Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Now that I think about it Danny Green is clearly too good of a comp for McLemore since I can't imagine McLemore ever starting on a Finals team

How is "started in the Finals" a measure of how good a player is? If we're saying things like that then Trey Burke will never be as good as Derek Fisher since I cant imagine him winning 5 championships. Come to think of it, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd... None of those guys can be as good as Derek Fisher.

In 4 years at UNC Green never put up the stats that McLemore did in his one year at Kansas and this year Danny Green averaged 14 points and 4 rebounds per 36, far from stellar numbers.

I'm not in any way sold on McLemore but I'd be surprised if he couldn't put up 14 points per 36 and shoot over 40% from 3 by the time he's reached his 4th year in the league.

• Upvote 2

How is "started in the Finals" a measure of how good a player is? If we're saying things like that then Trey Burke will never be as good as Derek Fisher since I cant imagine him winning 5 championships. Come to think of it, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd... None of those guys can be as good as Derek Fisher.

In 4 years at UNC Green never put up the stats that McLemore did in his one year at Kansas and this year Danny Green averaged 14 points and 4 rebounds per 36, far from stellar numbers.

I'm not in any way sold on McLemore but I'd be surprised if he couldn't put up 14 points per 36 and shoot over 40% from 3 by the time he's reached his 4th year in the league.

Yeah, I agree with you. First of all, there's no reason to believe McLemore couldn't start on a championship caliber team...let's give him a chance to be drafted first. Secondly, whether he ever does or doesn't has no real bearing on how you evaluate him as a player. The logic being used here is flawed at best

If Noel is there it makes the 2nd pick that much more attractive to a team wanting to trade up.

I'm still scared poopless of Noel so no thanks.

This.

I see Noel as HUGE risk, marginal reward. Not worth it.

Agreed.

I still think that Green has more feel and passion for the game. Work Ethic and the Spurs organization made the rest. When you go to SA you know that your ego will be out og there and you will work hard every day to deserve you money.

We know how good works San Antonio with their players, and how they select them. If you won´t plat for the team, you are out, you will be benched.

McLemore doesn´t has the passion for the game, i won´t say that he won´t work hard, but he isn´t a winner. I guess Green doesn´t have the talent of McLemore, but you have to see him hitting 3´s in the finals against Miami, stopping Stephen Curry, and not being afraid of anything.

I would love to see Nash in SA or Kidd before the retiremente, they are players unselfish, they just want to make the team win.

Agreed.

I still think that Green has more feel and passion for the game. Work Ethic and the Spurs organization made the rest. When you go to SA you know that your ego will be out og there and you will work hard every day to deserve you money.

We know how good works San Antonio with their players, and how they select them. If you won´t plat for the team, you are out, you will be benched.

McLemore doesn´t has the passion for the game, i won´t say that he won´t work hard, but he isn´t a winner. I guess Green doesn´t have the talent of McLemore, but you have to see him hitting 3´s in the finals against Miami, stopping Stephen Curry, and not being afraid of anything.

I would love to see Nash in SA or Kidd before the retiremente, they are players unselfish, they just want to make the team win.

How and why are people drawing these conclusions based on one year of college, during which McLemore hit at least two game winners that I'm aware of? Did he fail to demand the ball in some big moments down the stretch? Sure he did. Is this something that you might expect from a young guy under similar circumstances? I believe so. Does this mean that McLemore is somehow not a winner? Hell no. It simply means he either wasn't ready for the stage or currently lacks the aggressiveness/confidence to demand the ball and take the big shot. Hell, Lebron was deferring to teammates in clutch moments up to two years ago and no one has ever said he's not a winner (not comparing McLemore to Lebron btw). Btw, how many game winners did Danny Green make as a freshman at UNC? Doesn't McLemore deserve the shot to prove what he is before we start labeling him a "not a winner" aka "a loser"? I believe he does, whether its in a Magic uniform or otherwise

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't, I think it will be incredible if McLemore becomes even an average role player in the NBA.

I wouldn't, I think it will be incredible if McLemore becomes even an average role player in the NBA.

I don't know if there has ever been a draft that has so many players that ppl have completely different opinions on. The best player in the draft could end up coming from the teens or later in the first round. I guy like KCP could end up turning out better than BMac or Dipo. I think its crazy I can't wait for draft night to see what unfolds for us.

That's pretty pessimistic relative to his potential. I think average role player is his floor/most likely scenario

EDIT: what you're saying is the #2 player in the draft is overwhelmingly likely to be outside of a normal rotation or even out of the league. That's asinine to assume this is the most likely scenario. While I wouldn't be surprised if he flamed out, it's just ignorant to state it would be incredible for a mclemore to become average.

That's pretty pessimistic relative to his potential. I think average role player is his floor/most likely scenario

EDIT: what you're saying is the #2 player in the draft is overwhelmingly likely to be outside of a normal rotation or even out of the league. That's asinine to assume this is the most likely scenario. While I wouldn't be surprised if he flamed out, it's just ignorant to state it would be incredible for a mclemore to become average.

You may not agree but I feel quite strongly about it given his myriad of weaknesses. The only thing he does well is spot-up shoot from deep and finish well in transition. In spite of his much touted athleticism he's a poor defender, doesn't get steals, and was a bad finisher in the halfcourt. Not to mention his awful handle and total inability to create on his own. There's just so much that needs to go right for McLemore for him to be decent and with all these factors as well as his questionable motor, it would be an amazing turnaround if it happened. Granted, it certainly could happen just like how Andre Drummond somehow played worse against college players than NBA players. But I'm not gonna bet on it.

People are seemingly misunderstanding the whole McLemore lack of leadership/competitiveness/passion/mental fortitude characterization.

Just say what you mean... the boy is slow.

You may not agree but I feel quite strongly about it given his myriad of weaknesses. The only thing he does well is spot-up shoot from deep and finish well in transition. In spite of his much touted athleticism he's a poor defender, doesn't get steals, and was a bad finisher in the halfcourt. Not to mention his awful handle and total inability to create on his own. There's just so much that needs to go right for McLemore for him to be decent and with all these factors as well as his questionable motor, it would be an amazing turnaround if it happened. Granted, it certainly could happen just like how Andre Drummond somehow played worse against college players than NBA players. But I'm not gonna bet on it.

If he can spot up shoot well and finish in transition, that makes him an average role player...

They call them role players because they play roles. His role would be spot up shooter.