Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

With Grant gone and a new roster, who will be our leader this coming season?

Oh yea Lewis might step up big. But honestly I have this feeling Lewis is going to have a breakout year. He averaged 22.4 ppg with the sonics, but with Dwight Howard theres no question his ppg average will go up. So I see him being a allstar this season. he just might average between 24-27 ppg or maybe more. He just have to get to the line more cause hes a great freethrow shooter. Hes going to bring leadership. I want Lewis, Howard and Nelson to bring leadership to our team. Dont have to be just 1 guy.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:
Originally posted by ibonedteribell:

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Dwight and Nelson... Its time to grow up and lead this team. Nelson already proved he at least has the right idea with bringing the team to Philly, now all he needs to do is prove it on the court.

WP,This is leadership and not PR stunts. The leader should have a significant impact on the game, like Howard or Lewis could have, but not MR. "All eyes on me".

Mr. "All eyes on me"? Who's that?

you know who that is wp, meer! let's dredge up the meer vs. los yet again

I believe that battie could be a good leader or Pat Garrity( knappy, I'm joking), I agree that it is time to Howard to take that responsability after all he is our franchise player.

nelson should and looks like he will be the leader next year. hes taken the initiative and had everyone in philly 2 years in a row. hes also one of, if not the oldest of the young core the magic are building around. plus as the starting point he has to take on at least some sort of leadership role. i think he takes the next step this year and becomes the team's leader. as far as a veteran leader, tony battie has, to me, always had that role- a veteran who offers stability and order in tight situations.

It would be nice if it were Dwight but the only one that seems to want to be the leader is Jameer. If he doesn't improve a whole lot then we really don't have one. I could see JJ taking that role if he can improve enough to stay on the floor also.

The good news is, we really haven't had one since Darrell left so it won't be that different. I know every writer and broadcaster likes to dub Grant as a leader but think about this. He was here for a 19 game losing streak, he was here for players quiting on the team, he was here for Francis not going back in then pouting about it. He was here and playing big mins when the team stopped giving effort and quit on Hill. He was here for a 3-1 playoff collapse to Detroit. He was here for a sweep by Detroit last season. He also was around in Detroit for that team to go no where in the playoffs so I'm curious, what exactly has he lead?

If his teammates don't play hard, or fight through adversity with him around are his leadership skills worth anything?

I'm sure Grant is a classy guy, I'm sure he is a nice guy, but honestly he just left us high and dry after we stood by him through lots of bad times and I never saw any sort of impact other than from a few games. We've needed a leader for a very long time.

To be honest it is very hard for me to pick someone to be a leader, the closer oner is Jameer but he needs to be a leader in the court not out the court.

I'm Sorry guys, but I don't see Dwight or Jameer being a leader on our team EVER!

Neither of those two guys ever get fired up enough when the ship is going down. I have never seen them with that serious look in their eyes when they are sitting on the bench. I think that Dwight and Jameer will not shed that "kid" inside of them for a long time.

I have never seen Dwight or Jameer in another players ear during a timeout the way I have seen players on other teams do it--(I don't mean that they should shout at a teammate, but point out some things or give words of encouragement).

You all may laugh at this, and I don't know if Bo Outlaw is still on the team, but I believe he could become the team's leader. I have always noticed Bo on the sideline standing and cheering the team on. He has been that way since his first stint with the Magic.

quote:
Originally posted by TrueMagicFan07:

I'm Sorry guys, but I don't see Dwight or Jameer being a leader on our team EVER!

Neither of those two guys ever get fired up enough when the ship is going down. I have never seen them with that serious look in their eyes when they are sitting on the bench. I think that Dwight and Jameer will not shed that "kid" inside of them for a long time.

I have never seen Dwight or Jameer in another players ear during a timeout the way I have seen players on other teams do it--(I don't mean that they should shout at a teammate, but point out some things or give words of encouragement).

You all may laugh at this, and I don't know if Bo Outlaw is still on the team, but I believe he could become the team's leader. I have always noticed Bo on the sideline standing and cheering the team on. He has been that way since his first stint with the Magic.

H*** Naww Bo need to sit down somewhere.

quote:
Originally posted by Rob:

quote:
Originally posted by TrueMagicFan07:

H*** Naww Bo need to sit down somewhere.

I thought we were talking about a "team leader"--not a "go to guy". A team leader does not have to be out on the court playing major minutes.

Maybe someone needs to define or explain to me what a team leader's role is on a basketball team.