Soul Bro

2023-2024 General Game Thread

AB is back in the game now …I’m watching every possession he stands in the corner or wing 3 point line extended and there is nobody within 10-15 feet of him …watch for yourself …what do you think that means for our drivers and or basket attackers 

Boston pretty much played 5 on 3 all game on defense. No fear at all of AB and Goga on that side of the ball. It’s amazing what we’ve been able to do so far, but we need Wendell and Markelle back bad

I am not watching the game right now because I'm trying to take care of some financial matters. But as JJZFL said, ". . .maybe if we had a few more passes and moved the ball from side to side we wouldn’t constantly be going 1vs 3 on offense".  That's what we were doing when we won 10 games in a row (making more passes).

Btw, we need a good starting point guard REAL bad. I have not been sold on Black, going back to the summer league games. I know. . .it's the development thing. However, in my opinion, we cannot afford to experiment at this point. We need a point guard who can shoot and help to spread the floor--not stand in a corner. AB ain't it. Other players are bringing the ball up the floor instead of AB.

Oh yeah, and the dejected look (with his head down) when he was not able to execute offensively. He cannot afford to do that--just pick himself up and get back into the game.

Go ahead and down vote me.

2 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Boston pretty much played 5 on 3 all game on defense. No fear at all of AB and Goga on that side of the ball. It’s amazing what we’ve been able to do so far, but we need Wendell and Markelle back bad

I don’t think that AB and Goga are incapable on the offense. It’s just the Paolo and Franz show and the others just sit back and watch.
Badly designed offense. 

35 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

I don’t think that AB and Goga are incapable on the offense. It’s just the Paolo and Franz show and the others just sit back and watch.
Badly designed offense. 

They’re good at some things, but they’re terrible for spacing. Kelle isn’t gonna help much with that, but Wendell will. The more I think about it, it we want to hit our ceiling we need to trade for shooter that we can throw in the starting lineup to help with spacing. 

1 minute ago, ball junkie said:

Franz down to 30.2 from 3 …and he takes the most on the team at 5 per game 

This is ridiculous. He has to stop just jacking them up like he’s Steph. They need more movement on offense. Instead of four guys watching one. 

(after about 2 mins left in the third quarter I just skipped ahead to see if we ever got close)

What a horrible performance. Rested against a team down several rotation players on a back to back and we **** the bed with terrible turnovers, stagnant offense and pretty average defensive intensity.

Paolo and Franz both did more harm than good. And sure some of that is they were being keyed in on defensively but some of the decisions they were making was baffling. Why the ***** are you calling for a screen with a random Boston 10th man on you when the screener is being guarded by Jaylen Brown? Paolo Banchero should see that he's being guarded by *****ing Sam Hauser and just go score. That's what stars do. (Also some of Paolo's defense was not good)

Goga was good offensively but that's no surprise given he matched up with 6'7 Lamar Stevens for a lot of the night. Defensively he shouldn't have been on the court. They put him in a screen with Tatum as the ball handler and a shooter as the screener over and over and cooked us. I'd have rather had literally anybody on the court defensively at that point. 

Man I wish Paolo could play the 5 at all defensively because we should have gone to it here but he's literally never looked at all like he understands or has willingness to play great defense when he's been asked to play the 5 in the NBA despite his summer at FIBA. 

I thought Anthony Black played as well as can be expected for a rookie who the opposing team can just ignore on offense. 

At this point I'm chalking up Sundays game as an L and hoping we bring it at home against the Heat. 

Rough game. These Turnovers were just plain stupid at times. Just throwing it in the hands of the Celtics.. 

This is one of these games where i see the need of another play caller to advise Mosley. 
The Celtics were actually pretty bad defending centers in this game. But where is the adjustment to this? We could and should have let Paolo and M. Wagner post up more. M. Wagner needed to be more in there with the starters and we should have let M. Wagner cook Tatum (who was guarding bigs mostly) in the paint. 

Instead we followed their game design and we went small. 
Pick and Roll was used by good success with Bitadze, but we stopped doing it. 

7 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

They’re good at some things, but they’re terrible for spacing. Kelle isn’t gonna help much with that, but Wendell will. The more I think about it, it we want to hit our ceiling we need to trade for shooter that we can throw in the starting lineup to help with spacing. 

Your quote about Kelle and spacing I see spoken a lot about here …and I haven’t looked at numbers or done any research on it …but by my memory of last season Kelle was very very good at that midrange jumper …opposing teams definitely had to be aware of where he was and he had to be guarded or he’d have killed you …when he took a couple steps back to the arc was where he didn’t take shots and or lost his efficiency .

Anyway, thought I'd point that out though he can’t help us if he’s in street clothes .

I’m not really sure why we don’t find AB more in the offense. He seems to make the right cut or the shot. His shot looks okay. He’s over 50% from the field. Yes, he’s 32% from 3, but it looks good most of the time, just slow getting it off. And he moves the ball well. I think other teams ignore him because we do on that end.