Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

the number of mistakes paolo gets away with and not being sat out is ridiculous!

Its crazy is this bec he is dubbed by mose as our star?  So what quote sucks

I need my upvotes back paolo, you caused me -5 bec you got away last win, and forum judged me I guess

He makes more mistakes than rights!

Could not even buy time with low star team usa 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Horrible game. Can't believe we were even in it. Franz and Paolo were both terrible irrespective of what the box score says. The spacing is horrendous and I think they're both visibly frustrated by that. 

Suggs best game of the season, Isaac good again. AB had flashes. Mo was Mo for all (the good and bad) that entails. 

Joe Ingles being +27 is a head scratcher. My only explanation is that the Hawks targeted him too much and it got them out of their offensive rhythm. 

Mose opting to switch everything when we had Mo Wagner and Joe Ingles in the game and they had Trae Young on a heater was... Interesting.

The offense isn't good enough to beat good teams. It just isn't. Against bad teams or tired teams we will out work and out defend our way to wins but against good teams who find ways to score in spite of your defense we just don't have enough guns to win a fire fight. Especially when we're leaving 10 points at the free throw line. (Why the ***** is Paolo taking technical FTs in this game? Stupid.)

Without Wendell we were always going to struggle to contain the good pick and roll guards at the point of attack. I expect Dame will torch us on Saturday night.

Also Goga was playing well I thought. Being a big nuisance inside. Why did we not see him more in the second half? 

And finally, Chuma Okeke played 2 minutes in this game and I still have no idea why both he and Caleb Houstan have seen real NBA minutes this season but Jett Howard hasn't. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

. (Why the ***** is Paolo taking technical FTs in this game? Stupid.)

probably coach said “You can be whatever you want to be, you are brilliant, don’t let anybody tell you”

Anybody here who plays basketball knows that these opportunities are EARNED.

One more thing while it's on my mind. I've been a big Fultz believer for a long time but I think it might be time to move on. 

There was a possession in that second half where Fultz had a ludicrously wide open 3 point shot off a kick out from Paolo and he dribbled into a contested 18 footer that he missed. You just can't win with your PG doing things like that, for all the good he offers. 

Like sure Anthony Black at present doesn't space the floor, but at least when he's open in the corner he's taking them. And so far he's making them. And if he keeps that up consistently teams will at least close out on him hard in the corner and give us a little more space in the paint. 

Markelle doesn't even look at the rim from 3 95% of the time. 

I'd be seriously considering calling Washington to ask what they want for Tyus Jones. We won't do it because he's 6'0 and we care too much about defense but a low turnover PG who spaces the floor would really be quite nice to add to this team who are 24th in the league in turnovers and 27th in the league in 3P%.

• Downvote 1

can someone tell me why this game is counted as our "home" game? it's not as if we still have gustavo ayon on our team. i'm sure if this is on our HC, we win.

so sad Atlanta will now only visit O 1 last time.

Would we all be this down if Paolo had made that 3 at the end of the game? I didn't watch the game but I'm curious if we're overreacting because of the L and how the narrative would change on this board (as it always does) when it's a W instead. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

One more thing while it's on my mind. I've been a big Fultz believer for a long time but I think it might be time to move on. 

There was a possession in that second half where Fultz had a ludicrously wide open 3 point shot off a kick out from Paolo and he dribbled into a contested 18 footer that he missed. You just can't win with your PG doing things like that, for all the good he offers. 

Like sure Anthony Black at present doesn't space the floor, but at least when he's open in the corner he's taking them. And so far he's making them. And if he keeps that up consistently teams will at least close out on him hard in the corner and give us a little more space in the paint. 

Markelle doesn't even look at the rim from 3 95% of the time. 

I'd be seriously considering calling Washington to ask what they want for Tyus Jones. We won't do it because he's 6'0 and we care too much about defense but a low turnover PG who spaces the floor would really be quite nice to add to this team who are 24th in the league in turnovers and 27th in the league in 3P%.

I'm in agreement here. If Suggs/Wagner/Paolo/WCJ can't hit 3's with consistency, the PG is the easiest place to look to find someone to stretch the floor. 

If the team continues the losing trajectory management will be forced to do something. 

24 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I'm in agreement here. If Suggs/Wagner/Paolo/WCJ can't hit 3's with consistency, the PG is the easiest place to look to find someone to stretch the floor. 

If the team continues the losing trajectory management will be forced to do something. 

I'm not too worried about Franz shooting really think he's just in a slump.

Suggs I'm willing to give longer to improve for now because he's been so impactful defensively this season and it's not like we're one move away from a championship. 

Wendell isn't a terrible spacer for a 5 but he should shoot more threes honestly, hate those possessions where he doesn't even look at the rim. All his shots are catch and shoot and he got up to 35-36% last season. If he can stay at that but shoot a little more I'll be happy and that'll be fine. (Wish we could give Wendell the offensive aggressiveness of Mo honestly)

It's just the combo of Paolo/Fultz that really don't feel like they fit at all. And since Paolo is a sophomore coming off a 20ppg ROY campaign and Fultz is an expiring contract in his 7th season the writing looks to be on the wall. 

46 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

Would we all be this down if Paolo had made that 3 at the end of the game? I didn't watch the game but I'm curious if we're overreacting because of the L and how the narrative would change on this board (as it always does) when it's a W instead. 

Yes I’d still be upset if Paolo hit that 3. We should have never been in that position to begin with. Paolo repeatedly killed our momentum in the 4th will all his turnovers, missed shots, and offensive fouls. Why did the coach insist on running the offense through him in crunch time when he was clearly struggling is beyond me. Fultz and especially JI sat out entirely too long in the 4th. Only reason we changed the momentum of the game and took a 10 point lead was because JI was wreaking havoc on defense and attacking the basket on offense which lead to him getting fouled repeatedly and actually making most of his free throws. Now is Paolo the only person to blame here? Definitely not because we missed way too many free throws as a team and were just plain careless handling the basketball with many unforced turnovers. However when it mattered the most Paolo cost us this game with his head scratching decision making along with Mosleys untimely rotations. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, OnlyFranz said:

Yes I’d still be upset if Paolo hit that 3. We should have never been in that position to begin with. Paolo repeatedly killed our momentum in the 4th will all his turnovers, missed shots, and offensive fouls. Why did the coach insist on running the offense through him in crunch time when he was clearly struggling is beyond me. Fultz and especially JI sat out entirely too long in the 4th. Only reason we changed the momentum of the game and took a 10 point lead was because JI was wreaking havoc on defense and attacking the basket on offense which lead to him getting fouled repeatedly and actually making most of his free throws. Now is Paolo the only person to blame here? Definitely not because we missed way too many free throws as a team and were just plain careless handling the basketball with many unforced turnovers. However when it mattered the most Paolo cost us this game with his head scratching decision making along with Mosleys untimely rotations. 

we lost it from the time he subbed in, I’m pissed at how selfish he is, wasting possessions over and over when the mindset has to be trust your teammates!

Not even clunking it,he turns it over and over

For a team that is mostly focused on def, we conceded a whole lot of easy points in the 4th quarter, a lot of them while insisting with Mo. I've shared my doubts about the coach for all last season already, so I'll not insist, but we need to see improvement with both players and coaching too.

For all the rest, I mostly agree with CT, and that's not a good sign. Are you a bit more negative about that team than last season, aren't you? :)