Sign in to follow this  
Drain-O

Is Rashard Overpaid?? No With Proof!!

I think more than a few people on the board and the national media have brought up that the Magic are overpaying for Rashard Lewis...

This got me thinking. I wonder what each player who averaged over 20 points a game for their team will make next season. Here is the list by scorer not salary...

1. Kobe Bryant: 19.5 m

2. Carmelo Anthony: 12.45 m

3. Gilbert Arenas: 11.95 m

4. Dwayne Wade: 12.45 m

5. Lebron James: 12.45 m

6. Michael Redd: 14.5 m

7. Ray Allen: 16 m

8. Allen Iverson: 20.1 m

9. Vince Carter: 15.5 m

10. Yao Ming: 13.3 m

11. Joe Johnson: 13.5 m

12. Paul Pierce: 16.4 m

13. Tracy McGrady: 19.0 m

14. Dirk Nowitski: 16.4 m

15. Zach Randolph: 13.3 m

16. Chris Bosh: 12.45 m

17. Kevin Garnett: 22 m

18. Rashard Lewis: 12.93 m

19. Ben Gordon: 4.9 m

20. Carlos Boozer: 11.59 m

21. Pau Gasol: 13.7 m

22. Elton Brand: 15.3 m

23. Amare: 13.26 m

24. Kevin Martin: 1.8 m

25. Baron Davis: 16.4 m

26. Tim Duncan: 19.1 m

Now taking out power forwards/centers here is the list by salary...

1. Iverson: 20.1 m

2. Bryant: 19.5 m

3. McGrady: 19 m

4. Pierce: 16.4 m

5. Davis: 16.4 m

6. Allen: 16 m

7. Carter: 15.5 m

8. Redd: 14.5 m

9. Johnson: 13.5 m

10. Lewis: 12.92 m

11. Anthony: 12.45 m

12. Wade: 12.45 m

13. James: 12.45 m

14. Arenas: 11.95 m

15. Gordon: 4.9 m

16. Martin: 1.8 m

Arenas is about to opt out and vault up.

Gordon and Martin are still on their rookie contract and will be making near max money in a year.

James, Wade, and Anthony are making the max allowable according to the CBA.

If the reports are true and Rashard was signed for say 5/75 than to me it actually looks like a pretty good deal and is right on target with what you need to pay for scoring in the NBA.

This has nothing to do with Darko or Nelson or Arroyo or anyone else. It simply has to do with what Lewis will make in relation to other scorers. Scoring comes at a premium and it looks to me like Otis got his at a pretty good rate.

Also you cannot just get good players who can score 20-30 night for cheap. If that player could do that on a consistent basis they would be on the list above.

I think more than a few people on the board and the national media have brought up that the Magic are overpaying for Rashard Lewis...

This got me thinking. I wonder what each player who averaged over 20 points a game for their team will make next season. Here is the list by scorer not salary...

1. Kobe Bryant: 19.5 m

2. Carmelo Anthony: 12.45 m

3. Gilbert Arenas: 11.95 m

4. Dwayne Wade: 12.45 m

5. Lebron James: 12.45 m

6. Michael Redd: 14.5 m

7. Ray Allen: 16 m

8. Allen Iverson: 20.1 m

9. Vince Carter: 15.5 m

10. Yao Ming: 13.3 m

11. Joe Johnson: 13.5 m

12. Paul Pierce: 16.4 m

13. Tracy McGrady: 19.0 m

14. Dirk Nowitski: 16.4 m

15. Zach Randolph: 13.3 m

16. Chris Bosh: 12.45 m

17. Kevin Garnett: 22 m

18. Rashard Lewis: 12.93 m

19. Ben Gordon: 4.9 m

20. Carlos Boozer: 11.59 m

21. Pau Gasol: 13.7 m

22. Elton Brand: 15.3 m

23. Amare: 13.26 m

24. Kevin Martin: 1.8 m

25. Baron Davis: 16.4 m

26. Tim Duncan: 19.1 m

Now taking out power forwards/centers here is the list by salary...

1. Iverson: 20.1 m

2. Bryant: 19.5 m

3. McGrady: 19 m

4. Pierce: 16.4 m

5. Davis: 16.4 m

6. Allen: 16 m

7. Carter: 15.5 m

8. Redd: 14.5 m

9. Johnson: 13.5 m

10. Lewis: 12.92 m

11. Anthony: 12.45 m

12. Wade: 12.45 m

13. James: 12.45 m

14. Arenas: 11.95 m

15. Gordon: 4.9 m

16. Martin: 1.8 m

Arenas is about to opt out and vault up.

