Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Is it just me who gets the feeling that of the 15 GM's Ford has said he's spoken to Hennigan is probably not one of them?

Ford says a lot of GM's wanting to trade out of draft, if that's true then an extra pick should be pretty cheap to acquire and we could land a good young role-player type later in the draft for giving up very little.

great news for us if true, sounds like a buyers market.

I'm praying Hedo has one more trick left for us.

2. Orlando Magic Ben McLemore (SG, 20, 6-5, 189, Kansas, freshman): Orlando is in the early stages of a thorough rebuilding process and could use a little bit of everything at the moment, including a starting point guard (Jameer Nelson has just one more guaranteed year on his contract), small forward and power forward, depending on how they view Tobias Harris and Mo Harkless. After winning just 20 games last season, the Magic can hardly afford to be married to any of the players on their roster and will need to select the best overall prospect they can acquire in this draft – regardless of position – because they have just one pick in the top 40. Ben McLemore is likely the most talented prospect available here, and could easily slide Arron Afflalo to the small forward position where his skill set is better suited despite his lack of size. Trey Burke, Anthony Bennett, Otto Porter and others will get looks here as well, as its unlikely that we’ll have much of a definitive inclination of what the Magic will do with this pick until much closer to draft day.

Yahoo writers..."The Magic could pick anyone here, we won't know for sure until the draft."

I know I'm crazy, but I have this weird feeling that this is gonna be the "Who passed on Oladipo?" draft when all is said and done.

That type of athleticism and defensive tenacity is just scary. The guy is a terror in transition and has the potential to defend like Tony Allen.

I'm already talking myself into this way too much...

I know I'm crazy, but I have this weird feeling that this is gonna be the "Who passed on Oladipo?" draft when all is said and done.

That type of athleticism and defensive tenacity is just scary. The guy is a terror in transition and has the potential to defend like Tony Allen.

I'm already talking myself into this way too much...

Oladipo is my least favorite guy in the draft. I just don't feel like he can create his own shot, or constantly hit the open 3. He would be a great role player on a good team that needs a defender but I don't ever see him even being a 2nd scoring option on a team.

Oladipo is my least favorite guy in the draft. I just don't feel like he can create his own shot, or constantly hit the open 3. He would be a great role player on a good team that needs a defender but I don't ever see him even being a 2nd scoring option on a team.

+1 on this. Although I'd even say he will never be more than a 3rd scoring option.

people, EVERY PROSPECT has flaws!!! If they were perfect, we'd all be devastated that we didn't get the #1 pick. Of all the prospects, who requires the least amount of work? Or with the right coaching, who has the least amount or easiest flaws that can be corrected? The more and more I think about this, the draft screams for us to pick Oladipo. He's the best defender, has the biggest motor, and total gym rat, and that will only help him improve. Look what Redick came into the league with and has developed into; look at what Curry came into the league with, and what he's developed into. Point is, players all come in with flaws, but those with the gym rat mentality have the upper hand in their development. The kid is a complete Hennigan guy who is teachable, has high IQ, knows his role, and goes HARD EVERY PRACTICE AND GAME. With contagious energy like that, our team will only play that much harder with & for each other.

I think from this day forward, I'm on the Oladipo train for our pick. I like Burke & McCollum, but something about 'Dipo says he has "it". If we're luckly, maybe we get 'Dipo and a solid PG. Maybe Rob can pull off the unimaginable and get Oladipo & Burke.

• Upvote 1

people, EVERY PROSPECT has flaws!!! If they were perfect, we'd all be devastated that we didn't get the #1 pick. Of all the prospects, who requires the least amount of work? Or with the right coaching, who has the least amount or easiest flaws that can be corrected? The more and more I think about this, the draft screams for us to pick Oladipo. He's the best defender, has the biggest motor, and total gym rat, and that will only help him improve. Look what Redick came into the league with and has developed into; look at what Curry came into the league with, and what he's developed into. Point is, players all come in with flaws, but those with the gym rat mentality have the upper hand in their development. The kid is a complete Hennigan guy who is teachable, has high IQ, knows his role, and goes HARD EVERY PRACTICE AND GAME. With contagious energy like that, our team will only play that much harder with & for each other.

I think from this day forward, I'm on the Oladipo train for our pick. I like Burke & McCollum, but something about 'Dipo says he has "it". If we're luckly, maybe we get 'Dipo and a solid PG. Maybe Rob can pull off the unimaginable and get Oladipo & Burke.

I know they all have flaws and if we go with him than I'm alright with that cause its the guy Henny likes. I'm just saying his flaw scares me the most. Reddick could shot lights out coming in. Oladipo looks lost at times with the ball in his hand and can't shoot. As far as 2 guards go I feel BMac can develop on D a lot better than Vitor can on O

Would Henny dare dangle our 2014 pick from Denver/New York for a late lottery/mid first rounder? If teams are seriously looking to get out of the draft that would seem possible. Depending on who it could net us we'd have to give it some consideration, especially considering the pick that matters most next year will be ours anyways.

Would Henny dare dangle our 2014 pick from Denver/New York for a late lottery/mid first rounder? If teams are seriously looking to get out of the draft that would seem possible. Depending on who it could net us we'd have to give it some consideration, especially considering the pick that matters most next year will be ours anyways.

No next year's draft is the deepest and most talented in the last decade. No way you give up a pick to get into this years draft which is basically a crap shoot.

I know they all have flaws and if we go with him than I'm alright with that cause its the guy Henny likes. I'm just saying his flaw scares me the most. Reddick could shot lights out coming in. Oladipo looks lost at times with the ball in his hand and can't shoot. As far as 2 guards go I feel BMac can develop on D a lot better than Vitor can on O

Redick couldn't defend or dribble off a screen for crap, but he worked at it....hard, and became respectable in those areas. I'm not saying 'Dipo will become a great shooter or playmaker, but his work ethic is something you can't teach, and that will make him better in whatever he wants to improve on. He's already a smart player that knows when to pick his spots, can relentlessly drive, and can hit the outside shot. I fully trust Rob in whomever he chooses (even if its MCW), but so far, I'm liking Oladipo as my first option. This month is gonna be nuts and I can't wait for leaked reports and rumors.

No next year's draft is the deepest and most talented in the last decade. No way you give up a pick to get into this years draft which is basically a crap shoot.

I hear you, and that seems to be conventional wisdom, but if we drafted McLemore and then McCollum (not likely) or Schroeder (likely) was still on the board at say 13, I wonder if Henny would consider it? I realize next years draft is deep, but the pick from NY/Denver will likely be mid-late 20's and the value at 13 in this draft might be greater to or at least equal to a late first rounder next year. Not saying it will happen obviously, but its certainly a possibility. Having said that, there may be other ways to obtain a mid-first rounder this year without giving up next years Denver/NY pick...so nevermind

I hear you, and that seems to be conventional wisdom, but if we drafted McLemore and then McCollum (not likely) or Schroeder (likely) was still on the board at say 13, I wonder if Henny would consider it? I realize next years draft is deep, but the pick from NY/Denver will likely be mid-late 20's and the value at 13 in this draft might be greater to or at least equal to a late first rounder next year. Not saying it will happen obviously, but its certainly a possibility.

agreed.

I think for the right player, gotta utilize that asset, or at least see what it can bring. 20-something range sounds right, but if NY keeps building with age and Denver goes through more injuries, that may possibly rise to early 20s/late teens. Regardless, Henny wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't examine the possibility. And with the scouts we have, they already have 2014 scouted well enough to compare the possible talent pool in that draft vs this draft.