Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

13 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Sounds like Embiid will be questionable tomorrow night for injury maintenance, but Maxey is back 

I expect Embiid to play. The 76ers have done some really weird stuff with injury reporting this season. 

mosley better bring all his trick in the bag. this is playoff basketball already.

wishing a great game for kelle, that would be poetic justice.

I want to see more of AB to slow down maxey

On 4/11/2024 at 10:37 AM, All Eyes On Me said:

Serious question tho Albert… with the current talent disparity on this team and Franz out injured, what’s the alternative if we’re hoping to compete. I agree with you that we’re more effective when we can run, but teams aren’t letting us, we’re not doing a great job forcing turnovers and we’re doing a horrible job on the defensive glass. Our half court offense has to be “let Paolo cook” because we simply don’t have guys that can create in the half court other than Paolo and Franz. Our struggles over the last couple weeks we saw coming a mile away and it’s why the vast majority of us were so upset when we didn’t do anything at the trade deadline. I’m trying not to bury us this season, but if we somehow wind up fully collapsing and missing the play-in, this season went from being an overwhelming success to a meh…

I’m a silver linings guy most of the time, so if we wind up in the play-in and win, that’s more games! Woo! Also, recent struggles make me more confident that Weltman and Parker will actually make a move this off-season.

This is one of your rare posts that I disagree with.  I pointed out recently how Harris, during one of our losses, despite starting and playing 30 minutes, only got 3 shots the whole game (and hit two of them, both three pointers).  Giving the ball to Paulo at the top of the key and hoping he can ISO against all five of the other team is not a winning strategy.  Great players make the other players on their teams better, not worse.  Our only chance is to play better team basketball and run plays to open players up for shots.  The idea that everyone else besides Paulo sucks and therefore he has to have the ball in his hands all the time doesn’t fly from my standpoint.  I see it as an excuse to explain bad offensive execution.  

Add:  by the way, when you look at our last three losses, Paulo had the worst +\- of anyone on our team for two of the three (-19, -20).  So it’s not exactly like he’s making us way better when he’s out there.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

This is one of your rare posts that I disagree with.  I pointed out recently how Harris, during one of our losses, despite starting and playing 30 minutes, only got 3 shots the whole game (and hit two of them, both three pointers).  Giving the ball to Paulo at the top of the key and hoping he can ISO against all five of the other team is not a winning strategy.  Great players make the other players on their teams better, not worse.  Our only chance is to play better team basketball and run plays to open players up for shots.  The idea that everyone else besides Paulo sucks and therefore he has to have the ball in his hands all the time doesn’t fly from my standpoint.  I see it as an excuse to explain bad offensive execution.  

I guess we can’t have a 100% track record lol but I do appreciate the conversation. I guess my point isn’t that everyone sucks, but more so that nobody can really pass on this team and it makes us easy to collapse on. Gary is only going to shoot if he’s wide open and he’s not going to create his own shot or set somebody up for a shot. Same with Suggs, obviously same with Wendell. It’s extremely possible that we’re letting Paolo be the main distributor in the half court as a developmental thing, kind of like hiding Jett from real competition all year. It’s not a winning strategy at all, but I think it’s what we’re stuck with for the rest of this year until roster improvements are made, so maybe I’m just trying to mentally prepare myself haha.

36 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I guess we can’t have a 100% track record lol but I do appreciate the conversation. I guess my point isn’t that everyone sucks, but more so that nobody can really pass on this team and it makes us easy to collapse on. Gary is only going to shoot if he’s wide open and he’s not going to create his own shot or set somebody up for a shot. Same with Suggs, obviously same with Wendell. It’s extremely possible that we’re letting Paolo be the main distributor in the half court as a developmental thing, kind of like hiding Jett from real competition all year. It’s not a winning strategy at all, but I think it’s what we’re stuck with for the rest of this year until roster improvements are made, so maybe I’m just trying to mentally prepare myself haha.

JJ Redick wasn’t a great one on one player either but he got more that 3 shots per game.  My point is that we need team offense to make everyone better, not give it to Franz/Paulo and have everyone else standing around  watching. Adding more shooters to the roster won’t help if we can’t figure out ways to get them decent looks.

I appreciate the conversation also.  We agree about 99% of the time but it probably makes for more interesting discussion when we don’t.  

We are 7-8 point underdogs for tonight.  It’s hard to see how we win this game the way we’ve been playing lately, but stranger things have certainly happened.  

20 minutes ago, JJZFL said:

JJ Redick wasn’t a great one on one player either but he got more that 3 shots per game.  My point is that we need team offense to make everyone better, not give it to Franz/Paulo and have everyone else standing around  watching. Adding more shooters to the roster won’t help if we can’t figure out ways to get them decent looks.

I appreciate the conversation also.  We agree about 99% of the time but it probably makes for more interesting discussion when we don’t.  

We are 7-8 point underdogs for tonight.  It’s hard to see how we win this game the way we’ve been playing lately, but stranger things have certainly happened.  

I see your point on team basketball being neglected for sure. I think we need a playmaking guard more than a guard that can shoot.

im actually happy to be an underdog tonight. We were favorites in 4 of our last 5 losses

3 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I want to see some effort on defense by Paolo. 

Thats the number one reason we lose games for sure……lol

I can't wait for the game. I just hope the Magic players can approach the game with the focus and intensity that is required. It's not what we saw in the last few games, but tonight is another opportunity to redeem  that. 

Is there any news about Franz, GH, JI?

And it's also true that when you're able to step back and stare the long term and what's ahead of this team with two 21 and 22 year old stars, you feel pretty good about it. But that's something to think about when the season is over, today what matters is approaching the game in the right ways. And if it's possible, to win it. 

22 minutes ago, Phil4Real said:

I can't wait for the game. I just hope the Magic players can approach the game with the focus and intensity that is required. It's not what we saw in the last few games, but tonight is another opportunity to redeem  that. 

Is there any news about Franz, GH, JI?

And it's also true that when you're able to step back and stare the long term and what's ahead of this team with two 21 and 22 year old stars, you feel pretty good about it. But that's something to think about when the season is over, today what matters is approaching the game in the right ways. And if it's possible, to win it. 

I’m pretty sure Harris and Isaac aren’t even on the injury list. Franz is questionable and we should know about 2 hours before tip if he’s in