Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Does anyone know what Otis is up to?

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I'm having a Mind-Freak here (ok that was a stretch for the Magic pun but the effort was there). I'm really at a loss for words here. Overpaying is one thing, overpaying by that much is another, it doesn't even seem close. And we are throwing in a 2nd rounder? For what? We are out a PF, we have no more cap room and we have questions at the 2. On top of that we are capped out till 2013 so we are going to have to fill in the holes with the mid-level. I can understand building around core pieces but this is only going to work if Dwight accelerates really quickly and Rashard carries us in the meantime, not to mention that our PG's have to pick it up in a big way.

For a free agent signing day that we have all been waiting 2 yrs for it sure doesn't feel as happy as I pictured considering we got the guy we targeted.

The only thing that makes sense is that Otis got a conditional agreement with Rashard that involved a sign and trade with Seattle in order to get max money. Stating to the media that they had agreed on a six year deal for max money would not make sense because the only way to make that announcement was if they already had a deal with Seattle, and they did not.

That left Otis 10 days to find some kind of agreement with Seattle. Seattle might have felt that they had a chance at resigning Rashard if no deal came through.

I'm trying to make sense of it because it makes no sense. Seattle is going to the press saying they wanted to keep Rashard but not at that cost. Making Otis look even worse.

One things for sure, our window just got a lot smaller.

This is why I dont like ex-players making business decisions. First, they coasted through college, not going to class, and what not. 2nd, they have agents that handle all of their adult life business decisions. So really, where do they get off thinking they can run a multi-million dollar company? I want a GM that knows basketball, but also holds an MBA from the Wharton School of Business.

Seeing as it seems like we didnt get any of the expiring contracts pawned off on Seattle in a S/T... can we package their contracts up, trade them for future picks and recieve a trade exception for the amount of the contracts?

When MC reported that the Magic werent goin cheap.... Do you think he meant we are about to sign another guy or make some more moves, or is he thinking we are about to extend our unreliable, unproven, turnover prone, non passing, "all eyes on me" PG??? That would top off an incredibly stupid day of moves very well....

horse puckey I tell ya, simply horse puckey.

I think everyone is overreacting. I like what Otis has done. I would love to have Darko but its no big loss. With the other players developing, we should be in contention next year in the east. From New Guy on OM site.

the only plan was to sign a top perimeter scorer. He did that. Unfortunately it was linear and simple.....he lost darko and virtually all future room to maneuver.

I do have a question for anyone who might have a thought on it. Was losing Darko deliberate in a money-saving scheme? A friend told me he thought it was but I do not know how this would work.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

I'm trying to make sense of it because it makes no sense. Seattle is going to the press saying they wanted to keep Rashard but not at that cost. Making Otis look even worse.

I can see us having to outbid them to get him, I even understand overpaying to get him instead of not taking a risk but, this seems like we overpaid more than we had to. I could be wrong because I don't know what the other offers were but that is a ton of money for a long time.

Going over the cap is fine but limiting your options on what complementary pieces you can pick up is scary.

i agrre smack in my wildest dreams i never thought they would give up darko. it just doesnt make good sense. we will now be very week up front on defense and rebounding. it just puts more pressure on howard. i see foul troble for him being a big problem. what are we going to do at point. we wont be able to stop anyone. i am very disappointed when we surely should have done better. the money to lewis is a huge risk. does otis remember grant hill. how soon we forget. jacklj

He got 'Shard, but honestly I'd rather have Darko. ****. Oh, well. Hopefully it pays off next year, otherwise? Well, we're Magic fans and our team has not been good for a long, long time.

quote:
Originally posted by ATL_MagicFan:

I think everyone is overreacting. I like what Otis has done. I would love to have Darko but its no big loss. With the other players developing, we should be in contention next year in the east. From New Guy on OM site.

Really, no big loss??? I've heard that from a few people but that's just a bunch of garbage just to make Otis look good. We only have 3 bigs on the roster right now (Dwight, Battie and Auggie) and that leaves Battie and Howard to start and only Auggie coming off the bench. I really hate what he's done with the Magic's cap space this summer. Give Lewis all of the **** cap space we have leaving a huge gap in the bigs department. I hope he realizes that we have no room to sign anyone on the market now. I really hate how he's handled business so far this summer. I mean WTF! Call Lewis at 12:01 on July 1st but leave Darko out??? Take away is QO through email??? Then a whole week later send Dave to talk to Darko's camp??? WTF! Why didnt Otis talk to Lewis and let Dave talk to Darko's camp at the same time and let their plans be known.

