Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Just curious, I wish we could get a poll or something going on here. But I really would like to know who on this forum other than me doesn't want Burke. That's fine if you do, and if we draft him I 100% hope I end up being wrong on all of my assessments and would have no issues eating my words. But I just would like to know if there is anyone else out there that doesn't want Burke to be our pick, because I feel like I'm on an island here lol.

You could always create a thread with a poll :bball:

As for Burke I think he could be a good pick. He's got an excellent skill set, he's a leader and clutch. But if we did miss out on the first pick and land the second pick overall, and McLemore is still on the board, then I would be happy to see us trade down in the draft in order to secure two first picks (eg. T-Wolves picks for our first round pick, or the Suns if they fall to the sixth pick), or for a first round pick and a talent (eg. T-Wolves lottery pick plus Williams).

I've always been more intrigued with Ola than BeMac.

I have too. Oladipo is more raw than BMac, but Oladipo is a harder work both on and off the floor. I just see BMac having the mental toughness to be anything more than a spot-up shooter. He never drove in college, and that's not something that is easily taught once you get to the pros unless he's willing to buy into the idea that he can't always rely on his jump shot.

After reading Oladipo's life story in a USA Today article (which talks about his graduating IU with honors in 3 years, coming from a family that has two parents with Doctorates, and a chip-on-his-shoulder story in that his father disapproves of his basketball lifestyle and therefore has never come to a single one of Oladipo's games), I am sold on the fact that this guy has the intelligence, athleticism, and mental toughness (with a permanent chip on his shoulder) to be something great.

At worst, I think Oladipo will turn into a complementary glue glue guy who does everything you want in a non-scorer, akin to Shane Battier. I don't think he will ever be a star, but rather will do whatever is asked of him in order to win. He'll be a 2nd or 3rd scoring option who will do everything else from defense to rebounding to screening.

Guys like that are not highly touted, but if you look at any great team, every one has one or two guys like that. Not everyone can or should be a star scorer / all-star on a team. I think we have that single scorer in Tobias Harris already, and I believe Vuc becomes the down-low scorer. We now need guys who can play roles, and Oladipo I think fills that role far greater than BMac.

Just curious, I wish we could get a poll or something going on here. But I really would like to know who on this forum other than me doesn't want Burke. That's fine if you do, and if we draft him I 100% hope I end up being wrong on all of my assessments and would have no issues eating my words. But I just would like to know if there is anyone else out there that doesn't want Burke to be our pick, because I feel like I'm on an island here lol.

there is already a poll

I've been lurking all year and have watched a lot of misconceptions about Burke's game on here over the last couple months. I am a Michigan fan as well as a Magic fan, and I have season basketball tickets to the former so I've seen a lot of Trey over the last two years. In terms of his game, he shares little with Nash and Paul as he has more athleticism than Nash and less size than Paul. His game and build are most similar to Iverson if we are going to project his ceiling. Obviously Iverson was a better scorer and Burke is a better passer, but both finish through contact well despite being long and wiry. They also both have nice jumpers and stepback shots that create space despite average height. The most impressive thing about Trey (and here I think we are all on the same page) is his competitiveness, killer instinct, and willingness to improve. He had a great freshman year and I was convinced that he would improve a little over the summer as a scorer. However, he came back a much improved - and much more willing - defender. The knocks on his defense on here are offbase. He is never going to be an elite defender (although what pgs really are?), but he is quick and has a long wingspan. And in terms of effort and commitment, it's all there.

As for whether or not we should spend the #1 pick (assuming we actually get it), I don't think Trey will go first. Ideally, I'd like to trade the pick to Cleveland for their two first rounders because I think Burke might be available at 3-4 and we could get another solid player at 19. However, that's mostly just about "value" for the pick. I think Trey has all the tools to become a longtime starter, and potentially an all-star. I'd take him in a blink over basically any player in this draft (especially McLemore and Oladipo) outside of Noel. I'm not sold on Noel either, but we all know the benefit of having a dominant shot blocker and he would pretty much guarantee us another year of tanking by sitting out. Everyone remember when Robinson came back and the Spurs had just drafted Duncan? Not a perfect analogy, but it would make 2014 a pretty exciting season with two potential top picks starting their careers.

Anyway, before this gets too long, I just wanted to clear up a couple of misconceptions about Trey. He CAN finish through contact for his size. He IS a solid defender. And I don't think anyone should be disappointed if we wound up with him as our top pick this year. He has that killer instinct that we've seen from Jameer at times, but with much more consistency in his passing game and a higher ceiling due to his athleticism and length. Go Blue!

Through, burk is not iverson. you can see the iverson mid range here. burke is more of a pure pt and iverson was a pure scorer. You can also see how burke can finish through contact at the rim....

If Zeller is so athletic then why does he play like Shawn Bradley 2.0?

And why did he consistently get shut down in the tourney and what seemed like every time I saw him play? Not a fan at all

I keep looking for a different or better answer, but IMO the best two ideas is either draft Burke with our pick, or trade down and get more picks and get Dennis Schroder with our pick. I could see either of them being the best player in the draft. I could also see Noel turning into something special he just scares me to much. I will be happy regardless because people that get paid to know more than I do will be making the pick.

If Zeller is so athletic then why does he play like Shawn Bradley 2.0?

he is paper thin, but bigger than noel... lol

Im not in the Burke train. I prefer Oladipo over him even in the 1st pick. But i prefer Burke over Mclemore.

Im not sold on anyone, but my first choice with Smart out is Oladipo.

Im not in the Burke train. I prefer Oladipo over him even in the 1st pick. But i prefer Burke over Mclemore.

Im not sold on anyone, but my first choice with Smart out is Oladipo.

I would take Oladipo over Burke even though I'm not a huge Oladipo fan. But I do think that Oladipos floor isn't to low and worse case scenario he's a lock down defender that can be counted on to stop the great 2 guards in the league. Offensively, he's a question mark but again at least he will be great at least on one end of the court. I personally compare Oladipo to Tony Allen, though Oladipo's ceiling is much higher. I just think his floor is Tony Allen.

I personally compare Oladipo to Tony Allen, though Oladipo's ceiling is much higher. I just think his floor is Tony Allen.

I think that's a good comp, too.