Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2024 NBA Draft Thread

1 hour ago, Shine88 said:

Balljunkie is going through it right now. I think Kentucky is going to have a hard time with life after Cal. Whatever coach they get isn't going to be able to recruit at the level of Cal. They can say goodbye to all those top 5 recruiting classes. Kentucky will be more of a transfer portal school now.

I think Cal will find that balance with the high school recruiting classes and transfer portal and dominate the SEC at Arkansas.

I think Kentucky could actually have just as much success as a more conventional recruiting school honestly. Cal hasn't had a final 4 team since KAT/Booker. Now that already good/great teams can recruit the best upperclassmen transfers it's so much harder to win with freshman.

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think Kentucky could actually have just as much success as a more conventional recruiting school honestly. Cal hasn't had a final 4 team since KAT/Booker. Now that already good/great teams can recruit the best upperclassmen transfers it's so much harder to win with freshman.

It's going to take a while, though. I bet Arkansas has more success than Kentucky over the next five year.

7 minutes ago, Shine88 said:

It's going to take a while, though. I bet Arkansas has more success than Kentucky over the next five year.

I don’t know who they’ll get but I think it is unlikely they don’t shell out to hire a very good coach. They’ll probably be fine

3 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

I don’t know who they’ll get but I think it is unlikely they don’t shell out to hire a very good coach. They’ll probably be fine

Looks like they are getting Dan Hurley, which is pretty nice for them.. 

13 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Looks like they are getting Dan Hurley, which is pretty nice for them.. 

Doubt Dan Hurley leaves UConn. They just won back to back national championships after all.

On 3/8/2024 at 9:10 AM, Natesroom said:

Since our team has gone all in on pounding the paint, i think at 22 maybe even Zach Edey might be worth it. I think we can shore up our shooting and PG over the summer. Possibly target Dangelo Russel.

An offseason of Edey @ 7-4 as backup Center and Dlo free agent would be a phenomenal offseason for me. One of our 2 biggest issues, is Oppenets FG% at the rim, and our Shooting. these would help with both of those.

11 minutes ago, Natesroom said:

An offseason of Edey @ 7-4 as backup Center and Dlo free agent would be a phenomenal offseason for me. One of our 2 biggest issues, is Oppenets FG% at the rim, and our Shooting. these would help with both of those.

Edey would actually be interesting. He sets mean screens. But that would imply that WCJ moves to the bench, because Edey is a bad fit with our bench unit. M. Wagner has become our go to post player, he does it well. 

But would WCJ be open to move to the bench unit? I kinda doubt that. 

And in that case i’d like Claxton in FA more

18 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Edey would actually be interesting. He sets mean screens. But that would imply that WCJ moves to the bench, because Edey is a bad fit with our bench unit. M. Wagner has become our go to post player, he does it well. 

But would WCJ be open to move to the bench unit? I kinda doubt that. 

And in that case i’d like Claxton in FA more

Nic Claxton wouldnt be a bad choice but his contract is looking like an 18-20 mil a year, I'd rather draft a 7'4" player who dropped 25+ points a game in college, wont get bodied out of the post like WCJ and Goga and would only cost us 2 mil a year for 2 years... and as a late lottery or early second round pick i doubt he starts on day 1

I said speculatively a few days ago that I might have to start considering Zach Edey's production because of this draft class. And then I saw others suggesting drafting him and immediately recoiled. So I guess now I know that I definitely don't want us to draft him.

My kinda hot take is Jalen Bridges should be in contention for a first round pick and not only that but he should be someone the Magic really look long and hard at.

He's 6'7+, he shoots the ball not just as a stationary shooter but off of movement and off the dribble and he plays defense. 

Of course the lack of track record as an outright elite shooter before his senior year is a concern and he'll be 23 before he plays an NBA game. But if you believe the jumper is real, and I do, he seems like he has a real chance to stick in the league.