Sign in to follow this  
ThisIsTheYear

Was Jameer really the source of the collapse last night? My analysis.

quote:
Originally posted by O-dub:

Eventually Carlos and Jameer got tired of teammates turning the ball over/missing open shots and decided to rely on their offense much more than there unreliable teammates.

I agree, I personaly posted and defended both PG's based on this but the turnover rate of each PG, specially of jameer is not expalined by this.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

My take on this...

Jammer sat on the bench the entire 4th quarter along with Grant Hill and then they both had their number called with little time remaining. They were both cold and the players they were replacing were exhausted. I think B Hill needs to make this move about a minute or two sooner. He needs to allow his players to get into the flow of the game along with our opponents players. Too often our opponent start to get into the groove while our subs are wearing down and then we bring in our starters cold.

This is dead on and a point I've tried to make repeatedly. You can't sit a player for the first 6/7 minutes of the 4th quarter, potentially longer, and expect him to come in and play at the top of his game for the final 5-6 minutes. This is why most teams sit their starters for the last 4 minutes of the 1st & 3rd or the first 4 of the 2nd & 4th.

quote:
Like many of you, when I watched the game last night, I thought that putting back Nelson was what almost brought our own downfall........but it wasn't. What separates Jameer's stats from high assists players like Deron Williams or Nash, are the players surrounding them. The Magic are one of the poorest, if not the poorest outside shooting teams in the league. I watched the game last night twice, since I recorded it, to see what the problem in that collapse was. To my surprise, it was definitely not Jameer.

He stayed on his man throughout the 4th quarter, and passed much more than he shot. I calculated how many times he assisted on missed shots, and here they were:

Hedo (3 times, 3 misses)

J.J. (3 times, 2 misses)

Trevor (2 times, 1 miss)

Grant (2 times, 1 miss)

Tony (3 times, 2 misses)

Dwight (2 times, 1 miss) Those are nine extra assists that he could of had, and mind you, only two of them weren't wide open.

Turnovers: (Tony couldn't handle one of them, Hedo couldn't handle one of them, one was a bogus offensive flop call, and the other one was a legit one, a pass that went out of bounds)

So, as you can see, he did his part in the game. It was our big men that had the sudden collapse on defense. During the last few minutes of the game, the Jazz scorers were: Okur, Paul Millsap, and a three by Fisher (who J.J. was guarding due to a screen).

I liked the idea of Keyon and Redick as our backcourt, but I made this thread solely to back up Jameer's game.

Just my take on it. Sometimes, you have to see something more than once to really understand what happened.

While I don't blame Jameer for the whole downfall coz we really have problems with scoring, I do believe that it is usually a point guard's role to make their teammates better.

It's hard to make shots when the pass comes in to the left, and around your ankles.

Also meer too often leaves his feet before making passes, a cardinal sin in the basketball world, you don't believe me start counting that statistic.

All I know is that the team played much worse with him in the game. why does every body get all wrapped up in the assist statistic any ways

If you passed me the ball and every time I scored easily because you faked every one out, but every time I dribbled the ball once before throwing it down you would have Zero assists, but would be my, and the fans favorite Point guard.

I would be more impressed with zero assists, zero points out of the point guard position if I won consistently

than I would be with a tripple double and a loss every night.

If you want to count statistics go watch starburry of steve francis

anyway nobody questions meer's ability to play physically, except his height,and defensively every body questions his mental ability, and growth,or lack there of through out the season. He shoots too much and many of these shots are not good shots, they are long distance, or off balance, of over a taller defender, and usually early in the shot clock before anyone else gets involved. He dosen't play defense well, an

I vehemently defended jameer throught the early season struggling and still think he is 1000% better than arroyo, don't make me laugh, but he needs to push him self to get better in these areas, and honestly if we would play like last game without him every night I would have no problem benching him for life.

I'm not saying he is the cause but the team played alot crappier with him in the line up last night.

Ive beensaying that on some post all along he cannot make the shots for the players? that being said if he shoots its a problem if he passes and they miss shots it's his fault, I do see a need for him to tighten up his peremiter defense.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ghost of John Gabriel:

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

My take on this...

Jammer sat on the bench the entire 4th quarter along with Grant Hill and then they both had their number called with little time remaining. They were both cold and the players they were replacing were exhausted. I think B Hill needs to make this move about a minute or two sooner. He needs to allow his players to get into the flow of the game along with our opponents players. Too often our opponent start to get into the groove while our subs are wearing down and then we bring in our starters cold.

This is dead on and a point I've tried to make repeatedly. You can't sit a player for the first 6/7 minutes of the 4th quarter, potentially longer, and expect him to come in and play at the top of his game for the final 5-6 minutes. This is why most teams sit their starters for the last 4 minutes of the 1st & 3rd or the first 4 of the 2nd & 4th.

There have even been numerous games where Jameer has checked in with 2-3 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter after sitting for 8-10 minutes. And he usually accompanies one or two other starters that have been collecting splinters with him through crucial moments of the game. It's tough to blame a player for not coming in ready to contribute when he has been mentally and physically shelved for long, important stretches.

You know how you always hear about boxers needing to build up a good sweat prior to stepping into the ring? Well, our coach continually puts players in cold, to go toe to toe with an opponent that has already built up a good sweat and has momentum on their side. That's a recipe for a knockout.