Otis has done nothing but S.H.I.T this summer. I no longer have any faith in him unless he gets Darko back or brings in Fran TODAY!

I really hope that Darko goes to the Grizzles and shows everyone in the ******* Magic management up. I hope he shows up Gasol and becomes Memphis' franchise player.

Anyway... I am a Darko fan and I wish him nothing but the best. **** Otis and the Magic's stupid decisions.

This one tough day to figure out, I am extremely happy we got Rashard (Vince was the only other guy who would have made me happy).

Losing Darko plainly sucks though, I was a big fan of his but the team will not miss him as much for one reason only. We have Dwight!

Dwight is already the best center in the East at 21 (you heard me Shaq) and likely will be the best in the NBA by 24 when Rashard is in his prime.

What great bigs did Hakeem, Shaq or Duncan have with them on their championship teams? None did, but they all had wing scorers to open up the lane for them. Most had high energy, defensive PF's who could knock down a shot. Those are easier to find at much less money than what Darko wanted.

While I wanted the twin towers, if he is stuck on $9-10 mill to return then I have to question whether Darko is a winner or simply wants to get paid.

This is a setback for sure but not an insurmountable one. We still have Dwight, Ariza, JJ and Jameer to add Rashard too.

We still have our three expiring contracts which will only increase in value at the trade deadline when teams are looking clear space for next summer's FA class that includes Arenas.

I don't know why Otis felt he had to give Rashard the six year max, for all we know the Knicks and Rockets were still bidding the price up.

I don't like letting Darko walk for nothing, but am willing to give Otis the year to see how this roster works out and what he does around the trade deadline to fill holes with the expiring contracts we have.

quote from another forum. and basically how everyone thinks of us signing him to this much.

Kobe has a 7 year $136 million deal. 6 for $110 is awfully similar to that. For Rashard Lewis?! Another brilliant move from the Orlando Magic. I wonder if some of the same people who have selected the cover athlete for Madden also work in central Florida.

quote:
Originally posted by bhnole:

This one tough day to figure out, I am extremely happy we got Rashard (Vince was the only other guy who would have made me happy).

Losing Darko plainly sucks though, I was a big fan of his but the team will not miss him as much for one reason only. We have Dwight!

Dwight is already the best center in the East at 21 (you heard me Shaq) and likely will be the best in the NBA by 24 when Rashard is in his prime.

What great bigs did Hakeem, Shaq or Duncan have with them on their championship teams? None did, but they all had wing scorers to open up the lane for them. Most had high energy, defensive PF's who could knock down a shot. Those are easier to find at much less money than what Darko wanted.

While I wanted the twin towers, if he is stuck on $9-10 mill to return then I have to question whether Darko is a winner or simply wants to get paid.

This is a setback for sure but not an insurmountable one. We still have Dwight, Ariza, JJ and Jameer to add Rashard too.

We still have our three expiring contracts which will only increase in value at the trade deadline when teams are looking clear space for next summer's FA class that includes Arenas.

I don't know why Otis felt he had to give Rashard the six year max, for all we know the Knicks and Rockets were still bidding the price up.

I don't like letting Darko walk for nothing, but am willing to give Otis the year to see how this roster works out and what he does around the trade deadline to fill holes with the expiring contracts we have.

I agree, accept I actually think we have the chance to get better with out him. ......???

I know it seems far fetched but If he isn't going to be happy as a role player then he would have brought the team down, and it seems like or to me any way that he will get a money offer from us equal to what anyone else can offer, so it must be pride making him go, and we don't need that from the 7th best player on our team. He wasn't even a starter last year for crying out loud!!!

Second how do we get better with out him.

Easy we gring in a scrappier, more gritty player who will use up his fouls (at the right times)and bring some toughness to our team. Not meanness, but toughness. Some one who will know his place of a TEAM, some one who wants to win instead of become the next Dirk Nowitzki.

And that player is...

Cricket noises... UM...

Yea I'm stumped too, but I said I would try to put a positive spin on this so let' think of some one who could step in and help us out.