Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Rob Hennigan: Executive of the Year?

I guess some of you missed the part where I addressed the alt universe/wins don't matter part.

That universe only exists with grade school "participation awards".

I agree with Drain-O that Morey should win it this year but Henny has laid the groundwork to take home the award if these moves translate to wins down the road.

We definitely have a great GM, all his moves were great or at least good...I hope he continues like that during the next two seasons.

Some love from Sports Illustrated

Orlando Magic

Magic GM Rob Hennigan is way ahead of the game. Orlando’s trade return for Dwight Howard may have seemed meager at the time, but Nikola Vucevic has blossomed into the NBA’s No. 2 rebounder (11.9 per game to go with 12.9 points), Maurice Harkless is already a useful player with plenty of room to grow and Arron Afflalo has used his new circumstances to expand his offensive game. Orlando still doesn’t have a centerpiece player on a rookie-scale deal, but that’s nonetheless a really solid haul and the Magic have three first-round picks from the deal and plenty of developmental opportunities to come.

Vucevic and Harkless will get better, as will versatile forward Tobias Harris, who was acquired at the trade deadline for impending free agent J.J. Redick. As much as Hennigan might have loved the idea of keeping Redick, his summer payday would have added a good chunk of salary to the books of a rebuilding team already lacking in cap space. Harris, 20, provides the potential for production and lineup flexibility on a much more affordable deal.

All told, these acquisitions suggest a stable, cogent process — the hallmark of great management and the foundation of a quality NBA franchise.

http://nba.si.com/20...kets/?eref=sihp

• Upvote 2

What Henny did this year was extremely commendable. To take the garbage he was left with once coming into office and now shedding contracts and taking in prospects with an expected upside to their careers is an amazing feat. Not even mentioning him cleaning house in the front office earlier this season. Hennigan is proving to be an exceptional GM and see him winning this award in the near future if he keeps this up.

The future in Orlando looks very promising thanks to Henny. He hade made some outstanding moves and he hasn't even been here for a full year yet. More to come.

So far some key aquisitions...

Hiring Jacque Vaughn - His calm demeanor has helped fuel the development of our young players. He allows the young players to work through their mistakes and learn from them. Being patient with JV should pay off big time in the long run . I hope Henny keeps him around for while.

Drafting Andrew Nicholson at #19 and Kyle O'Quinn at #47 - Nicholson has the tools to be a solid player. He's a natural scorer offensively but needs a lot of work defensively. You can't argue with the pick though, because i'm not sure if any of the picks from 10-19 are better than him (except Harkless who we wound up getting from Philly anyway). As far as O'Quinn, we all know he was an absolute steal at #47. Henny robbed teams on that one, just straight robbery. Enough said.

Getting Vucevic and Harkless from Philly - Both players have improved as the season has gone on and they continue to improve. The sky's the limit.

Acquiring Tobias Harris, Beno Udrih, and Doron Lamb for JJ Redick - It was sad to see Redick go, but we got Tobias out of it. He's a superstar in the making and I love the fact that he wants the ball during crunch time. He's a great building block for our youth movement, along with Vuc and Moe.

Beno has been inconsistent at times but he displays good leadership and veteran saavy which are necessary for our continued growth. It will be interesting to see if he comes back next year. Lamb looked completely lost when he first came here so it was nice to see him having an excellent game against the Bucks. Hopefully this does wonders to his confidence because it was lacking.

Henny's best move? Getting rid of Ayon and Ish. Unquestionably the two worst players on our team. He also got rid of McBob whose production per minute stats were awful.

Some love from Sports Illustrated

http://nba.si.com/20...kets/?eref=sihp

"All told, these acquisitions suggest a stable, cogent process — the hallmark of great management and the foundation of a quality NBA franchise."

Well on our way to something that is "sustainable". Not just a two or three year run at the title and back to the dumps. That's all we, as Magic fans, know. Alex Martins deserves a lot of credit too, hiring Hennigan in the first place.