Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Would the Lakers Trade Rosters with the Magic?

23 members have voted

1. 1. Hypothetical question: Would the Lakers, with their overpaid vets and Dwightmare, trade rosters with the Magic, with their young guns and draft possibilities over the next two summers?

• Yes, the Lakers would trade rosters, as the Magic are in a better spot as a franchise
    • No, the Lakers would not trade rosters, as the Magic are not in a better spot as a franchise

I certainly think we have a bright future but there isn't any chance the Lakers would trade their roster for ours. The Lakers don't want to rebuild and they're never going to need to because they're the Lakers, they'll always attract the free agents to keep them in the playoff hunt and with Pau and Kobe both expiring at the end of next year there's every chance they'll work some seriously one sided trade for Kevin Love or somebody. Plus it would be a crime against basketball for the Lakers to trade Kobe Bryant.

We do have a talented roster, and the Lakers might be tempted to swap their team for it. I believe that in Vuc we have a future all star center, and in Harkless and Harris we have two immensely talented forwards. We do have some really talented back up players. But this team is still far away from being a legitimate contender for the play offs, let alone an NBA title. But if we have a good 2013 and 2014 draft, and also a good free agency in 2014, then we could become a play off contender, and in the years to come, a title contender. So we are in an excellent position talent wise, and cap wise.

That said, the Lakers aren't in a bad position cap wise. This off season Howard, Jamison and Clark are out of contract. Then in 2014 Gasol, Kobe, World Peace, Blake, Duhon and Hill are all out of contract. So if none of them are retained, then they will have a LOT of cap space available to them in 2014, and potentially there are some big names available in 2014 like LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, John Wall, Kyrie Irving and some other borderline all star players as well. So by the 2014 off season they could be in a good position cap wise to make a run at a couple of star players, and build a supporting cast for them.

I suppose it comes down to what you'd rather have. A team like ours that is in development and might take a good few years before it becomes truly competitive. Or a team like the Lakers which will have (potentially) a lot of cap space available to them to bring in a 'big three' to lead them into the future. As it stands I can't make a judgement on which would be best, because our situation depends on our current players developing, our future draft picks developing, and moves in free agency. Whereas theirs is dependant on them grabbing a few stars and moulding them into a unit like the Celtics and Heat did. Both have their risks, and both have their rewards. I look forward to seeing what route the Lakers take, though I suspect they'll try to land a few stars in 2014 free agency.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, LA will have bottomless cap space. Especially if Dwight doesn't return. Big market and the league loves them and what not.

Cap space is cap space...makes no difference whether they're a big market or the "league loves them". You either have it or you don't.

We do have a talented roster, and the Lakers might be tempted to swap their team for it. I believe that in Vuc we have a future all star center, and in Harkless and Harris we have two immensely talented forwards. We do have some really talented back up players. But this team is still far away from being a legitimate contender for the play offs, let alone an NBA title. But if we have a good 2013 and 2014 draft, and also a good free agency in 2014, then we could become a play off contender, and in the years to come, a title contender. So we are in an excellent position talent wise, and cap wise.

That said, the Lakers aren't in a bad position cap wise. This off season Howard, Jamison and Clark are out of contract. Then in 2014 Gasol, Kobe, World Peace, Blake, Duhon and Hill are all out of contract. So if none of them are retained, then they will have a LOT of cap space available to them in 2014, and potentially there are some big names available in 2014 like LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, John Wall, Kyrie Irving and some other borderline all star players as well. So by the 2014 off season they could be in a good position cap wise to make a run at a couple of star players, and build a supporting cast for them.

I suppose it comes down to what you'd rather have. A team like ours that is in development and might take a good few years before it becomes truly competitive. Or a team like the Lakers which will have (potentially) a lot of cap space available to them to bring in a 'big three' to lead them into the future. As it stands I can't make a judgement on which would be best, because our situation depends on our current players developing, our future draft picks developing, and moves in free agency. Whereas theirs is dependant on them grabbing a few stars and moulding them into a unit like the Celtics and Heat did. Both have their risks, and both have their rewards. I look forward to seeing what route the Lakers take, though I suspect they'll try to land a few stars in 2014 free agency.

