Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Time to trade our pick to either dallas, washington, phoenix, minn or cleveland for their 2014 first.

Burke, Noel, McLemore, and Oladipo are still better than (or at least even with) late lottery picks for next season. There's no reason to trade them unless we're sure a team will be in the upper half of the lottery.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 5m

Overwhelming initial response of NBA executives on Marcus Smart's decision to bypass top 5 status in draft to stay in school: Shock.

Hearing Magic "a little surprised, but not totally surprised" Marcus Smart is staying.

Joe Kepner's twitter (local reporter, not sure which network)

Noel will be the No1 pick. I don't know about anyone else but this to me ups the pressure in the lotto quite a bit. Only 2 guys I care about now are Noel and McLemore and they will 99% go 1 and 2. If we pic 3 or 4, puke.

Smart would no doubt be a top 3 pick this year. Next year he's probably going to fall out of the lottery. Makes no sense.

I think while the money is there for him and his draft stock will clearly never be higher, there is something to be said about:

A. The kid's integrity to see through a commitment (perhaps to his teammates that he wasn't leaving on that 1st round embarrassment)

B. The kid's level-headed ability to not make money his main priority.

C. The kid's appreciation for collegiate life and truly maturing in a special atmosphere in college hoops. He could get hurt, sure, but even if he drops out of the lottery (which is doubtful), he'll still be making decent money and a body and game that will always be wanted in the NBA. At the end of the day, you sometimes can't put a price on your college years.

I don't like the decision, but I'll respect it for the spotlight it brings to his character and values. Wishing even more now we had a chance to draft this kid.