Sign in to follow this  
otis_smith

Would you mortgage our future for Kobe?

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Kobe is a pipe dream unless you want to give up Dwight.

I realize that. I just threw these things out there cause it was interesting to talk about.

I get the feeling Otis ain't gonna do anything anyway till the season starts even though I think he should.

It's gonna get boring around here now.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

Kobe is a pipe dream unless you want to give up Dwight.

I realize that. I just threw these things out there cause it was interesting to talk about.

I get the feeling Otis ain't gonna do anything anyway till the season starts even though I think he should.

It's gonna get boring around here now.

The FIBA tourney will at least kill a couple weeks of the offseason. Unless Otis pulls a miracle and gets Fran over, I don't see much going on other signing an over the hill insurance big man.

quote:

We trade Rashard /Redick/a future 1st round pick (and an expiring or two if they require it) for Kobe.

i think the only way the lakers would take lewis' contract is if they also get dwight and lebron in that trade lol. sorry, but unless lewis becomes MVP, top scorer and DOY or until his contract becomes an expiring deal he's pretty much UNTRADEABLE.

Somebody's gonna get Kobe. Bucher's swears that's what Kobe told him.

It'll be real interesting to see where he ends up.

Possibly another Eastern team making a "big" splash, cough, cough "The Bulls".

If that happens it will just put us further down the ladder.

quote:
I'm kind of getting sick of some of the panzy azz comments being made on these boards.

"We don't want a player with character issues."

"We don't want to send a bad message."

"We want to keep our squaeky clean image and hire only choir boy ball players."

Give that crap a rest. Sometimes you need a player or two with an aggressive edge to them. You need a guy to go out and do the dirty work with a sinister snear. You need to be able to intimidate people to win basketball games.

Yea, I agree. Those are the same type of comments that came up a couple months back in a vicious thread about Kobe.

But we'll never get him. One, he won't play in a small market, and two, Otis couldn't handle pulling off such a mega deal.

Besides we already have our 120 Million dollar player, he just didn't make the all-star game last year.

Pretty sure the Lakers would only trade Kobe to the East. The Lakers have to realize that having an angry Kobe on their bench who doesn't want to play for them is far less useful than a lesser player who does - they'll trade him and they likely won't get fair value for him, either.

As for us getting him, I personally hate the guy, but he can flat-out play the game, so yeah: I'd pull the trigger. I don't think the Lakers would take Lewis, and I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed to trade him, anyways.

We'd likely have to cough up JJ, Hedo, Fran's rights, and probably all our picks for next year including the second rounders and cash considerations. Buss would rather have Kobe ride the pine than give him up for nothing, so he'll try to wring the team that takes him dry for two reasons:

1) So he doesn't get lynched by the Laker-loyal.

2) So that when Kobe goes to another team, he isn't successful.

Thankfully, I think Buss is so high on Bynum, he wouldn't want Dwight. Seriously, I don't think we have the pieces to get Kobe, but it sure is something to dream about.

quote:

Somebody's gonna get Kobe. Bucher's swears that's what Kobe told him.

It'll be real interesting to see where he ends up.

Possibly another Eastern team making a "big" splash, cough, cough "The Bulls".

If that happens it will just put us further down the ladder.

That is the problem, we don't have anything near the tradeable assets the Bulls do.

I just don't see the Lakers biting on anything on our roster outside of Dwight and Rashard.

I still only give Kobe a 20% chance of playing somewhere else next year. He can't opt out for two years, the Lakers can suspend him without pay if he doesn't report and wait for a better deal to come along like the Sixers did with AI.