At some point you have to wonder if other stars are going to want to play with Dwight. I mean that in all seriousness. I think his peers are aware that his shortcomings as basketball player aren't going away anytime soon and his reputation off the court has been severely tarnished. If you're Lebron do you really want to go play with a guy that's going to demand the ball, whine when he doesn't get, and more often than not fail to deliver when he does? I think Lebron is smarter than that personally.

I agree. A long time ago Horace Grant left a championship team and came to Orlando to play alongside O'Neal and several other very talented players. How many tried to come to Orlando to play alongside Howard? Is it possible they knew a bit more about him than the rest of us did, and said "no thanks"?

At some point you have to wonder if other stars are going to want to play with Dwight. I mean that in all seriousness. I think his peers are aware that his shortcomings as basketball player aren't going away anytime soon and his reputation off the court has been severely tarnished. If you're Lebron do you really want to go play with a guy that's going to demand the ball, whine when he doesn't get, and more often than not fail to deliver when he does? I think Lebron is smarter than that personally.

I agree. A long time ago Horace Grant left a championship team and came to Orlando to play alongside O'Neal and several other very talented players. How many tried to come to Orlando to play alongside Howard? Is it possible they knew a bit more about him than the rest of us did, and said "no thanks"?

To be fair, Horace left after Jordan retired between three peats...the Bulls weren't exactly contenders during that time, but I get what you're saying. We were a little handcuffed by Rashard Lewis' contract so I don't think we were ever in a great position to add superstar talent, but I believe there was a time when guys would have loved playing with Dwight. Early in his career he was an all-world defender, understood and accepted his role to a great extent, and seemed to have good relationships with his teammates. Obviously that time has passed and honestly I can't remember a guy going from basically being considered the next best thing to Lebron, in terms of a guy you'd want to build your franchise around, to where Dwight is now. It's kind of hard to believe and a little sad to see a guy almost single handedly cause his own self-destruction, especially from an image standpoint.

has anyone seen any tweets from Kobe supporting D. Coward, or in any way excusing him for his inexcusable conduct after he quit on the Fakers the other day? on the other hand, ESPN publish Kobe's tweet supporting Jason Collins coming out ... so did Dwayne Wade and Shaquille ... so far, what Coward has showed is that when the proverbial going gets tough, he'll just let you hanging with your pants down and your junk in your hands ... who would want to have him for a teammate?

has anyone seen any tweets from Kobe supporting D. Coward, or in any way excusing him for his inexcusable conduct after he quit on the Fakers the other day? on the other hand, ESPN publish Kobe's tweet supporting Jason Collins coming out ... so did Dwayne Wade and Shaquille ... so far, what Coward has showed is that when the proverbial going gets tough, he'll just let you hanging with your pants down and your junk in your hands ... who would want to have him for a teammate?

Exactly

The Lakers are the Lakers: 1) players will play there for less because it's the Lakers, 2) David Stern knows the Lakers are a cash cow with a HISTORY, and would make sure they got whatever they needed to stay elite.

2) David Stern knows the Lakers are a cash cow with a HISTORY, and would make sure they got whatever they needed to stay elite.

Except give them Chris Paul.

The Lakers are the Lakers: 1) players will play there for less because it's the Lakers, 2) David Stern knows the Lakers are a cash cow with a HISTORY, and would make sure they got whatever they needed to stay elite.

Not sure how Stern can play puppet master for a franchise he doesn't own, manage, or operate? Also, like I mentioned before, I don't think the idea of playing with Dwight Howard really appeals to that many superstars anymore, especially considering he hasn't won jack **** and seems like a terrible teammate.