Sign in to follow this  
Azure

Working out with Dwight...NBA Blog

LoL, this is awesome.

I remember rowing crew in high school and I'd always get po'ed at other schools that would train and practice harder and then our coach would in turn train and practice us harder too. It's a vicious cycle.

But removed from my high school crew experience (lol), this is exactly the kind of work ethic that must absolutely horrify other NBA big men. In a few years time, Howard might be the new standard for big men in the NBA.

This is not a criticism in any way of Dwight, but I would have been more impressed if the article had said that he was in the gym practicing a 1,000 free throws.

His athleticism is unquestioned. It's his basketball skills that need the most work.

Still, it is always encouraging to see your best player working so hard.

I agree with Mr. Charisma. We already knew he was a gym rat in the strength training department. One doesn't get that strong that fast unless they are in the gym constantly or are named Barry Bonds. Having said that, I think he is as strong as he needs to be and would prefer that he work on his offensive game and footwork. His offensive moves still don't seem fluid enough and that will only come with repeated work on the court. Still, I love his dedication.

This will rub a lot of folks the wrong way (like I don't usually do that already), but I really believe that the Team USA thing over the last 2 summers has drastically hindered his development.

He is being asked by that team to do the things he already knows how to do: block shots and rebound. So that is what he continues to do.

He would be much better off working on the parts of his game that he is currently weak in, not repetitively doing the things he already does well.

I don't blame him for wanting to be on that team. I am only saying that it is delaying his development.

There was no significant improvement in him as a player last year as compared to the previous year.

From what I've seen of him in the tournament this year, I still see no significant change or improvement to his game from last year.

As a Magic fan, I find this frustrating.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

This will rub a lot of folks the wrong way (like I don't usually do that already), but I really believe that the Team USA thing over the last 2 summers has drastically hindered his development.

He is being asked by that team to do the things he already knows how to do: block shots and rebound. So that is what he continues to do.

He would be much better off working on the parts of his game that he is currently weak in, not repetitively doing the things he already does well.

I don't blame him for wanting to be on that team. I am only saying that it is delaying his development.

There was no significant improvement in him as a player last year as compared to the previous year.

From what I've seen of him in the tournament this year, I still see no significant change or improvement to his game from last year.

Mr Charisma, who is to say that he did not work on the other part of his game the rest of the off season? Maybe he knows what the USA team asks of him and has already worked on his offensive game in the off-season....

quote:
Originally posted by vic110:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Mr Charisma, who is to say that he did not work on the other part of his game the rest of the off season? Maybe he knows what the USA team asks of him and has already worked on his offensive game in the off-season....

If so, you'd think we'd see at least a hint of it in the tournament.

Hey; he's young and he's going to get better. I know I'm expressing impatience. I just want him to progress as quickly as possible, for both himself and the Magic.

I personally couldn't care less about team in the FIBA tournament.

Don't get me wrong. I hope USA wins, but I'd rather see the Magic be true championship contenders.

Well if he puts the same effort in improving his game, then he'd be virtually unstoppable(He already is in 1 on 1).

I'm hoping he learns the short 5-10 feet jumper Ewing had in his prime.

Dwight has come a long way from the kid that was getting pushed around by Diop during summer league in '04.