Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

SmackDaddy Confidential (Sorry MC)

It's reported that we're signing Shard outright and renouncing Darko.

I love this move. I love it because it's bold and at the same time doesn't carry much risk.

Let me explain this to you guys that are curious about what just happened.

Basically, Otis got the most coveted of all Free Agents. Now that he has taken care of priority number one, we get to see how everything else falls into place.

Originaly, it was reported that Darko was priority number one. That was until Darko's agent decided to go public with his disappointment about not being contacted by Magic brass. That was also before reporrts surfaced that Darko was looking to get 10 million per season. With Darko getting that size contract, the Magic would be very hard pressed to bring in another big name player without pulling off a couple of trades to clear cap space or a sign and trade with Seattle. And sign and trade scenarios with Seattle could have been too costly (would you trade Jameer/JJ/Ariza for Rashard if you didn't need to?)

With Otis thumbing his nose at Seattle and Darko's agent, he has essentially increased the amount of opportunities that exist for the Magic. We can still sign Darko. He is only an unrestricted free agent, but he is still our free agent to lose. For us to lose Darko, another team will need to pony up a large sum of money. Or, we can still sign and trade Darko for another player (Darko for Wallace anyone?)

The other group of opportunities has nothing to do with Darko. We could let him walk which would still leave us with appx 6-7 million in cap space (Rashard's first year will likely be 12-13 million). If we let Darko walk and have cap space, we can use that cap space to sign a replacement PF. or, we could still use some of our 2007-2008 expiring contracts (Garrity, Bogans, Dooling, Arroyo) to clear a substantial amount of cap space to land another big name free agent (Billups anyone?)

We could do all three! There's a slim chance, but we could sign Rashard, sign and trade Darko to get Wallace and then clear cap to land Chauncey.

Regardless, we still have other options like Pietrus, Nocioni, Mo Williams (among others) that we could still obtain.

Frankly, I was hoping that Otis would go this route. With Darko's cap hold, he could have held us over the fire for weeks to get a big salary while other free agents were making decisions to sign elsewhere. By forcing the issue, Otis has now put Orlando squarely in the mix and made Orlando a more attractive destination for players that find motivation in playing along side Dwight, Shard, etc.

The etc. part of that last sentence is what makes this doubly interesting. We haven't lost Ariza, JJ, Turk, or any other player besides possibly Darko and we have just improved drastically. Don't forget, we can still sign Darko and go over the cap because he is OUR free agent. If that happens, we then move a few expiring salaries to get back down below the cap.

Great move Otis! Brilliant!

It's reported that we're signing Shard outright and renouncing Darko.

I love this move. I love it because it's bold and at the same time doesn't carry much risk.

Let me explain this to you guys that are curious about what just happened.

Basically, Otis got the most coveted of all Free Agents. Now that he has taken care of priority number one, we get to see how everything else falls into place.

Originaly, it was reported that Darko was priority number one. That was until Darko's agent decided to go public with his disappointment about not being contacted by Magic brass. That was also before reporrts surfaced that Darko was looking to get 10 million per season. With Darko getting that size contract, the Magic would be very hard pressed to bring in another big name player without pulling off a couple of trades to clear cap space or a sign and trade with Seattle. And sign and trade scenarios with Seattle could have been too costly (would you trade Jameer/JJ/Ariza for Rashard if you didn't need to?)

With Otis thumbing his nose at Seattle and Darko's agent, he has essentially increased the amount of opportunities that exist for the Magic. We can still sign Darko. He is only an unrestricted free agent, but he is still our free agent to lose. For us to lose Darko, another team will need to pony up a large sum of money. Or, we can still sign and trade Darko for another player (Darko for Wallace anyone?)

The other group of opportunities has nothing to do with Darko. We could let him walk which would still leave us with appx 6-7 million in cap space (Rashard's first year will likely be 12-13 million). If we let Darko walk and have cap space, we can use that cap space to sign a replacement PF. or, we could still use some of our 2007-2008 expiring contracts (Garrity, Bogans, Dooling, Arroyo) to clear a substantial amount of cap space to land another big name free agent (Billups anyone?)

We could do all three! There's a slim chance, but we could sign Rashard, sign and trade Darko to get Wallace and then clear cap to land Chauncey.

Regardless, we still have other options like Pietrus, Nocioni, Mo Williams (among others) that we could still obtain.

