Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Leadership

I have been reading alot of posts about the lack of leadership on our team and thought it warranted its own discussion.

Alot of people have been saying the Dwight Howard needs to step up and lead this team. I do not think that is necessarily true. First of all he is 21 years old and still has alot to learn about the game. Your best player does not need to be your leader. Remember what happened when management assumed T-Mac could lead this team, gave him the "C" and got rid of Darrell Armstrong. It was a disaster because he just does not have that personality. We need a Shane Battier type that is not afraid to get in guys faces and is your prototypical glue guy. Jameer does not seem to be mature enough to lead right now and it does not seem that Grant Hill can take it on either. They are both to inconsistent in what they are doing for guys to look up to them on the floor. You can win in spite of bad coaching but you need someone on the floor who will take accountability and get in guys faces. I really do not see anyone on this team who can take that role and I would hope on top of getting a wing guy this summer they get a leader type player to keep everyone together. Dwight seems to be the guy that will keep everyone loose, we just need someone else to tighten the reigns when need be.

I have been reading alot of posts about the lack of leadership on our team and thought it warranted its own discussion.

Alot of people have been saying the Dwight Howard needs to step up and lead this team. I do not think that is necessarily true. First of all he is 21 years old and still has alot to learn about the game. Your best player does not need to be your leader. Remember what happened when management assumed T-Mac could lead this team, gave him the "C" and got rid of Darrell Armstrong. It was a disaster because he just does not have that personality. We need a Shane Battier type that is not afraid to get in guys faces and is your prototypical glue guy. Jameer does not seem to be mature enough to lead right now and it does not seem that Grant Hill can take it on either. They are both to inconsistent in what they are doing for guys to look up to them on the floor. You can win in spite of bad coaching but you need someone on the floor who will take accountability and get in guys faces. I really do not see anyone on this team who can take that role and I would hope on top of getting a wing guy this summer they get a leader type player to keep everyone together. Dwight seems to be the guy that will keep everyone loose, we just need someone else to tighten the reigns when need be.

It should be either Bo Outlaw, Pat Garrity, or Tony Battie. These three have the most experience and should know what the everyones role is on this Magic team.

Grant's a pretty good leader if the players are to be believed. The lockerroom leaders are apparently Battie and Bo, but I have no personal proof of that statement.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:
JJ is our only Natural leader on the team, but it is hard to be a leader if you are always on the bench.........

Thats not true. What about Grant Hill?

Grant even admits he is not a vocal leader....plus it would help if he was not injured all the time, or when healthy not complaining about not starting.....

The only trade Otis should have done before the deadline, was to get a real leader in here. Someway, somehow he should have gotten D. Armstrong back. This would have made all the difference in the world to this leaderless team.

From what I have read about Grant he is more of a lead by example guy, not the type to get in someone's face and call them out when they are slacking.

I don't know if Battier is that type either but you can tell he has made a difference on that Houston team. Guys that do the dirty work are important. I think we have guys that can fill that role but with our young guys we need someone that will bark at them on the floor with them. Darrell used to do that, Sam Cassell does that...I never realized how hard it is to think of great leaders until I just tried to do it just now. It's a rare thing.

Off-topic, but what about D. Armstrong as a possible coach?

I tend to think that a leader doesn't have to be a "Michael Jordan"-in-your-face style leader to be effective, but it doesn't hurt, either. Especially on a young team where people can duck responsibility. That's one of the reasons I do like Jameer as a leader: he does take responsibility.

...He also takes too many shots.

Leading by example is irrelevant if you only play in every other game and no one knows when you are going to get hurt again. I do not think that Jameer laughing and taking ill-advised shots is the way to get people to buy in. Now if he was the one initiating the offense and getting everyone to space out and getting good shots for teammates than yes we would be effective but he is not.

Three of the names mentioned were Dukies and teher is a reason for that. Coach K demands that you become a leader especially when you are a captain and all three were. Coach K lead by example and expected his captains to do the same. They have no fear in directing players and I am sure they have no fear in asking and demanding that the players give there all. JJ is not a quitter and unless bhill stripped him of all his self pride he will always be a leader on what ever level thet allow him to have.