Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Didn't Schroeder torch everybody at the Summit? That is why he is as high as he is on draft boards

Pretty much. In 28 minutes he had 18 points and 6 assists and shot 10 FT's.

EDIT:Also the 3 guys who guarded him had a combined 14 fouls. (obviously not all drawn by him but still..)

You can't use future drafts to dictate who you pick in this draft. You pick best player available. We have two good small forwards. We could draft one of the two or three good small forwards next year. If Otto porter is the guy you like the best you still have to draft him. Talent is more important than fit at this point

I think you do kinda have to look at the future draft when you are rebuilding IMO. Also I think that the Cavs will pick Porter because he is the best fit for them.

Were far to bad to be selecting players based on position.

I would heavily disagree as would the Magic front office.

Sure you want the best possible talent, but you also dont want to run into the Phillip Rivers/ Drew Brees scenario. We made moves with a goal and a time frame in mind. Selecting based on talent alone, disregarding positional needs only extends that time frame...not meeting the goal or goals.

You have to know what position your need of and the type of depth you have behind it, in order to draft successfully. And keep in mind that it is 5 on 5, a team sport... Not everyone needs to be Kobe and Jordan. You need to have the B.J. Armstrong's, Vernon Maxwell's, and Robert Horry's for a successful run at a Championship or Championships.

Honestly, in big time games... you dont even need a All Star, you just need players to have "All-Star" moments.

With that said.... C, SF, PF, are pretty full at this time.

Pretty much. In 28 minutes he had 18 points and 6 assists and shot 10 FT's.

EDIT:Also the 3 guys who guarded him had a combined 14 fouls. (obviously not all drawn by him but still..)

Nice. I didnt watch it but all I heard was how good Schroeder did. He will probably be there at #13 too

My problem with drafting Porter isn't that we already have 2 young SF's it's that I don't think he will be as good as either. He doesn't have the potential or athleticism of Harkless and I don't think he's as talented as Harris.

Porter actually reminds me of Harris a little. Good length, good rebounder and get's blocks and steals on defense but isn't really that good a defender when it comes to keeping his man in front of him. The difference is I think Harris creates for himself a lot better than Porter and is a stronger finisher inside.

Porter plays like Hedo if he had a motor and cared about defense.

Our spacing would also be horrific with Harkless, Harris and Porter unless one of those guys learns how to shoot.

Which hedo?

2009 hedo plus a motor plus defense is the best player ever.

2013 hedo plus a motor plus defense is a taller tony allen

I think if you look at the models that have succeeded over the past several years they break down as follows:

- Superstar driven (Miami, OKC, Boston)

- Team full of excellent shooters that swing the ball well (Golden State 2013, Dallas 2011)

- Passable offense but top-ranked defense: (Memphis, Indiana, Chicago)

... and San Antonio who is a bit of all three (though, so is Miami and formerly Boston for that matter)

Anyhow, the point I am trying to make is that the 3rd model seems to be the best route for small-market teams. With our current core we have a lot of promise but we are piss-poor defensively. How do you start to remedy that?

Hope Noel falls or see if it's possible to swap picks with Cleveland at a reasonable price.Take Oladipo at 2 or swap picks with CHA and grab him at the #4 spot. Then I agree with everyone here that if the Dallas pick is up for grabs we need to take it. Schroeder seems like a great choice there. He reminds me a lot of Conley on defense and offensively.

Porter plays like Hedo if he had a motor and cared about defense.

Our spacing would also be horrific with Harkless, Harris and Porter unless one of those guys learns how to shoot.

You're being a little harsh on Porter there... He shot 42% from 3 this season

I would heavily disagree as would the Magic front office.

Sure you want the best possible talent, but you also dont want to run into the Phillip Rivers/ Drew Brees scenario. We made moves with a goal and a time frame in mind. Selecting based on talent alone, disregarding positional needs only extends that time frame...not meeting the goal or goals.

You have to know what position your need of and the type of depth you have behind it, in order to draft successfully. And keep in mind that it is 5 on 5, a team sport... Not everyone needs to be Kobe and Jordan. You need to have the B.J. Armstrong's, Vernon Maxwell's, and Robert Horry's for a successful run at a Championship or Championships.

Honestly, in big time games... you dont even need a All Star, you just need players to have "All-Star" moments.

With that said.... C, SF, PF, are pretty full at this time.

Who are on our team is un-tradeable? Who on our team are you sold can be a key piece on a championship team? Obviously you take position somewhat into consideration but if Otto Porter is the best player at 2, that's who you take regardless of Harris or Harkless. I'm not saying Porter is the pick, I'm just stating were in the spot to take best overall talent. And I'm glad to know you know what the Magic front office want, let me know next time you sit in on a meeting with them. For any of us to claim to know what is going on behind closed doors with management is foolish.

Who are on our team is un-tradeable? Who on our team are you sold can be a key piece on a championship team? Obviously you take position somewhat into consideration but if Otto Porter is the best player at 2, that's who you take regardless of Harris or Harkless. I'm not saying Porter is the pick, I'm just stating were in the spot to take best overall talent. And I'm glad to know you know what the Magic front office want, let me know next time you sit in on a meeting with them.

Agreed. Who cares if we have 8 small forwards? You collect talent and if it doesn't fit, you trade it later.

• Upvote 1