Gordon and Martin are still on their rookie contract and will be making near max money in a year.

James, Wade, and Anthony are making the max allowable according to the CBA.

If the reports are true and Rashard was signed for say 5/75 than to me it actually looks like a pretty good deal and is right on target with what you need to pay for scoring in the NBA.

This has nothing to do with Darko or Nelson or Arroyo or anyone else. It simply has to do with what Lewis will make in relation to other scorers. Scoring comes at a premium and it looks to me like Otis got his at a pretty good rate.

Also you cannot just get good players who can score 20-30 night for cheap. If that player could do that on a consistent basis they would be on the list above.

If it remains at 5-75 I can accept that. I like that Rashard is a player on the up and in the latter part of the season past he showed that he is taking his game to another level. I think it was right for us to act on Lewis and I'm comfortable with that amount if it turns out to be.

i agree that you have to pay up for a good scorer, but i hate to break the news, but rashard isnt going to average 25ppg, much less 30. he may average 21 a game his first season here. its going to take time to get used to being the main option. he has never had the other teams best defender guarding him...secondly, even if he does average what he did last year(22), it could be completely negated by darko(8) and turk(14) leaving. and turks per game average doesnt indicate what he can do...he was having 30 point games at the end of the season. oh by the way, the majority of the people on that list mentioned are better scorers, and a lot of them bring something else to the table aside from offense. i would take most of them over rashard...in my opinion, this thread doesnt argue in favor of rashard, but against him...

if you want to make him seem worth the money, put together a youtube clip of him making all blocked shots and good defensive stops, because thats where the liability is.

let me just say(since i sound pessimistic in the last post) that i hope to god that shard averages as close to 30ppg next year as possible. that would give us a real shot at the ecf. especially if we retain darko.

quote:
Originally posted by murphy13:

let me just say(since i sound pessimistic in the last post) that i hope to god that shard averages as close to 30ppg next year as possible. that would give us a real shot at the ecf. especially if we retain darko.

This thread has nothing to do with expecting 30 ppg out of Shard. Your two previous posts are absolutely rediculous, and I am not even going to both explaining why.

Good list, I agree that in the NBA just like business, you need to spend money in order to make money. This was a good investment.

He doesn't need to average 30ppg and try to carry a team like Kobe etc. All he needs to do is open up the floor for Dwight. That should up Dwight's point production a bit more which basically balances everything out. Him providing a bit more athleticism and ability to finish around the hoop adds more gravy to the whole package.

And stop it with the defense, even Bruce Bowen can't guard a whole team. Defense is all about teammates covering for each other.

Can't really believe people being hyped so much with Phoenix when they themselves do not play defense. No offense to the Suns lovers here, but I hope you get my point.

quote:

i agree that you have to pay up for a good scorer, but i hate to break the news, but rashard isnt going to average 25ppg, much less 30. he may average 21 a game his first season here. its going to take time to get used to being the main option. he has never had the other teams best defender guarding him...secondly, even if he does average what he did last year(22), it could be completely negated by darko(8) and turk(14) leaving. and turks per game average doesnt indicate what he can do...he was having 30 point games at the end of the season. oh by the way, the majority of the people on that list mentioned are better scorers, and a lot of them bring something else to the table aside from offense. i would take most of them over rashard...in my opinion, this thread doesnt argue in favor of rashard, but against him...

if you want to make him seem worth the money, put together a youtube clip of him making all blocked shots and good defensive stops, because thats where the liability is.

Based on your theory, the Lakers could trade Kobe Bryant (31.6 PPG) for Ricky Davis (17 PPG) and Earl Boykins (14.6 PPG), and not lose any offensive production. Okay.

quote:

Many of you Rashard haters dont realize he averaged 22ppg under Ray allen's 26ppg. He was their second scoring option. Im not saying he is going to average 30ppg but im sure he could average 25ppg with the magic especially since we lost grant

quote:
its going to take time to get used to being the main option. he has never had the other teams best defender guarding him

If you go back and look at the last 15 games of the season where Ray Allen was injured.

By a quick glance you can easily see that Rashards Lewis's scoring numbers are higher then 22ppg average he had.

Im quite sure those teams put there best defenders on him during that time.

Can he be a teams 1st option? Without a doubt he can.

Now im not going to say he will average 25ppg this year becuase I dont think the Magic will need him to do that. Having Hedo, Howard, and Nelson will take care of the offense we need

I do think Lewis has the ability to average 25ppg if he had to.

Lewis, was needed this year when our offense sputtered in the 4th and couldnt get things going.

having him this will prevent that and give us the consistant offense we needed. Especially in tight games when we needed a goto guy.