Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

The Official VC to Orlando thread. ~merged~

OSPREY23,

You forgot Dwight for Shaq, that way I got rid of everybody under 30.

Actually, I wouldn't always trade potential for veterans. I like the young mix that we have. If Grant Hill did not look as aged as he had looked this year, I would say leave the team as is. I disagree that Carter is at the twilight though, I'd say he's at the top of his game, the time when his phisical skills haven't eroded that much but his experience is starting to show.

I'm not as sure as everybody else that it's a sure thing we get him in the summer. Carter may want to come to Orlando, it may be his first choice. But it doesn't have to be his only one. Specially if it becomes known that we were unwilling to give a player such as JJ in order to get him. No offense to JJ fans, but I think Carter may start to expand his horizons on that news.

Is it a death sentence if don't get Carter? No, we would still have our guys to build on and there are other players out there (heck, I would prefer Ray Allen than Carter). But chances like this don't come often and you may lose more for not taking the chance than for taking it.

Now I'm reading Brian Schmitz blog from this evening and he states:

'No," is Otis' response when asked if the Magic are trying to get Carter.

Smith says he doesn't expect to make a trade, period.

I know Otis is a smart guy and tight lipped about what he's doing. But this is a pretty clear response. Has he done this in the past? Say no to something he was actually doing? I don't remember specifically his comments before the trades last year but I don't think he ever stated something that was later shown to be false.

What do you think?

This is getting a little crazy. Are we sure we already have a championship team in place and all we need is to get these players more experience? When we get to the point we can't give JJ to get Carter, we have completely gone overboard overhyping Magic players.

Here's Chad Ford, an insider to people in the clubs, not girlfriends, uncles, or friends of friends. He says the nets aren't crazy about getting Darko. Here we're building Darko as an untradeable asset and the Nets apparently are saying thanks but no thanks. Same with Travis, much hype but the Suns were only offering fringe players in return.

JJ will be an NBA player, maybe even a starter for some teams. But if we're going to stay out of getting a top player in order to keep JJ, welcome to 41-41 for many years to come. 41-41, by the way, is NBA purgatory, never good enough to win it all, never bad enough to get the top picks. We lived there for awhile. Everybody has potential, but potential has never won a title, top players win titles. If the offer is made for Carter, short of Dwight, you go for it. By the way, if Carter is in the twilight of his career, 80 percent of the players in this league have retired and don't know it yet.

I have to agree with you Ospey23, your 5 is the future. If the Magic had Vince and then had to pay Dwight, Darko and Jameer soon, how much money would be left to finish building a solid roster? not much! Vince and Dwight's contracts would take up half of the payroll. Jameer and Darko would take up a 1/3 and that would only leave about 10 million left to fill out the roster, assuming a 60 million dollar payroll.

Great posts Osprey23

I'd rather seen Hedo (face it he's declining from the Hedo of years ago) moved , Grant retired and dooling opt out than see JJ or Aziza traded and not because I think JJ is any superstar in the making. Dead eye shooters rarely are superstars but many a superstar that has rings have depended on them to get those rings.

Its not about putting all superstars on a team its about building a team . You have good inside presence you need an outside game to round it off. Spare me the pick and roll only not a real three point shooter nonsense as well. JJ is a shooter period.

Collins has never impressed me, to include the better years when they where making their championship runs to the conference and NBA finals. If he had to be included, we should get a 3rd or 4th team involved like Detroit, I would also prefer Dale Davis over that stiff!

Maybe I am looking through rose-colored glasses but I don't want to part with JJ.

He will never be a VC, but this is a guy that every team needs. He brings hustle, energy, swagger and a possibility of putting up huge percentages behind the line. Not saying Vince doesn't do these things, but JJ could be in Orlando for a long time, VC has a window.

I know that Otis knows more about our personnel than I could ever dream of, but getting rid of Redick just sends off a siren in my head.

In regards to my earlier post, who thought Ben Wallace would have turned out the way he did for the Pistons? Orlando got a superstar, but we all know how that turned out.

It seems to me history is repeating itself.

Vince could break his leg on the first day with the team. Then who would we have to spread the floor, Diener? It seems this trade is going to seriously deplete our range.

I know Howard breaking his leg would hurt us even more, but we didnt give anything up to get him.

The bottom line to any trade senario is that the person traded "will" become a Magic Killer.

It's an inexact science to evaluate the potential of one player over another yet it happens every year in June when the NBA holds Draft. Million dollar decisions are made based on differentiating just how good someone is going to be.

For every Gilbert Arenas or Michael Redd, second round stars, the draft works pretty well. Most top ten players do well and only a handful of second rounders become good NBA players.

I don't think Travor or Darko are untreadable, but to me, they seem more valuable than JJ. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would give JJ to get Carter.

Just one man's opinion.

This from the NJ Ledger

The Nets will resume practice this evening, and when they reconvene -- barring travel difficulties -- Jason Kidd and Vince Carter will be among them.

"There's nothing that's even close to fruition, just the usual discussions," Nets president Rod Thorn said last night from Las Vegas. "I certainly don't anticipate anything happening in the next few days. So yes, it's almost assured that we'll have the same players at practice tomorrow."

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-...346076630.xml&coll=1

Maybe it's just posturing, or maybe nothing's gonna happen afterall.