Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2024 NBA Trade Deadline Thread

Screw it, I'm creating a thread for discussion on all the deals that are rumoured or happen in the next couple of days. Think it might be easier because when deals start happening on deadline day the thread can move pretty fast and easier to go back through just a handful of pages to catch-up than navigate the season thread and it's likely 120+ pages.

As a reminder the trade deadline closes at 3PM ET on Feb 8 so 2 days from now. 

Will the Magic make a trade? Who will they trade for? What will they give up? We'll find out shortly. 

As a reminder for any hypothetical trades the Magic have some cap space available for absorbing contracts without sending matching salary out (~6m), we have all our own first round picks, the 2025 Den pick, a 2026 pick swap with the lesser of Suns/Wiz and some unreasonable number of 2nd round picks. 

I would be SHOCKED if we made a trade at this point. Locker room culture is the key and if we're healthy, the "death lineup" is certainly scary and arguably one of the best in the league. Guys care about each other in the locker room, and I just don't think Weltman is going to change something midseason that could affect the young team's close-knit spirit. 

No way they’re dealt

Paolo, Franz, Suggs

Attractive expirings 

Fultz ($17 million), Harris ($13 million), Okeke ($6 million)

Picks

our own through 2029

Nuggets 2025 1st, top 5 protected 

2026 1st has swap rights with Phoenix and Washington. Washington has the right to swap firsts with Phoenix and then we can swap ours with the pick Washington takes if it’s higher

22 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I would be SHOCKED if we made a trade at this point. Locker room culture is the key and if we're healthy, the "death lineup" is certainly scary and arguably one of the best in the league. Guys care about each other in the locker room, and I just don't think Weltman is going to change something midseason that could affect the young team's close-knit spirit. 

I lean towards this... But also, a guy like Chuma Okeke isn't going to be here next season anyway so why not move him for something if you can? 

And then with the open roster spot and capspace we have you could add someone on a small deal. 

I think everyone, myself included, would like something bigger but I think there's still scope for small moves like this. 

33 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Locker room chemistry only gets you so far.. We have to look at the bigger picture and take opportunities. What position is a need going forward. Can we improve there during the draft? Can we get a FA? 

Indiana is also doing proactive business. They took a chance at Siakam, knowing getting him in FA was going to be tougher than via trade. Same for OG Anonuby. 

We are in the same place. We have looked at certain players long enough, to know if they will help us win in the playoffs. 

Cole went straight to the block for me. I was reluctant to trade him because of his locker room presence. But i wouldn’t hesitate if he’d be traded for the right piece. He hurts us on the floor more than he helps us in the locker room. 

G. Harris, Cole, Okeke, Houstan and even Bitadze would be on the block for the right piece. Bitadze is controversial, but if Atlanta would insist on Bitadze in a Murray deal, i wouldn’t bark at all

• Upvote 3

Team chemistry is a bs narrative. Winning is the goal not the greatest team full of friends. If they don’t do anything or some meaningless move then my accusations of this management not demanding winning above ALL else will be affirmed. 

• Upvote 1

I’ll get grilled for this but here we go

Trade 1 

Orlando receives Klay Thompson, Moses Moody

Golden State receives Cole Anthony, Markelle Fultz, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke

Trade 2

Orlando receives Tyus Jones

Washington receives Gary Harris, 2024 1st lottery protected

Lineup

Suggs/Tyus

Klay/AB/Jett

Franz/Moody

Paolo/JI

WCJ/Moe/Goga

11 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I’ll get grilled for this but here we go

Trade 1 

Orlando receives Klay Thompson, Moses Moody

Golden State receives Cole Anthony, Markelle Fultz, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke

Trade 2

Orlando receives Tyus Jones

Washington receives Gary Harris, 2024 1st lottery protected

Lineup

Suggs/Tyus

Klay/AB/Jett

Franz/Moody

Paolo/JI

WCJ/Moe/Goga

Do Golden State do that first one? They get basically nothing of substantial value for a franchise legend. And actually give up the best young player in the trade.

The second trade is fine but a first round pick is a bit rich for me for an expiring backup PG.

5 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Do Golden State do that first one? They get basically nothing of substantial value for a franchise legend. And actually give up the best young player in the trade.

The second trade is fine but a first round pick is a bit rich for me for an expiring backup PG.

Klay has been rough this year, it’d probably take more, but just playing games with the trade machine. It’s also a no risk move since he’s a massive expiring himself. I agree that Moody is the best young player in that trade, but Kerr isn’t playing him. I think Fultz is kind of a perfect backcourt mate to Steph

Agreed on it being rich for Tyus but we’re not the only suitor so we might have to overpay. The thought is the two trades together, I don’t think either makes sense without the other.

Took me until midseason, but finally bought NBA 2K24, it’s 70% off in the PS Store

So consider this a warning that my trade ideas might only get worse if I can pull off some video game Magic :)

We won't do it, and I don't know if I'm just in my feelings about how bad we lost to a ****ty Heat team, but a couple talking heads pitched us as a team for Trae Young, and honestly, why not?

Fultz, Jett, Gary Harris, Caleb Houstan, our 2024 pick, the Denver pick, our protected 2026 pick, the Suns pick swap for Trae Young and Garrison Matthews (we need both shooting and to fill out roster back up after trading away 4 guys)

30m in expiring salary 

2 prospects (one lottery pick rookie)

3 picks and a swap

Is that enough? Who knows. Does it matter? No I have zero belief we'd make a move like this anyway. 

Trae gets a bad rep for his play style and how small he is which is fair. But name another 25 year old who's been the best player on a conference finals team that we could even remotely be in the conversation for.