cough> KMalone <cough>).

My $0.02.