Sign in to follow this  
Mr Charisma

Open Letter to Orlando Magic ownership/management

As some of you know, I have been one of those that have been mostly supportive of the Magic in this off-season of controversy. But I guess everyone has a breaking point.

Dear Orlando Magic ownership/management:

As we have passed through an off-season unlike any other, I find it amazingly cold and calculating how you have manipulated the fans and the community into getting every little dime you can.

1) Get City approval for the venues. You did nothing until this was done.

2) Fire Brian Hill (good !!), and replace him with a big name (Billy D.). Okay, this should seal the deal for the new arena !!!

3) Recover from being Gator'd by hiring SVG. Oops, got your propaganda machine crushed, but made a solid recovery.

4) Spend many dollars on Rashard Lewis. Got the player we wanted, and made a showing of a financial committment of trying to win here.

5) Get the County approval for the venues. Wow !! Finally !! The revenue road is now paved for decades to come.

6) Time for a TV deal. Well, you've already got what you wanted from the fan base in pushing for the venue approval, so you're done with the fans. They want to watch the Magic road games? Not your problem. You'll just sell to the highest bidder regardless of the impact to the vast majority of your fan base.

Did you ever even once consider adding a contingency to the deal that FSN and Bright House have to work out their differences? I seriously doubt it because you don't care. It's a money-maker and, quite frankly, you couldn't care less if anyone watches !!

I have really, really wanted to believe that Magic ownership is trying to build something special here for us, and that the signing of Rashard was the first of many moves in the off-season.

Now I'm beginning to believe that there is nothing else you really care about. You've got your venues. You've got your TV money. You've got another 'star' player to advertise.

I'm now believing those that state that you are done dealing for this off-season, except for some cursory moves to balance the roster.

You've padded your pockets to the max, using the fans as your walking stick.

Thanks.

I guess....

As some of you know, I have been one of those that have been mostly supportive of the Magic in this off-season of controversy. But I guess everyone has a breaking point.

Dear Orlando Magic ownership/management:

As we have passed through an off-season unlike any other, I find it amazingly cold and calculating how you have manipulated the fans and the community into getting every little dime you can.

1) Get City approval for the venues. You did nothing until this was done.

2) Fire Brian Hill (good !!), and replace him with a big name (Billy D.). Okay, this should seal the deal for the new arena !!!

3) Recover from being Gator'd by hiring SVG. Oops, got your propaganda machine crushed, but made a solid recovery.

4) Spend many dollars on Rashard Lewis. Got the player we wanted, and made a showing of a financial committment of trying to win here.

5) Get the County approval for the venues. Wow !! Finally !! The revenue road is now paved for decades to come.

6) Time for a TV deal. Well, you've already got what you wanted from the fan base in pushing for the venue approval, so you're done with the fans. They want to watch the Magic road games? Not your problem. You'll just sell to the highest bidder regardless of the impact to the vast majority of your fan base.

Did you ever even once consider adding a contingency to the deal that FSN and Bright House have to work out their differences? I seriously doubt it because you don't care. It's a money-maker and, quite frankly, you couldn't care less if anyone watches !!

I have really, really wanted to believe that Magic ownership is trying to build something special here for us, and that the signing of Rashard was the first of many moves in the off-season.

Now I'm beginning to believe that there is nothing else you really care about. You've got your venues. You've got your TV money. You've got another 'star' player to advertise.

I'm now believing those that state that you are done dealing for this off-season, except for some cursory moves to balance the roster.

You've padded your pockets to the max, using the fans as your walking stick.

Thanks.

I guess....

Very well written Mr. Charisma. I echo your sentiments on adding to the roster. I'm worried that they're finished also. Hopefully we're both wrong.

On the TV deal, just happy I've got DirecTV and it's not a problem for me.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Very well written Mr. Charisma. I echo your sentiments on adding to the roster. I'm worried that they're finished also. Hopefully we're both wrong.

On the TV deal, just happy I've got DirecTV and it's not a problem for me.

It just seems to me that during this whole off-season, the focus of this franchise has been solely on the finances. Its starting to look like the signing of Rashard so quickly was to get the obligatory basketball move out of the way so that they can re-focus on what is important to them: their bank accounts.

I understand that this is intended to be a profit-making venture, and I hope that they DO turn a profit.

But from a "user" perspective, their "Customer Service" recently has been abyssmal.

I think we are all on our last nerves recently. It has been DEAD. There is no news, no new talks of anything. All we are left to do is speculate our next move. The waiting game is not fun anymore. We need something. Sign Slava Medvedenko for all I care. Just do something.

I think we need a glimmer of hope at this point. The morale for Magic fans is definitly at a low point.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Sign Slava Medvedenko for all I care. Just do something.

Jeez. Another Slava Medvedenko thread. Can't we discuss anything else??

The television deal is devastating for me. Once, I had direct tv but because of charges, we got rid of it. Sucks for me.

First post, long time reader, well written letter with good points. I'm starting to feel like Otis is way over his head. Where's the hype machine, the venues have been approved, the best of class free agent signed, yet the slatinel has been days if not non-existant in the media other than to slam Otis and the oganization for overpaying for Lewis. Im not a blind supporter and there are obviously still holes(gaping) to fill but the team has made enough progress to warrent some positive coverage. Maybe no news is good news??? doubt it though.

quote:
Originally posted by Orl Native:

First post, long time reader, well written letter with good points. I'm starting to feel like Otis is way over his head. Where's the hype machine, the venues have been approved, the best of class free agent signed, yet the slatinel has been days if not non-existant in the media other than to slam Otis and the oganization for overpaying for Lewis. Im not a blind supporter and there are obviously still holes(gaping) to fill but the team has made enough progress to warrent some positive coverage. Maybe no news is good news??? doubt it though.

I'm guessing with NFL training camps opening and College Football getting ready to start up they have turned their attention back to football. Basketball only seems to get major press here when football season is over.

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

Bright house wouldnt do this ot us would they, they love there customers.

Bright House hasn't done anything to us. They carried the networks that the Magic were being televised on.

The Magic made a conscious decision to sign a TV deal with a company that is not, for the most part, available to the vast majority of its fan base.

Bright House and FSN will hopefully resolve their silly dispute, but it's the Magic that have put their fans in this position, and no one else.