Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

the biggest issue with "small pgs" is challenging shots and finishing a round the basket vs height (body mass is also a factor here). Therefore, wingspan is really more important than height.

Burks wingspan is = 6"5

2. lawson = 6"
  3. Mike Conley = 6"5
  4. curry = 6"3
  5. Jameer Nelson = 6"2
  6. Rose= 6"8
  7. Lillard = 6"7
  8. Chris Paul = 6"4
  9. K. Walker = 6" 3
  10. Raymond Felton = 6"4
  11. Brandon Knight = 6"6
  12. Kyrie Irving = 6"4
  13. Isaiah Thomas = 6"1
  14. Holiday = 6"7
  15. D. Williams = 6"6
  16. Lawry = NA 6"0
  17. Kidd = NA 6"4
  18. Nash = NA 6"3
  19. Rondo = NA 6"5 (I know he as long arms)
  20. Parker = NA 6"2
  21. Jeff Teague 6"7
  22. Ricky Rubio = NA 6"4
  23. Darren Collison = 6"3
  24. Jeremy Lin = 6"5
  25. Geoge Hill = 6"9
  26. Chalmers = NA 6"2
  27. Jennings = NA 6"1
  28. Vasquez = 6"7
  29. M. Williams = 6"5
  30. john wall = 6"9
  31. westbrook = 6"7

This is the wing span for all the starting guards in the league. The average wingspan is 6.44. Therefore burke's 6"5 wingspan is average. The bigger guards weight is around 200lbs. Burk, without any nba training, weight is 185. He will only get bigger as he trains. I dont think burke's size will be as big of a factor as it seems. He stands 6"0 or 6"1, but his wingspan and weight is what counts.

*NA is not available, so I used height. except for rondo; I bumped his wingspan up based on guesstimation.

As for Burke, I'm not saying he's not talented I just think that Burke's main limitations aren't even skill related. It's a lot easier to learn skills like passing or dribbling than it is to grow or become more athletic.

I think this is part of the reason the NBA standard has gone down hill. Too often players are being drafted now on their athletic ability and not their skills.

If the average is 6.44 and he has a 6.5 that would be above average unless I'm really that bad at math.

since there was a few NA numbers. I said average. But you would be correct, 6"5 is above average.

If the average is 6.44 and he has a 6.5 that would be above average unless I'm really that bad at math.

Technically you're right but it's within a standard deviation.

The Burke love on this board has hit new highs, or, should i say low's?

Wake me up when it's over.

What is wrong with stating fact. what things were said about burke that were over the top? I personally scouted more into the size issue and found that burk is more average than small as pg.

They got Zach with the te and marc, plus picks

I know that Marc developed but truthfully they got the 48th pick in the draft in Marc and developed him. It was pure luck given that most second rounders are out of the league in two years. Kwame Brown, Jarvaris Crittendon and Aaron Mackie were more detriments than assets when the Lakers dumped them on the Grizz too. The first round picks for the lakers in in 08 and 10 were both at #28. Basically the Lakers unloaded three Chris Duhons (garbage players a la the Otis Smith roster) and 2 Daniel Ortons (late late firsts) on the Grizz along with pick 48 and the Lakers got a hall of fame piece for nothing. So Im on the side of Greg Popovich when he said after the Gasol trade " a committee needed to be formed to eliminate one sided trades that make no sense".

I know that Marc developed but truthfully they got the 48th pick in the draft in Marc and developed him. It was pure luck given that most second rounders are out of the league in two years. Kwame Brown, Jarvaris Crittendon and Aaron Mackie were more detriments than assets when the Lakers dumped them on the Grizz too. The first round picks for the lakers in in 08 and 10 were both at #28. Basically the Lakers unloaded three Chris Duhons (garbage players a la the Otis Smith roster) and 2 Daniel Ortons (late late firsts) on the Grizz along with pick 48 and the Lakers got a hall of fame piece for nothing. So Im on the side of Greg Popovich when he said after the Gasol trade " a committee needed to be formed to eliminate one sided trades that make no sense".

the orlando draft was said to be one sided but after time it looks different. It was in the same boat as the griz laker trade.

What is wrong with stating fact. what things were said about burke that were over the top? I personally scouted more into the size issue and found that burk is more average than small as pg.

I'm not complaining about your research or knocking your opinion. I just find it hard to believe people see him as a no.1 pick. I just don't know why everyone wants to force a PG because we "Need" one, when there are equally as important flaws on this team; Interior Defense, Knock down outside shooter.

We have Meer on the books for at least 1 more year, can easily sign some young guy to back him up and sign a free agent PG in summer of 2014 after we get a star in the draft too.

I think this is part of the reason the NBA standard has gone down hill. Too often players are being drafted now on their athletic ability and not their skills.

Guys who are non- athletes are still drafted if they have talent, Andrew Nicholson is probably an easy example of that and really I think he's also an example of where a little more speed could help him in rotations or a little more explosive leap could help him rebound better and block more shots.

The game has changed because there are so many rules that stop defenders being physical and tough and so the only way a perimeter defender can keep his man in front of him is by having the length, and lateral speed to stay in front of a guy and challenge shots.

And that really is my biggest issue with Burke because I know he can shoot and pass and handle the ball but his defense is bad. Really bad. And that is, in part, due to his size and athleticism. He doesn't have the foot speed to stay in front of most guys (and that was in college) and doesn't have the strength to fight over screens. And I know that defense isn't the be all and end all of a PG and, because they extend energy on offense, they don't always give full energy on d but in critical possessions I'd like a guard who can step up and play some D because otherwise teams are going to absolutely torch us.