Sign in to follow this  
average joe

Amway Arena

I know that this is a site full of Magic fans but I would like to give you my take on the new proposed arena plus I would like to hear yours.

As you may know the arena was built in 1989 and seats 17,248 people (for basketball). The proposed arena will seat an additonal 2,752 people and cost an estimated 480 million dollars. That works out to $174,419 for each additional seat. That seat will be sat in (if filled)for only 44 Magic home games per year (based on-this season). The Magic have said they need a new arena to stop the 20 million dollar loss each year and would have to go somewhere else if they don't. They won't back that figure up with their accounting though which makes me wonder. The Magic are willing to contribute 50 million (Rich Devos is a billionare). By some estimates, the Magic will make 65 million in revenue in the 1st year. The City is happy to break even (thanks alot for looking out for the little guy). Now, I know most everyone on this forum is a diehard Magic fan. As for me, I find watching sports in general boring so I am not a Magic fan. My beef as an average Joe is this:

Orange County, Fl has a population of over 1 million. Why spent 480 million on a new arena to satisfy an additional 2,752 people. Use that money for the good of the vast majority of residents. My preference would be to buy land and build more parks throughout the City that are used year-round by the general public. If the Magic, needs "x" amount of money to survive and stay in Orlando, let them open up their books and see if the City can work something out. Don't hold the City hostage and secondly don't skewed the deal so heavily in your favor.

Average Joe

I know that this is a site full of Magic fans but I would like to give you my take on the new proposed arena plus I would like to hear yours.

As you may know the arena was built in 1989 and seats 17,248 people (for basketball). The proposed arena will seat an additonal 2,752 people and cost an estimated 480 million dollars. That works out to $174,419 for each additional seat. That seat will be sat in (if filled)for only 44 Magic home games per year (based on-this season). The Magic have said they need a new arena to stop the 20 million dollar loss each year and would have to go somewhere else if they don't. They won't back that figure up with their accounting though which makes me wonder. The Magic are willing to contribute 50 million (Rich Devos is a billionare). By some estimates, the Magic will make 65 million in revenue in the 1st year. The City is happy to break even (thanks alot for looking out for the little guy). Now, I know most everyone on this forum is a diehard Magic fan. As for me, I find watching sports in general boring so I am not a Magic fan. My beef as an average Joe is this:

Orange County, Fl has a population of over 1 million. Why spent 480 million on a new arena to satisfy an additional 2,752 people. Use that money for the good of the vast majority of residents. My preference would be to buy land and build more parks throughout the City that are used year-round by the general public. If the Magic, needs "x" amount of money to survive and stay in Orlando, let them open up their books and see if the City can work something out. Don't hold the City hostage and secondly don't skewed the deal so heavily in your favor.

Average Joe

Although I agree that the Magic, and professional teams in general, are somewhat sketchy with their facts, to say that spending 480 million to accommodate 2,757 people is wrong.

The new arena would be a major part of Orlando's attempted urban development. This will bring more jobs to the CBD, as well as create construction jobs. Although upward mobility surrounding the arena is not quite what pro teams say, the Paramore district will benefit. A new arena, while primarily used by the Magic, will bring in more events, such as concerts, that currently skip our city because of the current venue. Finally, in what is unmeasurable, a new arena, which keeps the team in town, increases Orlando's national importance and will help us shake the stigma that we are only a tourist town.

It's about more than just the Magic. Concerts and events routinely pass us by in favor of Tampa and Jacksonville.

That building is almost 20 yrs old, it leaks, the sound quality is poor and it's a nightmare to navigate past the lines waiting for the terrible food options we have. Couple that with the performing arts center being a part of this downtown rivitalization (another outdated building that causes us to miss out on things like "Wicked" coming through) and this whole deal will be something that improves the quality of life for the people of this fast growing city.

Yes, it probably isn't fair as far as what the Magic get out of it but, it's not like the city will not get anything out of this. As I understood the Magic offered the revenue from the naming rights to the new building. The Magic have also offered up much more than franchises in other cities have, by offering more money up front as well as covering part of the loan. So you have to ask yourself, do you want to build a new arena with their help now or build one completely on our own in a couple of years after they have left town?

It may be that parks and things of that nature would be nice to have but does anyone really think that the city or the county is going to raise the tourist tax in order to fund parks? That money will either be approved for Project Hometown or that money will never happen at all.

Who is this guy a tree hugger? The bottom line is we dont build the team a new arena they will leave. Although you may be happy to see a NBA team leave so we can have more parks others are not. By you posting comments trying to detour a new arena you are in fact doing us in the forum bad.

Moderators??? This is not a benifet to this forum i would ask this to be removed...he is not even a fan, just a paid polictical hippie.

quote:
Originally posted by magicdepth:

Who is this guy a tree hugger? The bottom line is we dont build the team a new arena they will leave. Although you may be happy to see a NBA team leave so we can have more parks others are not. By you posting comments trying to detour a new arena you are in fact doing us in the forum bad.

Moderators??? This is not a benifet to this forum i would ask this to be removed...he is not even a fan, just a paid polictical hippie.

I think an honest discussion about this does a lot more than just dismissing it.

quote:

He has as much right to express his opinion as you do.

Great now he has already paid off the moderators....

Comments like this a detrimental to the team. Think about it. If he makes a protest to not build a new arena and it happens the magic will leave. He would have started this in the Orlando Magic Fan Forum. I think he must live in OK city. Im sure there praying for Orlando to fold so the magic move there or KC. So if this happens moderators i blame you!!

The arguments we have or opinion we have are in our thoughts ways to benifet the team. Axing the arena deal is in no way a benifet and in fact will make the team leave town and we will be fans of NO ONE!!!

If you would have actually read what average joe had do say, you would have noticed that he did not say no to a new arena. He said that using a huge amount of taxpayers dollars to build a new building, while the Magic sit back and rake in all the money, is not the best idea. In fact, the Magic should work closely with the City, and find a middle ground that is fair for both sides.

First he pays off the moderators now you WP????

Im going to scream!!!

Dangit magic win a game and no one will question the money being spent!!! We dont want no stinking parks we want pro sports....

Thats it im going back to my Miller Lite!!!!