Frankly, I was hoping that Otis would go this route. With Darko's cap hold, he could have held us over the fire for weeks to get a big salary while other free agents were making decisions to sign elsewhere. By forcing the issue, Otis has now put Orlando squarely in the mix and made Orlando a more attractive destination for players that find motivation in playing along side Dwight, Shard, etc.

The etc. part of that last sentence is what makes this doubly interesting. We haven't lost Ariza, JJ, Turk, or any other player besides possibly Darko and we have just improved drastically. Don't forget, we can still sign Darko and go over the cap because he is OUR free agent. If that happens, we then move a few expiring salaries to get back down below the cap.

Great move Otis! Brilliant!

Nice article Smack..... I also have a feeling that we may have a deal in place to get Fran... That would be a big reason to not make Darko our first choice....

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

Nice article Smack..... I also have a feeling that we may have a deal in place to get Fran... That would be a big reason to not make Darko our first choice....

Nice catch Rich. I forgot to include that valuable piece of insight. Thanks for picking up the slack for Smack.

I still haven't had my third cup of coffee yet so I'm a little groggy.

OK, let me get this straight. We're taking a chance on losing Darko, who I would remind you we traded our #1 draft pick this year for, for NOTHING. ZERO. NADA. ZILCH. This is a "brilliant" move??? Why didn't we just keep our draft pick and not take Darko in the first place?

And look at our front court without Darko. How do you spell "THIN"?? We're going to depend on Fran Vasquez??

Anyone could lose Darko for nothing, no special GM talent required for that. I thought Otis was gonna come up with something more creative.

I'm still hoping this works out better than it's shaping up so far.

Smack, I'm sitting here just LMAO! I was heading out the door but I had to respond to this thread before I go.

Thanks for sharing the light Smack. We need one of our resident business experts to break it down for all of us physical education majors.(lol)

Alright guys he's here. Ask away and I'm sure Smack will enlighten you with his insider knowledge from Otis.

By the way, I know Smack is chugging down the coffee cause I woke him up early this morning on his cell.

Sorry, Smack!(lol)

Smack you finally took my advice that I gave you at the beginning of the season.

Good read ...

I hope to see more of these from you ...

Looks like you might be our new future INSIDER

First of all, I dont see us losing Darko, it is either that the Magic are calling his bluff on his numbers and number of interested teams, or it will be that we do work him into a sign and trade - for us to just outright "lose Darko" right now is just not going to happen.

There are several scenarios still out there, and wouldnt go as far to say that Otis is going to just throw all those scenarios out the window.

If Darko is no longer in a Magic Uni next season, which I believe he will be, dont think that after all the smart moves we have made that we would be so stupid to just let him walk while getting nuthin from it.

For now...hes still in the banner, Hill has essentailly walked off it, and now a "Welcome Shard!"

quote:
Originally posted by JJZ:

OK, let me get this straight. We're taking a chance on losing Darko, who I would remind you we traded our #1 draft pick this year for, for NOTHING. ZERO. NADA. ZILCH. This is a "brilliant" move??? Why didn't we just keep our draft pick and not take Darko in the first place?

And look at our front court without Darko. How do you spell "THIN"?? We're going to depend on Fran Vasquez??

Anyone could lose Darko for nothing, no special GM talent required for that. I thought Otis was gonna come up with something more creative.

An all-star forward that scores 22 points per game is a great consolation prize in my opinion.

Did you read what I wrote above? We still have an opportunity to extend Darko and go over the cap or use the cap space to sign another player!!!

We have so many options at our disposal now. Had we put Darko's contract first on the list, it is very likely that we get nothing but Darko by the time that gets resolved.

Let me ask you this...Do you think Darko's worth 10 million per season?

quote:

I think part of the brilliance of what Otis is doing is that he is calling the bluff of Darko's agent. Darko's agent says half the league is interested and that he has very attractive sign and trade offers available for Darko. It very rare that an agent works this hard through the media for his client. Even if unrestricted the Magic still hold Darko's bird rights so no one can offer him more money. Essentially Darko would be taking less money to move on on his own accord. Otis knows this and the agent is trying to get him to bite but he is not falling for it.

quote:

You probably pay full sticker price for that shiny new car on the lot don't you?

This is all about negotiations and having the upper hand. Otis just put Orlando back on the NBA map and you're crying about a #2 draft pick who's been outplayed by second round draft picks for the last 3 years.

And as Dude pointed out, we haven't lost Darko yet. We can sign him, trade him, or God forbid we lose him, it's still not for nothing because it will leave us with cap space (money to spend on another player).